Don't use that tone with me!!

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Michael Douchette

Post by Michael Douchette »

Donny, points well taken. I apologize for perhaps sounding a bit shallow and rude. BUT:
Sure, your little clock-radio sounds great
Dude, what do YOU have? Mine sounds like crap... :lol:
Mikey D... H.S.P.
Music hath the charm to soothe a savage beast, but I'd try a 10mm first.

http://www.steelharp.com
http://www.thesessionplayers.com/douchette.html

(other things you can ask about here)
http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/o54/Steelharp/
Steve Riddle

Post by Steve Riddle »

thanks again for y'all's comments! A couple of "Honorable Mentions" go to:

David Doggett..for defending the honor (and grammar) of a Southern Belle.

Gene Simmons...for sending me the link to y'all.com. I can see a subscription in my wife's near future.

Gabriel Stutz and Rich Currier..for at least being familiar with the term.

and last but certainly not least.....Norman Carlton...for expanding my knowledge of hunting coons with poodles!

Thanks to Mikey D., C. Christofferson and Donny Hinson..I made very slight gradual changes in the settings and changed the location of the amp. What I found was a tone that was close to what I was looking for.

And thanks again to all who took the time and made the effort to give this newbie some help and support.
Steve
Donny Hinson

Thik nothing of it!

Post by Donny Hinson »

8) No need to apologize to me Mike, I'm a nobody. Still, we can always have fun agreeing to disagree! I've done a little studio work (probably not near as much as you have), and I'm just a hacker (certainly not a great player). Still, I believe you need a certain amount of volume for the amp's tone to "bloom". Like anything else, though, volume can be taken to ridiculous extremes very easily. It a balancing act sometimes to get good tone and be heard, without blasting out the front row. I've played with loud dynamic bands and with very quiet, reserved ones, as well. The scary thing is that I enjoyed both!
Davie Holland

Post by Davie Holland »

Let me add my $0.02. Many a time I`ve struggled with my sound on stage, tweaking every knob and switch I can find to get that "perfect" tone, only to find that someone in the audience had recorded the whole show, and that the sound was good throughout the whole night. The sound changed slightly, but the stuff I thought sounded terrible actually sounded ok on the tape!
I guess we all have our "comfort zone" with our sound. Find it, and you feel like you could play anything. Get outside the zone (be it room acoustics, stage, PA) and you feel like you are playing a shoe box with elastic bands!
My advice is....if it sounded good in the living room, it will sound just as good at a louder volume!!

My 2 cents!!!

Davie
Jim Sliff

Post by Jim Sliff »

Wow - "Gene" Simmons commented on "y'all"? Was he wearing the Kabuki makeup while playing steel as well? Was it a bass-steel?

:wink:
No chops, but great tone
1930's/40's Rickenbacher/Rickenbacker 6&8 string lap steels
1921 Weissenborn Style 2; Hilo&Schireson hollownecks
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional
Greg Simmons

Post by Greg Simmons »

Gene Simmons and steel guitar: a tenuous connection? well, this does get close:)

"Gene Simmons and Shannon Tweed dropped by the Nicktoons Studios in Burbank, CA this week to voice act on an upcoming episode of Nickelodeon’s SpongeBob SquarePants called “20,000 Patties Under the Sea.” In the episode, Simmons will voice the role of the menacing Sea Monster who is fed Krabby Patties by SpongeBob and Patrick in attempts to keep his anger at bay. Tweed plays the Sea Monster’s mother who comes to her son’s defense after being insulted by Plankton.

While developing the episode, executive producer and KISS fan Paul Tibbitt felt Simmons’ voice would be perfect for the role. Simmons agreed and brought Tweed on the project.

"I was born for this part. I've been waiting all my life to be a Sea Monster. It's in my blood. It's what I do. It's my job. SpongeBob is jealous, as well he should be. I was brilliant," said Simmons.

“20,000 Patties Under the Sea” will air on Nickelodeon in 2008."
<i>�Head full of this kaleidoscope of brain-freight, Heart full of something simple and slow�</i>
-Mark Heard
Bill Brummett

Post by Bill Brummett »

David Doggett wrote:Rick, y'all as singular is a Hollywood creation. No true southerner ever means it that way. Yes, you will see one person address another person with something like, "How y'all doin'?" Even though there is no one else standing there with the person addressed, it means "How are you and your family and friends and dogs and everybody over at your place doing." Southerners are very family and group oriented. :)
Rick

"Yinz" sure about that??????
Mitch Ellis

Post by Mitch Ellis »

Steve,
As a born-and-raised southerner from Mississippi, I can officially confirm that "ya'll" is a "legal" word!:) I am also a coonhunter, but don't use poodles.:) I use purebred blueticks! For a poodle, catching a coon might be easy. turning him loose, on the other hand, would be a problem!:) About your tone, just KEEP PICKING! DON'T GIVE UP! Sooner or later, you'll find the tone that "fits".
Mitch