Loyde Green Bud

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Ronny Line

Loyde Green Bud

Post by Ronny Line »

Can anyone tell me what is the difference between the the square and round front Loyde Green model? What do you look for to tell the difference? The round front seems to be more valuable. Are the mechanics different or what. Ive found one for sale and really dont know how to value it. I have a sho-bud proffesional with the rack and barrell now, and I sure dont want another one. Thanks for any help
Dennis Wallis

Post by Dennis Wallis »

The main difference is the undercarriage. The changer,and the whole assembly were changed on the later models.I have one of the older & one of the later models.However, there was a brief period where the large keyhead and wide pedals were used on the newer type bodies. You can look at the changer end and tell if it has the new type undercarriage,etc. If it has the nylon tuners then it's the later model. HOWEVER,I have heard of installing the newer type nylon tuners on the old pull rods. The later models also have triple raise / double lower changer.If in doubt turn it over & look underneath.More than likely if it has the narrow pedals & nylon tuners it is the later model.
Ronny Line

Loyde Green Bud

Post by Ronny Line »

Thanks Dennis, It does have the nylon tuners and the narrow pedals. Any idea of its worth?
Dennis Wallis

Post by Dennis Wallis »

Hard to place a value on it without knowing more about it. They are increasing in value everyday seems like. If it's in good shape I'd say it's worth around the 2000.00 range. Plus or minus depending on condition and your pocketbook. :D I have one that is almost mint cond & I wouldn't take 2000.00 for it.Maybe you can get a better description of it & some pics. That might help.
Jim Walker

Post by Jim Walker »

If I had a time machine I'd go back 7 years and buy up 100's of the LDG's that were for sale around $700, store them and sell them now and be RICH.

Truth be told I have wanted an LDG for a couple years now but at these current prices I'll have to pass.
Show Pro D10, Session 400
Ronny Line

LDG

Post by Ronny Line »

BUT, what makes the demand so high? Is it the mechanicks? The tone? The sho-bud name? The rariety? The rest pad? Please tell me what.
James Morehead

Re: LDG

Post by James Morehead »

Ronny Line wrote:BUT, what makes the demand so high? Is it the mechanicks? The tone? The sho-bud name? The rariety? The rest pad? Please tell me what.
Yep, all the above. Oh yeah, the color. 8)
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

Ronny, Another factor, and probably, THE factor, is the Shobud "LDG" model is actually a piece of living history, ESPECIALLY the earky roundfront LDG's. There is a real fine explanation from Lloyd Green himself, on another thread in "Pedal Steel"--"What tone difference is there between the SD-10 and the S-10". 8)
Chris LeDrew

Post by Chris LeDrew »

Jackson Steel Guitars
Web: www.chrisledrew.com
John Walden

LDG

Post by John Walden »

I'm certainly glad Gary Preston was kind enough to let this baby go to California. My first Sho-Bud. I have a good idea now how a PP sounds, how a Rains sounds, and an LDG. An I couldn't be happier.
http://www.myspace.com/johnmwalden

Rains SD-10
Emmons SD-12 PP
Sho-Bud LDG
Fender Twin w/ JBL's
Mesa Boogie Mark IV x 2
Peavey 112 w/Knob-Guards x 2
Al Vesel

I'm with you, Jim on the LDG

Post by Al Vesel »

Just like you Jim, I have wanted an LDG for a long time, but I refuse to pay the kind of prices they are going for. If we all do that, all we are doing is inflating them more. They are a nice guitar, but not worth $2,000.00. I just passed on one for $1,700 because the more I thought about it, you can get a great D-10 for the same price.

I love my Mullen and will continue to just enjoy that.
I think at these prices that they are going for, I finally got the idea of owning one of these off my priority list.

Al Vesel
Emmons LeGrande SKH D-10 - WALKER STEREO STEEL AMP w JBL ENCLOSURES & TC ELECTRONICS M-ONE XL PROCESSOR, HILTON VP,FURMAN POWER CONDITIONER, SARNO's Steel Guitar BLACK BOX,BJS,ToneMaster bars,FENDER Strat, FENDER & Ovation acoustic's