best amp for a stringmaster

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Jack Musgrave

Post by Jack Musgrave »

I tried a 68 super reverb amp with my guitar today. 4- 10 inch speakers really have a warm crisp sound. I tried a twin with 12's but actually liked the super amp just a little better. after playing the guitar through peavey amps for a while, I can certainly tell the difference with the tube sound.
Gary Lynch

Post by Gary Lynch »

My ears tell me that for a really full tone which would have adequate bass and good sustain, I use amps with either one high quality 15", or 2 -12", or 4 -10" speakers. Tube or solid state, whichever is your politics.
Ron Brennan

Post by Ron Brennan »

Alas, for me, it's been my "60" Fender Concert Amp, 4-10" Jensen Speakers. I bought it new back then, been on the road with it. It has proven indestructable and totally reliable (just 1 small tube change after all these years). The sound/power for me is optimal and can stay with anything out there.

But truely, it is a monster to transport due to it's weight and because it stands tall. I finally got a foldable hand truck to save my back. Again, for me the Stringmaster sounds fantastic through it, so I won't change it.

If I had to change though, I would be thinking about a Twin Amp....TX

Rgds,

Ron
JCFSGC member 2005 "Be of Good Cheer"
"55" Fender Stringmaster D8,
"83" Emmons LeGrande 77L SKH D10 8 & 5,
"67" All Original Telecaster & Original Owner
"86" Peavey Factory Modified NV 400,
"60"Fender Concert Amp 4-10"s, RV-3, Upgraded chip set GE-7 EQ, CH1 Chorus, DS-1, Hilton, BJS Bar.
Mark Tomlinson

Post by Mark Tomlinson »

I love my 1971 Vibrolux Reverb - it's a 37.634 watt 2-channel amp with tremelo, into 2 x 10" Jensen speakers.

Bill McRoberts

Post by Bill McRoberts »

Ron,
I have got to agree, the foldable hand truck really takes the drudgery out of transporting a heavy amp and makes it worth the trip. The wheels are a bigger than casters if your amp is equipped. With most venues handicap accessible these days it makes it a non-stop trip from your vehicle. you can pick up these folding hand trucks at "Wally-World" in the travel bag section for about 40.00 bucks. A tool worth every penny.
....Bill
Michael Devito

Post by Michael Devito »

When I did have a Stringmaster, that and other steels sounded perfect through a BF Super Reverb. I no longer have the SR or Stringmaster ... last night plugged my Gibson lap (EH-185) into a Sewell Wampus Cat. This is in the tweed pro zone, 2x6L6, 30 watts or so with a Weber California paperdome 15" speaker. Wow, now I know why steelers like 15" speakers. Notes down low shaking the house, higher up sounds like bells ringing. Sweet amp for steel!
Dan Tyack

Post by Dan Tyack »

'54 Fender Pro with the Jensen speaker!
Bill McRoberts

Post by Bill McRoberts »

Tuuuuubes! 8)
Phil Morgan

Best amp for a stringmaster

Post by Phil Morgan »

I had an '61 Stringmaster and it sounded great through my Fender Vibrasonic Custom (silverface) re-issue. Had to tweak the tone and blend a bit, but it was fine and kept that old Stringmaster sound (didn't get confused with any other Steel sound). Still got the amp and play my Dual Pro and 1000 through it - reliable as anything. Full and even sound is what I've wanted and always managed to get, whether at a gig or lower volume in house. Know the tone you want alongside the style you want to play and stick to that!
Papa Joe Pollick

Post by Papa Joe Pollick »

:D I too have a hand truck with pneumatic tires.The only lifting I do is with my knees.I alway use at least 2 amps,depending on if I have to double up on lead or not.A 1962 Concert,a 64 [modded] Super Reverb,a 62 Deluxe, a 59 Super.I set my Stringmaster up with the dry sound to the Concert and the Deluxe with a Fender tube reverb in front of it.Thats my favorite set-up for the Stringmaster. :lol: Wee.PJ
Drew Howard

amp

Post by Drew Howard »

I played my Stringmaster thru a friends Deluxe Reverb RI and fell in love with it. My SF Twin Reverb is perfect for pedal guitar yet too clean for the Stringmaster....