OSGA Puts Together.......

Upcoming steel guitar shows, concerts, jam sessions, club dates, etc.

Moderator: Dave Mudgett

Jerry Horner

OSGA Puts Together.......

Post by Jerry Horner »

.....one of the best steel guitar shows anybody would want to see. Norma and I were only able to attend on Saturday but what a Saturday it was. Steel players were exceptional, singers were extrodanaire and the back up band was super. Norma got to meet her favorite steel player, John Hughey. She was on cloud nine.
Thanks John Buffington and to all your crew for showing us once again what a good time is all about.

Jerry
David Young

OSGA Memorial Day Convention

Post by David Young »

Jerry,

It was good to see you for a little while on Saturday and I agree with you about the players, the singers, the staff band, John Buffington, the board members, as well as all of the OSGA. Congratulations on a super job in all areas pertaining to the 13th annual memorial day convention. It just felt like a good family reunion. I won't attempt to call out specific special moments or performances, IT WAS ALL TERRIFIC!! I can hardly wait 'til next year. It seems like it gets better and better every year if thats possible.

Thanks for a great show!
David
Hello to all my steel guitar playing friends. You are in my prayers as you travel to all the shows. I'll see you when I can. Rev. David L. Young / 2007 Martin D-41 Special, 1999 Tacoma DM-9, 2012 Bourgeois Cocobolo back and sides with an Adirondack Spruce top.
Don Walworth

Post by Don Walworth »

I fully agree.... plus a tip-o-the-hat to the two Non-Pedal players.... they danced with their guitars and made it look like a lot of fun!!! Thanks!!

Plus the vendors... we found some great CD's, plus picked up some much needed strings from Fred. Thanks to the vendors for coming.

Pat and Don
Texas
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

Jerry, It was fun to have you stop by and visit George and I in the Georgeboards/John Coop room. And a BIG thanx to all who dropped by to visit and check out the tone goodies!! The John Coop parts/refurbishing was well received. We had a blast with my Blonde '70 Shobud Professional Coop conversion, my '67 Shobud fingertip, and Mr. Ed's ORIGINAL Shobud Professional. A lot of folks went back in years with cool shobud stories while they picked these three cool vintage guitars!!

Mr. Georgeboards has it happening with his tone to the bone beautiful georgeboard guitars!! If you ever wanted to own a lap steel, George Piburn has the cream of the crop!! George had some single necks and a sweet double neck, all with the looonng legs so you can stand up and play, as well as several models of lap steels---all made with different exotic woods. And the pickups in George's steels are stunning tone candy "like you ain't heard before"!!
And, I'd like to mention George has spent years working his craft of building steels, as well as playing and designing the finest lapsteel instruction on the planet. George's EASY instructional material can take you through Hawaiian, blues, rock, western swing, country, folk, gospel, ect.

Fred Justice, Mark Giles, Bobby Bowman had the goods there--craftsmanship at it's best!!--Good to see ya'll again!!

There were many vendors I didn't get a chance to meet--there was just so much happening. My point here is at the Tulsa show, you could sure find about anything you might need for your playing interest, as well as many fine cd's.

And the music all weekend was just jam up. And that includes the SOUND!! And what a jam-up house band Tulsa has!! They sure took care of every artist, and did it with CLASS!! Thanx John Buffington and friends for all your fine efforts to produce such a fine show! If ya didn't make it this time, be sure to mark your calender for next year!! See ya next time!! 8)
Darvin Willhoite

Post by Darvin Willhoite »

This was probably the best OSGA show I have ever been to, and I think this was my 8th year. The players were all good, Russ & Laney were great on their sets, Robby Springfield, man what a picker, and his wife (sorry I can't remember her name) belted out some great vocals. And of course, what can be said about Scotty Henderson, except WOW.

The backup band was fantastic, especially Larry King on that acoustic bass, and Uncle BJ did about the best job mixing sound that I have ever heard at a steel show. He was always on his toes when one of the musicians played a break. I guess sound men that don't pay attention are my pet peeve. I can't stand not being able to hear a musician's break until halfway through the break. This didn't happen in Tulsa.

Thanks John and all the other OSGA members for a really good show. See you all next year.
Darvin Willhoite
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.
Robby Springfield

Post by Robby Springfield »

Thanks to all that attended the show this year. We had a ball! A special thanks to John Buffington, Jody Sanders, and ALL of the band members. I dropped a couple of new charts on the band and they handled them with ease...thanks guys for all of your hard work. Even the staff at the hotel was execptional this year...very friendly and helpful. We enjoyed visiting with all the fine folks and we look forward to the next time.

Thanks,
Robby & Jimmie Lou
Fred Justice

Post by Fred Justice »

My thanks as well, to John Buffington for inviting me back for the 13th annual OSGA Show. You and your staff did a wonderful job of putting this show togather, thank you. It was a good show for sure, got to do a lot of visiting with good friends and take in all the wonderful steel playing.

