Mr. L.T. Zinn's Guitar

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Rick Collins

Mr. L.T. Zinn's Guitar

Post by Rick Collins »

Does anyone know the scale length of Mr. Zinn's guitar? I see that he uses the thin strings.

What is the brand and approx. year of the guitar?

Many thanks, Rick

Sorry b0b, I posted this in the wrong section __ please move.

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Rick Collins on 07 March 2006 at 08:38 AM.]</p></FONT>
Joey Ace

Post by Joey Ace »

Which guitar, Rick?

LT plays an MSA Classic S-10 (3P-4K),
a Guild Archtop six string,
and several non-Pedal guitars?

Depending on your answer this post belongs in
Pedal Steel, Music, or No Peddlars.

I'll move to to Steel Players for now.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Joey Ace on 07 March 2006 at 09:12 AM.]</p></FONT>
Rick Collins

Post by Rick Collins »

He stands and plays a double-neck on HSGA web site.
Joey Ace

Post by Joey Ace »

Fair enough, I'll move this to No Peddlers.

That's the guitar of his I don't know.
Derrick Mau

Post by Derrick Mau »

I'm pretty sure it's an Epiphone - double eight.
Howard Tate

Post by Howard Tate »

I have his "Aloha from Hawaii" cd. The credits say he used a 1938 double neck 8 string Epiphone Electra Steel, with a Randall RSA 500 Amp. This is a wonderful cd.

------------------
Howard
Jeff Au Hoy

Post by Jeff Au Hoy »

It's an Epiphone doubleneck, refitted with new pickups.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Jeff Au Hoy on 26 March 2006 at 07:35 PM.]</p></FONT>
Bill Creller

Post by Bill Creller »

The last time I looked at LTs Epiphone it had 10 string pick-ups under the eight strings, which put each string between two pickup poles. Unusual, but sounds good.
Don Kona Woods

Post by Don Kona Woods »

Is one more verification necessary?

LT's non-pedal is definitely a worn and used Epiphone D-8.

LT is my friend and we have been to each other's home numerous times.If he has more than the MSA 10 string pedal and the Epiphone D-8, he has never told me.

And if he has more steels and has not told me then we have some talking to do. Image

Aloha,
Don
John Tipka

Post by John Tipka »

Mfg in 1938
Evelyn Whitney

Post by Evelyn Whitney »

As soon as "the man" gets back from the
Dallas show, I'm going to have him sit right down here and answer all of the above.
Thanks for the interest.
He is playing non-pedal at the Dallas show.
Evelyn
David Phillips

Post by David Phillips »

I gave Mr. Zinn that Epiphone Electar guitar after seeing him play the Steel Convention in the early 90's.
I had seen a picture of him in the Highway 101 Boys where he was sitting in front of the other band members with that same model guitar in his lap.
I told him that I really enjoyed his set and then I asked if he still had the Electar.
He told me how much and often he thought of and missed that guitar and I immediately offered to give him mine.
He was touch by the gesture but it took a little convincing that I was serious.
He finally accepted and sealed the deal by giving me a big hug.
It is very gratifying to see him using it. I do miss the guitar a little but I could see he missed it more than I ever will and he is making such beautiful music with it.
Mr. Zinn is a treasure.

David Phillips
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

Cool story, David. <font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Mike Neer on 10 March 2006 at 01:37 PM.]</p></FONT>
Andy Hinton

Post by Andy Hinton »

Just got home from the TSGA show. Had the pleasure of several long chats with Mr. Zinn. He is a very nice,friendly man, like all steel guitar pickers. He had a booth at the smoking door,& the Steel in question sat at the end of his table all weekend,except the 30 minuets it was on stage in the no-pedal room. He even showed me the patch on the holes in key pans where it once had the home made pedalpulls a lot of us put in after Jim Reeves recorded (He'll Have to Go) I think everyone in the room will agree, although Len is 80 yrs. young, he is still a picker & a showman. He got s couple of standing ovations & big hands on every tune he did. IMO he should have been on the big stage. A real pleasure. Andy Hinton
Don Kona Woods

