Bobro pedal

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Francis Smyth

Bobro pedal

Post by Francis Smyth »

Some feedback please on the bobro made by Bobby Seymour.How does it compare with other dobro simulators.
Mark van Allen

Post by Mark van Allen »

Hi, Francis, I've had several versions of the Matchbro and I think the BoBro compares very favorably for less $. Not an "exact" reso sound, but quite convincing when you play and phrase like a reso player would. Just playing standard steel phrases sounds more like an EQ effect. Staying away from the higher strings, and playing out of triad shapes helps a lot with the sound. One of the handiest things with the BoBro is having no adjustments to get caught up in, turn on and go.
Ken Byng

Post by Ken Byng »

Bobbe demo's this pedal on his web site with a video.
Tim Harr

Post by Tim Harr »

This pedal was the 'fix' for me regarding duplicating a Dobro in a <b>quick paced live situation</b>.

As previously stated... it has to be played with a "6 string Dobro mindset". If a PSG player stays within the context of a Dobro way of thinking.. it is a very capable substitute.

There are other opinions but this one is mine, someone who has actually used it.
Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

I borrowed one for a recording session and thought it was great.I thought that it sounded a lot like the Pedabro on "Forever and Ever"the Randy Travis song..PF? that's the style I was going for on the song that I was playing on.I stayed away from my G# string on E9th tuning..it sounded a little funny once I got up there,I would buy one of these because you just plug it in and there you have it!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

I was just thinking that the Bobro and a lap steel would make a great sub for trying to mic a real Dobro.Where I live we have the worst sound people in the world,I have seen major recording acts cry,or get violent with the sound clowns up here,this would make it easier to control?
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Stu
Not only would a reso simulator... I use the DB5 by Kickn' Steel out of Canada... be great with lap steel, it's also best for "re-dobro-izing" an actual reso guitar when the equipped pickup and amplification de-dobro-izes the sound.

Danny Hawk was using a DB5 for awhile on a Regal reso, but he's playing mostly steel now.

I've been told that reso players are seeking out old Match-Bros for just such a purpose.
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Brad Sarno

Post by Brad Sarno »

Anyone got a schematic of an old Matchbro?

Brad
Brad Sarno

'82 Emmons S-10 push/pull, Revelation Tube Preamp, Furlong SPLIT powered speaker cab, V8 Octal Tube Preamp, Ganz Straight Ahead power amp - JBL D130
John Macy

Post by John Macy »

No, but I have one that is acting up--want to take a look at it...??
Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

Herb,I would like to check out the DB5...I won't be able to find one up here,Tell Danny Hi,are you dragging him to Mesa?Oh by the way..I have been harassing an old friend of ours,and yes John Macy's also to show up in Mesa?I've been working on him to show up for months...we shall see,Stu
John Macy

Post by John Macy »

I'll be there, Stu--leaving for North Carolina this weekend and going from there to Phoenix on Wednesday...cya there...