"Cowboy Peyton Place".......steel player?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Chris LeDrew

"Cowboy Peyton Place".......steel player?

Post by Chris LeDrew »

I just heard this hilarious tune by Sir Doug and the Texas Tornadoes. Who's playing steel? Great pickin'........

I love the line: "I'm in love with the steel player's wife".
Jackson Steel Guitars
Web: www.chrisledrew.com
Pete Finney

Post by Pete Finney »

The original version from the 70's has Harry Hess on steel, the remake from a few years back features awesome playing by Tommy Detamore, who produced Doug's last album...

A little personal trivia: I moved to Austin in 1979 to join Doug's band; the first place we played was the "Soap Creek" Saloon mentioned in the song, and I later met my (now ex) wife there. (we played that song a lot though it predates me and MY "steel player's wife"). I believe that song was a true story about a guitar player that worked with Doug, and that the instrument was changed to protect the innocent!
Chris LeDrew

Post by Chris LeDrew »

Great stuff, Pete....thanks! I'm not sure if the version I heard was the remake or the original. Either way, great tune and a great introduction to this band.
Jackson Steel Guitars
Web: www.chrisledrew.com
Roland van Beveren

Post by Roland van Beveren »

Yes Chris, with lyrics like that everyone of us should own this album! This last record by the great Doug Sahm The Return Of Wayne Douglas (2000) is one of my all time pedal steel favourites. Tommy Detamore's smooth and soulful sound is incredible and the steel is way in front in the mix. To quote the liner notes: "As country as chicken-fried steak". A classic!

Roland
Bob Blair

Post by Bob Blair »

There was an Ottawa-area outfit, which I believe went by the name "Barnes and Gamble", that had a song with the title and hook line "I'm Stealing the Steel Player's Wife". My old Vancouver bandmate Kathy Barnes (sister of the "Barnes & Gamble" Barnes) played me a tape of it once. It went something like...."I'm stealing the steel player's wife, while he's downstairs practicing minors.....".
Last edited by Bob Blair on 5 Mar 2007 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ron Deardorff

Post by Ron Deardorff »

I'll whole-heartedly second Roland's endorsement of this album ("The Return Of Wayne Douglas")... A truly one-of-a kind achievement. Everything sounds like it was done a little better and with a little more heart than what is normally found, maybe cuz Doug passed before it was completed, I don't know, but whenever I hear it, I have no problem believing that it may be the greatest country record ever recorded (which Tommy apparently not only played on, but produced as well).
Bill Terry

Post by Bill Terry »

I alway enjoy that record, especially after I haven't heard it in a while and I 'discover' it all over again. My understanding is that after Doug's passing, it became very much a labor of love for Tommy and Bobby Flores to get it finished. Both were very close friends of Doug. Tommy worked some real magic turning 'scratch' vocal tracks into what you hear.

It's also pretty obvious that Doug loved steel guitar, it's just all over every cut.

Edited to add: My favorite tune is still "Oh no!, Not another one"... :)
Jason Longoria

Post by Jason Longoria »

Man I sure miss Doug Sahm ... So many styles and a killer groove, one of my favorite songs is Country Groove, "I don't know what happens when I hear ole George Jones sing, and I don't know what happens when Lefty says, always late..."

www.myspace.com/sirdougsahm