Curly Chalker Lick - "I Love You A Thousand Ways"

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bobby D. Ray

Curly Chalker Lick - "I Love You A Thousand Ways"

Post by Bobby D. Ray »

I am trying to learn exactly how to play the famous Curly Chalker lick on "I Love You A Thousand Ways". I have that lick on a Stoney Edwards song called "Hank and Lefty Raised My Country Soul", on which it sounds like Weldon Myrick playing the lick. I am real close to playing it right ... but not exactly. Anyone have any guidance for me?
C. Christofferson

Post by C. Christofferson »

B, If you're able to put in on file and mail it, i will run it through the machine 4 u. "The machine knows what to do."

custom steel / recordings
John McGlothlin

One way that I try to learn a lick

Post by John McGlothlin »

Hi Bobby....that reminds me of a Hank Thompson song called Ages and Ages Ago..He has Curly Chalker on steel and during the second verse...Curly does a beautiful ascending run.....I have a recording software and I just edited that one section out and then reduced the speed about 30 %. I just allow it to play over and over until I'm able to figure out what he's doing. Beleive me....it works. I use the DAK Wave/MP3 Editor and Recorder.
Jeff Lampert

Post by Jeff Lampert »

If you can post it here or e-mail it to me at jr.lampert@verizon.net, I'll take a shot at it.
Gary Walker

Post by Gary Walker »

Wow another recording that I don't have. I thought I had most all of them but this one slipped by me.
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

I don't have the Stoney Edwards recording, but I just listened to Lefty's recording of "Thousand Ways," and Chalker doesn't have a much of a solo or licks.

HOWEVER, if you're talking about the lick in "Always Late," it's originally a Joaquin Murphey lick found on the intro to "Steel Guitar Jubilee."

Anyway, here's the lick, C6 tuning, key of A

[tab]
3____2---3---5____10--|--9______________
4____2---3---5____10--|--9______________
5_____________________|_________________
6____2---3---5____10--|--9______________
[/tab]

On E9, it's

[tab]
5____3---4---6____11---|--10______________
6____3---4---6____11---|--10______________
7______________________|_________________
8____3b--4b--6b___11b--|--10b_____________
[/tab]
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?