T C Furlong amps

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Chuck Thompson

T C Furlong amps

Post by Chuck Thompson »

Has anyone on the forum seen, heard or own one of Mr. Furlong's amps? Ouch!! I was at the CISGA steel jam in morton illinois yesterday, and T C Furlong played a great set using one his own designed and built amps. It was about the size of a peavey bandit 65 but had a weight of only about 29 lbs(speaker and power amp!) and sounded absoluteley HUGE!. It was extremely well put together and also a very attractive amp (modern size but classic and tasteful look). From the front it looks to be merely a speaker cab with the input and controls on the back. He played through a revelation preamp into His amp and His tone was crisp and clear yet round on the low end and sweet on the top. I never imagined such a sound could come frome such a small and Extremely light amp. The price makes it an even better value. I am probably not supposed to say the price on the forum but I dont think anyone is going to find a boutique built amp/speaker combo like this for anywhere near his price. If you havent heard one of these amps yet, do yourself a favor and go hear TC Furlong (a great player and gentleman as well)or someone else playing on of these amps. I am definately a believer in Furlong amps and hope to purchase one in the near future!
Jerry Erickson

Post by Jerry Erickson »

Chuck, this is a powered speaker cabinet only. TC has a Revelation preamp running into it plus a reverb unit...... Ooops, you sure did Chuck. I guess I passed over your revelation because the r wasn't capitalized. Sorry 'bout that.
Last edited by Jerry Erickson on 26 Jun 2007 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chuck Thompson

Post by Chuck Thompson »

hi jerry - yes i mentioned that TC played through a revelation pre amp though i didnt mention the reverb
Mike Black

Post by Mike Black »

zzz
Last edited by Mike Black on 13 May 2011 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pete Smith

SPLIT Powered cabinet

Post by Pete Smith »

I got my cab a while ago, and while waiting for my Rev Pre. I preamped it with my NV112. It was pretty doggone good. WAY better than the 112 alone. The SPLIT (that's what TC calls it) is a 29 pound powered cab with a neo 12 in. speaker and a power amp that puts 300W into the 8 ohm speaker. When I got my Rev from Brad the whole system got exponentially better. This setup is out-of-this-world great. VERY loud, VERY clean, with that wonderful tube sweetness. Brad says the the tubes break in a little and it gets better in the beginning. I didn't think it was possible, but he was right. I think it has reached its broken-in sound now ( I hope so, if it gets any better I'll want to marry it).
There is a reason that Brad and TC each use the other's product, and I surely know what that reason is. These things compliment each other amazingly well. The cabinet is very neutral sounding, and faithfully reproduces the output of the Rev. There are other posts on here that also address this. I can't thank both TC and Brad enough for their superb equipment.
Pete Smith
Chuck Thompson

Post by Chuck Thompson »

Jerry - yeah i miss caps alot. i am am a terrible typist. i see why you missed my mention of the pre-amp, by the way - I loved your set at the steel jam sunday - great playing great material great band.
Chuck Thompson

Post by Chuck Thompson »

Hi Mike, no the amp isnt tube driven but the Revelation pre amp is. I am jealous of Pete for already having that outfit and saving my money for one.
T. C. Furlong

Post by T. C. Furlong »

Hey guys, thanks very much for the nice comments about the SPLIT self-powered speaker cabinet. I just got the web site up. Anyone who would like more info can go to www.tcfurlongcustom.com

TC
Marlin Smoot

Post by Marlin Smoot »

I was able to play through Pete Smith's rig very recently and it's everything Pete said. The power and tone with the Rev and TC is truly a work of art. (Pete's GFI is 'Ultra' nice too). Drool factor is 10 cups.
Alan Rudd

Post by Alan Rudd »

Yep! He had a couple of his amps @ Bobbe's today playing the new Jackson's through them. Very sweet!