Post by Don Kona Woods »

<SMALL>IMO he should have been on the big stage.</SMALL>
It just goes to show you some people don't recognize talent when they see it or in this case hear it. Image

Aloha,
Don
<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Don Kona Woods on 12 March 2006 at 09:26 PM.]</p></FONT>
Evelyn Whitney

Post by Evelyn Whitney »

L Ts Epiphone electar double neck is 32" length and the string length from the bridge to the nut is 22 7/16".
The pickup was built by Bill Lawrence and is a 9 pole pickup on a 8 string double neck.
L T is forever grateful to David Phillips who gifted him with this guitar.
When L T was with the 101 Ranch Boys in the 50's he used a newer model electar Ephiphone double neck as well as a fender double neck and some single neck steels like a E-harp tuned to C6 with variations.
He used a small Oahu single neck steel when they were on long tours, as they traveled in cars in those days and needed to conserve space. Thanks for your interest.
Evelyn

Howard Tate

Post by Howard Tate »

Meeting and visiting with L.T.Zinn was one of the biggest high lights of the Dallas show. And he was on the big stage, playing rythmn guitar, and playing it like it should be played, no vamps or fills, just rythmn. I started playing when there was usually no drummer, and that's the rythmn guitar style that was esential. Mr Zinn looked very pleased to be there, and was a pleasure to talk to. Sorry I did not hear his steel playing, but I play his cd often and love it.

------------------
Howard
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

Ok, alright.....but I'm only doing this for Mr. Clean.... Image

Hmm, I can see below that L.T. & his steel are really "on the level"

Hey L.T.,....cheer up, will ya?..... Image<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by HowardR on 27 March 2006 at 05:04 PM.]</p></FONT>
Rick Collins

Post by Rick Collins »

Thanks for the pictures, Mr. HowardR.

The instrument looks good for its age __ not much crud on it, at all. It could easily be sanitized.

Mr. Clean Image
Evelyn Whitney

Post by Evelyn Whitney »

We enjoyed those pictures, Thanks, Evelyn and L T
Joey Ace

Post by Joey Ace »

Here's LT providing backup on a Uke, a few weeks ago at the TSGA.
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

and here's a photo of Joey taking the above photo of L.T.

We don't miss anything!

BTW, that was a baritone uke that Mr. Zinn was playing.....otherwise known as a "BLT"... Image<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by HowardR on 28 March 2006 at 04:48 PM.]</p></FONT>
Rick Collins

Post by Rick Collins »

<SMALL>Who the ____ cares how clean his instrument is?</SMALL>
Jeff, the joke isn't about Mr. Zinn's instrument __ it's about the alias I have aquired, Mr. Clean. See the caption above Howard's first picture.

I don't know the man; but I know his artistry and I appreciate his sound. And, of course I'm sure he is just as you have stated, he's "a warm hearted person".

Don't worry about your statement. You can see that I have cleaned it up. Image

Mr. Clean Image
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

<SMALL>I don't know the man</SMALL>

Rick, L.T. is the kind of guy who would give you the shirt right off of his back.

And I've seen him actually do that on stage at the HSGC in Joliet... Image Image

He does a mean Hula also.....<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by HowardR on 29 March 2006 at 04:28 AM.]</p></FONT>
Joey Ace

Post by Joey Ace »

<SMALL>"L.T. is the kind of guy who would give you the shirt right off of his back."</SMALL>
Ain't it the truth!. He actually gave away a Lap Steel he was playing on a Missionary Tour in the South Sea Islands a few years ago. An orphan expressed great interest in playing it, so Lenoard left it with him. Last I heard he still sends him strings.

The man "Walks the walk!"

Meanwhile Howard and I meet in Dallas and Flash each other.