My thanks to the back up band, great job again.
Thanks to all who visited our vendor room and helped support our efforts.
A very special thank you to the Newberrys and Stewarts, who are always there to lend a helping hand, God bless you all.

I'm already looking forward to next years show. In the mean time folks, if there is anything I can help you with in our products, just let me know, God bless each and everyone of you.
Email: azpedalman@gmail.com
Phone: 480-235-8797
Jerry Stout

Post by Jerry Stout »

It was great performances by everyone,especially Robby and Jimmie Lou and of course The Missouri wild man Scotty Henderson.Margaret and I didn't get to make it until Sat afetrnoon and Sunday.Thanks to John Buffington and the crew for putting another
great one together. Pictures did'nt turn out to good but here is some of them.
Last edited by Jerry Stout on 28 May 2007 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Legrande D10,lacquered D10 Zum,D10Pedalmaster non pedal,D8 Gibson console,NV112,NV1000
Jeremiah Hanley

Post by Jeremiah Hanley »

All the above is so true and it would be hard to add to it except for one thing. The church service on Sunday was exceptional! Jess and Steve sang songs that really touched the soul. Their plain and true words about the Lord and the soul's condition were right to the point. Robby also spoke some powerful words about getting ready to meet God. Wayne Smith's selection of songs was tops! He has such a beautiful touch and his choice of chords made the melody ring in your hearts. Russ, Laney, and John Hughey made it a wonderful Sunday morning.
Robby Springfield

Post by Robby Springfield »

Thanks for all the kind words. We had a great time and the whole gang from OSGA was great. Special thanks to the hardest working band in the biz and the sound man...you did great again.

We met some new wonderful friends that made the trip even better. We hope to see all again real soon.

Robby & Jimmie Lou
Curt Shoemaker

Post by Curt Shoemaker »

I would like to thank John Buffington and all the folks involved in putting on the OSGA show. A big thanks to the great guys in the back-up band and set up crew. I never can say enough about all those who come to the show and support steel guitar. Bottom line --- it was one great show!!

Shoe
Scott Henderson

Post by Scott Henderson »

You along with everybody else sounded great buddy!!!
D-10 JCH Dekley U-12 D-8 Magnatone Mullen RP Evans RE 200 profex 2 BJS bars
Dentyne gum (peppermint)
Wayne Smith

Post by Wayne Smith »

Jeremiah, Thanks so much for the kind words. It was my pleasure to play in the Tulsa Show. John and all his staff along with the great band and fine list of players, has produced a winning show this year. The fellowship of all my friends was worth the trip, but to be able to play, was an added bonus. Looking ahead to next year for another great time with good friends. God Bless all of you for your untiring work.
Wayne R. Smith
Dana Stewart

Post by Dana Stewart »

Just a quick thanks to all the OK guys for having Austin on the show. We all had a great weekend. Enjoyed all the fine picking and singing and all the fellowship with friends. It just doesn't get any better than hearing John Terry and Larry King sing together. At least I didn't think so, until Scotty Henderson got up there and picked and sang and those two joined in with him. Randy says that was the highlight of his weekend.
john buffington

Post by john buffington »

I can't agree more having John Terry back is an answer to a lot of hard "prayin". I feel it took the show to a higher level. He's also committed to coming back next year in '08 and we cannot hardly wait. Larry and John together - what a team! A special thanks to both of them for building our set list for Saturday night. I definitely had my work cut out for me - but loved every minute of it!!!!!!

John Buffington
Sissy Privitt

Post by Sissy Privitt »

This was our first time to the show but it won't be the last. Everything and everybody was great. The hotel staff also did a great job. My husband and I really did enjoy The Country Classics Sat. nite. A special thanks to Mr. Buck for letting me sing on his set.
It was great so see so many friends again and wonderful to listen to everybody that played or sang on the show.
Looking forward to next year already. My husband liked the show and people so well that he joined the OSGA.
Sissy and Glen Privitt
Jody Sanders

Post by Jody Sanders »

Glen and Sissy, It was so nice visiting with you folks at the show. Hope to see ya'll again real soon. Jody.
MARK GILES

Post by MARK GILES »

Thanks to John and the OSGA for putting on a great show and for having me back again this year. The show keeps getting better every year.
It is always such a great time to play with Larry King, Dewayne Bowman, John Terry, Buck, and of course Roy and Paul. Those guys are great and sure put up with a lot from the rest of us.
Lots of great playing from "papa" John, Russ, Robbie, and my friend Scotty Henderson.
Do yourself a favor and not miss next year's show. Mark
Scott Henderson

Post by Scott Henderson »

It was great to see you Mark ol buddy. Your building a good ax. Thanks for letting me test drive it. Still reeling from the weekend!!!
D-10 JCH Dekley U-12 D-8 Magnatone Mullen RP Evans RE 200 profex 2 BJS bars
Dentyne gum (peppermint)