Steelers around San Jose?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Randy Brown

Steelers around San Jose?

Post by Randy Brown »

I'll be in San Jose, CA next week for a business trip. Just wondering where to hear some good music in this area. Thanks!
Charlie Wallace

Britannia Arms - Aptos

Post by Charlie Wallace »

A little bit of a drive (30 - 45 minutes) from San Jose, but I'll be at the Britannia Arms (8017 Soquel Dr) in Aptos with Larry Hosford Thursday night.
Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Post by Mark Eaton »

Don't know when you have to go back home, and it's about and hour and twenty minute drive north from San Jose across the Golden Gate Bridge into Marin County (if you avoid rush hour), but one of the nicest clubs in the region is Rancho Nicasio.

www.ranchonicasio.com

On Friday evening, 3/9 it'll be Big Sandy & The Fly Right Boys.

On Sunday, 3/11, it'll be long-time Bay Area guitar master Gary Vogenson, with steel guitar hall-of-famer Bobby Black.

These guys sound wonderful together!

You can always tell the steelers and hard core steel fans in the audience at a Bobby Black gig. We're the ones that have to pick up our jaws from the floor at the end of the night... 8)

He should be designated a National Treasure.
Mark
Randy Brown

Post by Randy Brown »

Awesome. Thanks guys. I'll be in town through friday night, leaving on saturday. Britannia Arms looks like a pretty reasonable drive.... Charlie what kind of music do you guys play, and what time do you get started on thursday?
Billy Wilson

Post by Billy Wilson »

You wont be dissapointed when you hear Charlie pick!!
Chris Bauer

Post by Chris Bauer »

I'd love to hear Larry Hosford. It must be at least twenty years or so since I listened to his albums and always liked them. Clever and heartfelt at the same time. I seem to dimly recall that Ernie Hager played on them as well as maybe Frank Reckard. (?)

It's good to hear that he's still kicking around! I bet it's a musically fun gig.
Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

I used to have that "AKA Lorenzo" record,I wish that I still had it.
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Charlie Wallace

Larry Hosford

You might say that Larry Hosford is the Shakespeare of Country Music. I put up some videos from a show we did several years ago, you can watch them at: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... rch=Search
Yes, Ernie Hagar played with him and Larry wrote the linear notes on Ernie's last CD. Frank Reckard also played with Larry, as well as a bunch of other mighty fine players. More info is on Larry's web site (http://www.larryhosford.com), where his CD's can be found. We usually start up around 8:30. It would be pleasure to meet you.
Charlie Wallace

Randy, I must apologize . I had forgotten that I'm leaving for Dallas Thursday morning to both visit my brother and attend the TSGJ and I won't be with Larry Hosford in Aptos. Larry will be playing as usual and is always worth seeing with or without a steel player. Hope my lapse of memory hasn't caused any complications in your travel plans.
Randy Brown

Post by Randy Brown »

Hey Charlie, no worries. Have a great trip and enjoy the TSGJ. I may still get out to the show, depending on how busy I am with work stuff. Oh, and thanks for the link to the videos!
Patti Maxine

Post by Patti Maxine »

Hey Randy,

I am playing lap steel in Santa Cruz today but
it is 5:30-8.Here is the info. (cut and paste
in your browser.

theislandbreezeband.com

cheers,
Patti Maxine