My first electric lap steel recording (National New Yorker)

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Fred Kinbom

My first electric lap steel recording (National New Yorker)

Post by Fred Kinbom »

Hi folks,

Although this 1947 National New Yorker was the first lap steel I bought, it was acoustic lap steel that really got me hooked. But now I've been returning to this lovely instrument, alongside the Weissenborn, and here is my first electric recording (demo of a tune I came up with yesterday while trying out a tremolo pedal):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-NZ1seHs6A

G-minor tuning (I've been living happily inside this tuning since February ;)). Sorry about the crappy vocal, but it's just a demo (a bit of reverb would have "helped").

I approach the New Yorker in pretty much the same way as my Lazy River, so I guess it's not "orthodox" steel playing. I don't use any fingerpicks, for instance. Also, string blocking on electric lap steel is a different animal!

I would really appreciate any feedback and advice how to polish up and improve my electric playing. Also, if anyone has any recording tips on how to best capture a warm, clean sound, that would be great!

The signal chain here is:

National New Yorker -->
T-Rex Tremster pedal -->
Fender Blues Junior amp -->
SE Electronics SE1A mic (but I guess plenty went through the SE2200A vocal mic as well) -->
Behringer Xenyx 1202 mixer -->
Computer.

Cheers,

Fred
Tom Pettingill

Post by Tom Pettingill »

Thats cool Fred, I enjoyed it very much 8)
Rick Alexander

Post by Rick Alexander »

Very groovy Fred!
Michael Papenburg

Post by Michael Papenburg »

That was a really nice song. I think that your transition to electric is going very well. I can see that it is an extension of your acoustic approach but I don't see anything wrong with that. I noticed that you didn't use any vibrato so you might work on incorporating a bit of that but it wasn't really missed due to the tremolo. I also thought that the tone of your lap steel was quite nice so I don't have any recording tips - just keep it up :).
Chris Drew

Post by Chris Drew »

Hey Fred, you should be chuffed with that!

You have such a quirkily intense mellow vibe, if such a thing exists! And a very distinctive style which does translate very well to the electric steel.

BTW, do you get to see many other steel players at all? To me it seems such a rare thing over here in the UK. I've seen a few guys with dobros but that's about it...
Fred Kinbom

Post by Fred Kinbom »

Thanks a lot guys! :)

Chris - no I haven't met many steel players here in the UK. Across the Channel though, in France, I've enjoyed the company of fellow slide fanatics. ;) Mainly thanks to Ben Harper, there is a substantial lap slide interest over there. I played at a gig in Paris last month that was organised by the guy who set up the French slide forum - it was a great night of Weissenborn, dobro, squareneck Tricone, electric lap steel and bottleneck performances.

Anyway - thanks all for the encouraging words! Playing the New Yorker through the Fender Blues Junior is such a pleasure! :)

Fred
Chris Drew

Post by Chris Drew »

Hey Fred, kinda off-topic, but you have that Noe & Most book about Knutsen, right? ( I did a forum search :wink: )...

I posted that "travel-sized acoustic steel" thread ( no reply yet :cry: ) can you help me out with any info? Cheers!

Chris
Gerald Menke

Post by Gerald Menke »

Hey Fred,

I applaud anybody who tries an unorthodox approach with the steel guitar, pedal and non-pedal alike. The pressure to play in accordance with the tried and true gear and techniques is immense in the steel guitar world, and I respect anyone who tries to find their own way. That said, I wonder if you might try playing with a thumbpick and fingerpicks sometime. It really makes a world of difference in tone, and I think focuses the attack on each string more. Also, I might vary where you have your right hand, i.e. try playing a bit closer to the bridge sometimes, I think a more present, rich tone is hiding back there. But, man, you are boldly going where few have dared to tread with the singing, unorthodox sound and pickless thing so follow your muse on this one.

Someone else posted a Wilco video, and Nels Cline, who is one of my guitar heroes, plays pickless too, and he's touring the world right now, so who knows, maybe you guys are onto something.

If you would like to hear some of my playing, go to:

www.myspace.com/geraldmenke

there are songs by artists I've played with there, on pedal steel and dobro. Hope you like them.

Best,

Gerald
David Siegler

Post by David Siegler »

Fred, very nice, very moody, very New Yorkerish! :wink:
Fred Kinbom

Post by Fred Kinbom »

Hi Gerald,

Thanks for your input! (Am listening to your playing as I write - it sounds great!). I use fingerpicks sometimes, but coming from a barfingered picking background on "normal" guitar I have to honestly admit that I'm more comfortable playing without picks, and having made very mellow and quiet music so far this year, barefingered has worked fine.

I get more and more fascinated by the way one can colour the sound on both electric and acoustic steel - where on the string you pick, like you wrote, and so on (the other day I came up with a weird improvised piece where I picked by the bridge and as far down as the 5th fret (!) and everywhere in between ;)) - so I'm sure those picks will see more use eventually. :)

Many thanks for listening and for the advice!

All the best,

Fred
Fred Kinbom

Post by Fred Kinbom »

Thanks David! :)

By the way, I have found a 1930s New Yorker with hidden pickups like yours! A real eBay bargain too - it's on its way and I can't wait! :)

Fred
David Siegler

Post by David Siegler »

Keep us updated! It will be interesting to hear about the similarities and differences of the two you own.