Picking with two fingers.

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bill Dobkins

Picking with two fingers.

Post by Bill Dobkins »

A little over a year ago I almost lost my index,my thumb and middle fingers on my picking hand.After two hours of surgery and a year of exercise I'm almost back to normal. Except for my index finger. I lost about 1/4 inch of it plus the end is numb
so its really hard to use a finger pick on it . I can play my guitar OK but the Steel is another thing. I'm doing alright playing slow stuff (background) but I don't think I'll ever be able to be the player I want to be. Any suggestions:::
James Sission

Post by James Sission »

I am not sure what kind of problem that is causing for you, but I lost my right thumb. What was left of it was surgically replaced but I have no feeling in it. I use hair spray on it and it makes the pick stick so I don’t have to watch to see if it is in place or not. Other than that, I just got used to playing with no feeling in my hand. You can certainly overcome it with ambition and will and desire.....James
Bill Dobkins

Post by Bill Dobkins »

Thanks James, I do have both. I've been told I would never play my Tele again but I'm almost back where I was, except I'm not as fast.
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

I play guitar with a flatpick and two finger picks on middle and ring fingers. You might consider thumbpick and middle/ring finger picks. The middle/ring pair is not naturally as strong as index/middle pair, but I think it's possible to strengthen them by hard practice.

Of course, you may want to consider moving to thumbpick + 3 finger picks - index, middle, and ring. Perhaps your index can come back in time, and then you would have full use of all 3.
Bill Dobkins

Post by Bill Dobkins »

I play my Tele with a flat pick between my thumd and index and also use my middle finger (no pick). I've played this way for years and do OK. My problem is when I play steel I have a problem using a pick on my index. I wonder if I could get by without the index.
Rich Weiss

Post by Rich Weiss »

Have you checked out Jeff Newman's right hand alpha video?
In that video he encourages players to use the thumb and second finger, not really using the index finger.
But you also have to change your hand position, somewhat. It takes a while to pick it up. This works especially well for speed-picking.
And if you don't mind not hitting 3 strings at the same time, it should work for you.
Darvin Willhoite

Post by Darvin Willhoite »

Here's a picture of my friend Mike Wright from east Texas. If you can get past that beautiful guitar, look at his right hand. I haven't heard him, but I'm told he can play the fire out of a mandolin too.

Darvin Willhoite
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.
Donny Hinson

No problem!

Post by Donny Hinson »

Bill, if you can't use your index finger, that's doesn't have to be a problem. Just hold it up a little out of the way and use picks on the middle and ring fingers. (Like the guy Darvin posted a picture of.) Sid Hudson does a great job playing using a flatpick (between his thumb and index finger), and finger-picks on the middle and ring fingers!

If that seems less than ideal, check out this old thread...

http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum15/HTML/011873.html

(Food for thought.)
Tom Mossburg

Post by Tom Mossburg »

Rich Weiss is totally on about Jeff Newmans stuff. All his speed picking is done with the thumb and middle finger. Also his Up From The Top series (I think) pretty much is dedicated to just those two fingers. He does some really nice stuff that way. Good luck and stay with it.
Mike Winter

Post by Mike Winter »

I must be a weird duck. I'm most comfortable with my thumb and index finger. I think due to an injury years ago, I have a heck of a time getting my bird finger to do anything...it's like it's drunk! Just wondering...since Jerry...please, no flames...since Jerry was missing half of his middle finger, did he use just his index finger, or did he use his index and 4th finger? Pete Grant, please answer if you know. :)
Tom Mossburg

Post by Tom Mossburg »

Mike there's a lot of indexers out there including me. That leaves the bird finger free for when it's really needed!
Jody Sanders

Post by Jody Sanders »

A little over a year ago, I almost lost my left hand. Part of my wrist still has no feeling It still takes a real effort to keep from dropping my bar and keeping the bar straight on the frets. By the Grace Of GOD and therapy(squeeze the ball) I am able to play at a reasonable level. Just check in with JESUS occassionally, and practice a lot, and you will do OK. Jody.
Ron Kirby

Post by Ron Kirby »

I practice finger rotation while Im driving,, But I keep the the Bird finger free in case I need it. I use my fourth finger on the horn too.
Charlie McDonald

Post by Charlie McDonald »

Was it not the index finger Jerry Garcia lost somewhere?
And he still turned out to the greatest steel player... well, if not alive, dead.
Seriously, it must be tricky to retrain those nerves. I understand nerves seek new paths when damaged. Good luck.

"The Grateful Dead are dead, and we're grateful."
--National Lampoon, "Lemmings"
Those that say don't know; those that know don't say.--Buddy Emmons
John Daugherty

Post by John Daugherty »

Bill, now is the time to start using the middle and ring finger. When I first started playing, I was all thumbs anyway. I could have played with my toes I suppose, if I started that way.
Bill, our late friend Jim Merrell was left handed. When he wanted to start playing bass, he asked me if he should get a left handed bass or learn to play a right handed bass, left handed. I suggested that he learn on a right handed bass so he could use anyones bass guitar. As you know, Jim developed into quite a bass player and he did it playing a right handed bass.
If you start learning with the good fingers, you should have no problems.
Nic du Toit

Post by Nic du Toit »

Hi Bill,

You can get by using mostly just the thumb and middle finger.
Due to a health setback I had two years ago, I use this combination 99.9 percent of the time.
In my signature you will see four albums I did......Besides 'Nightmare' all the others were done since my 'setback' using only those two fingers. Give it a listen and let me know what you think. It's amazing what new (?) techniques one can come up with, when forced to !
Regards,
1970 P/P Emmons D10 flatback 8x5, BJS Bar, J F picks, Peavey Session 500, Telonics pedal. Boss GX700 effects.
Dennis Schell

Post by Dennis Schell »

Where there's a will, there's a way amigo...

