Help converting WAV to MP3..

The machines we love to hate

Moderator: Wiz Feinberg

Bob Carlucci

Help converting WAV to MP3..

Post by Bob Carlucci »

I'd like to post some clips of me doodling on my latest steel guitar aquisition..I would like to stick it on a file hosting site so you guys can have a good laugh or two.. or six or seven...

anyway, I am a dolt when it comes to this sort of thing.. I did a little of it years ago, but forgot the technology, never to relearn it. The sites I used are harder for me to navigate and use than they used to be it seems.. Is it possible to email wav files to someone to convert to mp3 and send them back to me,or can I not send WAV files thru email??...I would appreciate the help of a forum buddy... bob
Colin Goss

WAV to MP3

Post by Colin Goss »

Bob get CDEX - free program which will do the conversion for you automatically.

Go to http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/

Best of Luck

Colin Goss
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

Colin..Can't get it to download.... bob
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

"Audacity", which is a free and very good recording program will also export wav files as MP3 files.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
richard burton

Post by richard burton »

Try 'Audacity'
Import it as WAV, export it as mp3.
Will Holtz

Post by Will Holtz »

I was under the impression that to get Audacity to do the conversion you also needed to install Lame. Is that no longer the case?
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

all this is too hi tech for my limited computer ability.. I did find one or two fairly straightforward converters, but I am not willing to spend $30.00 to post a couple of 30 second clips of just me and my MSA playing near the cat litterbox.... bob
Greg Cutshaw

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

Bob,

Windows Media Encoder is a free download that will convert .wav files located on your hard drive to either mp3 or .wma files with just a few clicks. It's normally part of the Windows Media Center but it can be added onto the Media Player for free.

Greg
Ray Minich

Post by Ray Minich »

Bob,

E-mail me your snail mail address and I'll send ya some toys....
Burr Oxley

Post by Burr Oxley »

I've been using a freeware called Switch for about two years now, and it seems to work just fine!
Curry Coster

Post by Curry Coster »

Bob-

You can download freerip for free (naturally) from www.freerip.com....I've used it for years--converts wav to mp3 or vice versa, also rips tracks from cds.

Curry
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

thanks guys..I was finally able to convert the WAV files with freerip.. like all the others it downloaded several other unwanted programs.. I did get the files converted, and deleted all the programs.. kind of a hassle. but I got it done with all your help ..thanks !!! bob
Joe Harwell

Audacity/LAME

Post by Joe Harwell »

What Ray said...

Yes you do still have to load LAME to export to mp3.
All that is covered at the Audacity site.

The documentation is great. It is very simple to understand and clearly written. Not a lot of jargon.

Audacity worked for me copying cassettes to CD.

Patch the cassette(or turntable or 4/8 track or reel to reel or whatever) in to your sound card to record into Audacity. Then export to mp3. I've really learned a lot about editing using Audacity and did a pretty good job of cleaning up some not so good recordings.

But if you already have it in .wav format,
what Greg said about WMP.

And it looks like when the next version of Audacity is stabilized, it will handle much larger projects and more efficiently.

Of course, I'm sure, it is no secret.
Joe in LA

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant of the weak & the strong; because, someday in life you will have been all of these".
richard burton

Post by richard burton »

I also use Audacity to capture streaming audio.
Set the input to 'Stereo Mixer', set the input volume very low, and press record :D
Joe Harwell

Capture stream with Audacity

Post by Joe Harwell »

Thanks for sharing that, richard.

Wonder if that would work on any media format that plays thru your machine?

Also, I think your playing is wonderful and appreciate the tab and sound files you post.
Joe in LA

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant of the weak & the strong; because, someday in life you will have been all of these".
Gary Ulinskas

Post by Gary Ulinskas »

I tried Greg Cutshaw's idea and downloaded Windows Media Encoder. WHen looking for the source file, I cannot get it to recognize any files on my CDs. All my CDs and computer downloads in my Windows Media Player Library are paid for and from legal sources. The only way I am able to get Encoder to detect a file from my Windows Media Player Library is to make a copy of file and place it on my desktop. When I go to make the conversion to MP3, bells and whistles start and a message tells me "The file found in C:\Documents and Settings\......XXXX.wma" is not a valid source file. It may have unsupported or invalid format or may be corrupted. You need a license to perform the requested operation on this media file (0xCOOODOBBE).
Next I tried Burr Oxley's idea of using SWITCH. When I went to the website and hit the download button
my McAffee put up a Site Advisor Window that said,
"In our tests we found downloads on the site that some people consider to be adware, spyware, or other unwanted programs."
So I am still without an MP3 converter. Any comments on whether downloading SWITCH causes problems would be appreciated.
Gary Ulinskas
MSA S-12 + Walker mono
Al Marcus

Post by Al Marcus »

I had a Wav to MP3 converter, that I downloaded it and used it for a month, now lost it and can't find it. I don't remember the name . but it was so simple to use. one screen and you checkmark Wav to Mp3 or Mp3 to wav, you can drag and drop the songfile name you want to covert, or write in the URl name. and clik and it is done.!!It was the easiest one I ever saw. If it is still on my computer, somewhere, I wish I could findit.Any ideas from you guys of that one, Thanks...al
Michigan (MSGC)Christmas Dinner and Jam on my 80th Birthday.

My Email.. almarcus@cmedic.net
My Website..... www.cmedic.net/~almarcus
Wiz Feinberg

Post by Wiz Feinberg »

Al;
You are looking for CDEX
"Wiz" Feinberg, Moderator SGF Computers Forum
Security Consultant
Twitter: @Wizcrafts
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog
Al Marcus

Post by Al Marcus »

Wiz-Thanks for your help. I found the program I lost and was looking for. It was under my Software Programs folder instead of Recording Programs folder.

For all you guys looking for a great easy to use Wav to MP3 or MP3 to Wav. It can do batch files too. Here it is--ABC-Amber Audio Co...Free..It is now on my Desktop...al.:):):)
Michigan (MSGC)Christmas Dinner and Jam on my 80th Birthday.

My Email.. almarcus@cmedic.net
My Website..... www.cmedic.net/~almarcus