My great friend Ray Morrison, monster PSGist and fine PSG builder plays without the use of his right foot. His right leg is amputated just below his knee and he uses a "lever" volume control that clamps on in place of a foot pedal. You'd never know by his playing that he has any sort of "handicap".....
You can do it Bill!

Best regards,

Dennis

(BTW, the guitar in my avatar is a "Morrison"....)
"Bucks Owin"
Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

I forget his name but the steel player with Eddie Rabbitt for a good while used his fingerpicks on his middle and ring fingers. I'd heard it was because he started on guitar first and used the finger picks with a flatpick and when he went to steel he just put down the flatpick and put on a thumbpick and just left the fingerpicks where they were.

Also, Nashville session ace guitarist Brent Mason uses a thumbpick and his middle and ring finger for most things he does. He also has accrylic nails on those two fingers....JH in Va.
Don't matter who's in Austin (or anywhere else) Ralph Mooney is still the king!!!
Brian McGaughey

Post by Brian McGaughey »

Hey Bill,

Is your index finger both numb AND sensitive? I ask because I'm missing 1/2" of my right index finger and it took a couple of years for the sensitivity to completely go away. Five years later it's still slightly numb which is beneficial to keeping a pick on it as I've got it so tight on my index finger it doesn't budge.

Keep after it! Your numbness/dexterity issues may improve. Or like previously suggested, move them finger picks down a row and strengthen 'em up!...good luck.
Jay Jessup

Post by Jay Jessup »

OK I don't see anybody from Richmond Va on this thread but there was (maybe still is alive??) a fellow named Ray Garrett that was the manager of Hull Street Music in south Richmond in the 70's, they were a Sho-Bud dealer and Ray played a crossover he did not have either a thumb or index finnger on his right hand and just used three fingerpicks on his middle, ring and pinky. He was a big Chalker fan and could do a super job sounding like him, there was no way you could tell he was handicapped like that when hearing him play onstage. There's also a well known Hawaiian player who doesn't have any fingers on his bar hand and uses some kind of holder to attach the bar to his arm. Where there's a will there's a way!
Terry Wood

Post by Terry Wood »

Hi Bill,

I know somewhat of how frustrating it can be when a person can't play because of a physical problem. I am currently having carpal tunnell problems and it is bothering me alot.

Next, I play with three finger picks and a thumb pick. I suggest you start working on using the other finger. Don't get discouraged and give up. I believe in persevering regardless of what lies in front of us.

As I post this, I am thinking of Django Reinherdt who became one of the greatest guitarists of all times. He lost some of his fingers in a tent fire. He was born into sort of a gypsy type family. But after the fire incident he didn't quit but rather began to reteach himself all over how to play the guitar. Wow! He was a true Master of the guitar and the musical world is a far better place because of his efforts.

May GOD bless you!

Terry Wood
Bill Dobkins

Post by Bill Dobkins »

Nic du Toit wrote:Hi Bill,

You can get by using mostly just the thumb and middle finger.
Due to a health setback I had two years ago, I use this combination 99.9 percent of the time.
In my signature you will see four albums I did......Besides 'Nightmare' all the others were done since my 'setback' using only those two fingers. Give it a listen and let me know what you think. It's amazing what new (?) techniques one can come up with, when forced to !
Regards,
Makes me want to move to Africa....Awesome picker.
Bill Dobkins

Post by Bill Dobkins »

Terry Wood wrote:Hi Bill,

I know somewhat of how frustrating it can be when a person can't play because of a physical problem. I am currently having carpal tunnell problems and it is bothering me alot.

Next, I play with three finger picks and a thumb pick. I suggest you start working on using the other finger. Don't get discouraged and give up. I believe in persevering regardless of what lies in front of us.

As I post this, I am thinking of Django Reinherdt who became one of the greatest guitarists of all times. He lost some of his fingers in a tent fire. He was born into sort of a gypsy type family. But after the fire incident he didn't quit but rather began to reteach himself all over how to play the guitar. Wow! He was a true Master of the guitar and the musical world is a far better place because of his efforts.

May GOD bless you!

Terry Wood
I have friend in camdenton that plays fiddle that has carpol tunnel. He can't play but about 15 min. at a time. you might know him Tony Smith
Bill Dobkins

Post by Bill Dobkins »

I do thank everyone for your help. I'm not about to let this stop me from playing the steel. As a matter of fact I just finished a song I had been writing.I laid down some steel on it and it don't sound to bad. If I knew how to post music I would let you'all hear some of it. Everyone needs a laugh. Anyway I now know the index finger isn't all that important.. Thanks.
Mike Winter

Post by Mike Winter »

Charlie M -- Jerry lost his middle finger on his right hand at the middle knuckle. His brother Tiff accidently cut it off while chopping wood on a camping trip when Jerry was a kid, about 4 yrs old I believe.