Who is your favorite steel guitar hall of famer?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Buddy Emmons
40%
Lloyd Green
13%
Hal Rugg
2%
Paul Franklin
8%
Jimmy Day
5%
Curly Chalker
5%
Herby Wallace
1%
Tom Brumley
8%
John Hughey
13%
JayDee Maness
5%

Total votes: 153

Joe Alterio

Post by Joe Alterio »

We've finally got polls!! So, let's kick out one that everyone can enjoy....I'm hoping to see some surprising results.

You are limited as to how many you can list in a poll, so I tried to use those steelers who would most likely be the top candidates....I apologize to anyone left off.

Thanks!

Polling is confidential, so don't shy away! 8)
Last edited by Joe Alterio on 1 Jan 2007 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colby Tipton

Post by Colby Tipton »

You forgot to put a check box for all of the above.

Colby
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

My favorite hall of famer is Scotty. As Buddy Emmons said when Scotty was inducted, it's not how licks you can play, it's how many lives you've touched. Scotty has touched more lives, and done more for our community than all the people listed in the polls combined, He is the best frend any of us have ever had or ever will have.

Scotty, if you're reading this, I love you man, If I could choose my parents, I'd want you and Mary to be my mom and dad (although you're both far too young.)
Please visit my web site and Soundcloud page and listen to the music posted there.
http://www.mikeperlowin.com http://soundcloud.com/mike-perlowin
Joe Alterio

Post by Joe Alterio »

Early voting has Buddy running away with the lead (no surprise!) but Tom Brumley has 2nd place all to himself....deserving as well, but surprising!
Joe Alterio

Post by Joe Alterio »

Mike Perlowin wrote: Scotty has touched more lives, and done more for our community than all the people listed in the polls combined, He is the best frend any of us have ever had or ever will have.
I definitely agree with the sentiment, Mike. As you can probably determine, I was limiting the list and was not taking into consideration factors such as personality and other intangibles surrounding this great instrument. Had I done so, Scotty would have to be on that list.
Fred Shannon

List 'Em All

Post by Fred Shannon »

In all fairness, Joe, if you're gonna' do this kind of poll, shouldn't you list EveryOne who is in the SGHOF? Seems like you shortchanged a bunch of players. Hate Polls anyway. Always seems like a competition to me. :D

Phred
Joe Alterio

Re: List 'Em All

Post by Joe Alterio »

Fred Shannon wrote:In all fairness, Joe, if you're gonna' do this kind of poll, shouldn't you list EveryOne who is in the SGHOF? Seems like you shortchanged a bunch of players.
From my first post:
Joe Alterio wrote:You are limited as to how many you can list in a poll, so I tried to use those steelers who would most likely be the top candidates
:D
Fred Shannon

Post by Fred Shannon »

Sorry Joe, My Bad, I missed the last part of your first post.

Phred
Colby Tipton

Post by Colby Tipton »

Joe,
You can only have so many on a poll, who said you could only have 1 post to cover this topic. Why not put up enough post to cover all of the famers. 3,4 or what ever and everyone vote 1 time and lets see who tops them all.
Just my .50 on this.

Colby
Paul King

Favorite Hall Of Fame Steeler

Post by Paul King »

I have seen every one of these guys play at a steel guitar show. I have no problem listening to any of them. In fact, I wish I could see them sit down and play back to back. There are some who have passed on and are surely missed. My personal favorite has always been Buddy Emmons. That being said I still enjoy hearing all of these play and admire the talent they have to play at such a high level.
Walter Jones

Post by Walter Jones »

TOM BRUMLEY
David Higginbotham

Post by David Higginbotham »

Another for Mr. Tom Brumley. I just love that style & tone!
My second choice would be Jaydee tho!
Last edited by David Higginbotham on 3 Jan 2007 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'92 GFI D-10 8&6, ‘67 Emmons Bolt-On D-10 8&7, Walker preamp, Sarno Tonic preamp, Tubefex, Stewart power amps, Carvin XT tube amp, Webb Cabinets, all vintage JBL’s!
CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

it's how many lives you've touched.
in that case i vote fer b0b

then all of the above
Eddie Cunningham

Who is your favorite Steel Guitar Hall of Famer

Post by Eddie Cunningham »

You only mentioned Pedal Steelers !! All these players sat at Jerry Byrds feet and learned "steel guitar" from him !! Jerry led the way and is in a class of his own !! IMHO !!! # 1 is "The Byrd" !!!!
Jim McGinnis

Post by Jim McGinnis »

Mr. Emmons gets my vote.
Alvin Blaine

Post by Alvin Blaine »

RALPH MOONEY
Bernie Gonyea

Post by Bernie Gonyea »

Hello Fellow Steel Guitarists; I truly can agree with all you voters taking part in this poll.. Every0ne listed is a # one candidate . A question for you: Is Jerry Byrd a member of The Hall Of Fame ? If so, I have to be in total agreement with Eddie Cunningham. Certainly JB is the back-bone of the group called Steel Guitarists. Bless His Soul. I would like to see a complete list of all steel players that are part of this Special list.. Thanks; Bernie [ BING ] :D :D :D [/b]
Eddie Cunningham

Who is your favorite steel guitar hall of famer

Post by Eddie Cunningham »

For Bernie and any one who may not know, check out WWW.scottysmusic.com for complete list of Hall of Famers , Jerry Byrd was first one inducted in 1978 along with Avvino Rey and Leon McAuliffe !! None of whom were listed to vote on !! I still consider "the Byrd" as # 1 !! In a class all his own !! The others followed in his footsteps !! IMHO !!
Sam Confer

Post by Sam Confer »

I would just like to say that I have had both of my Emmons push pulls reconfigured by Brian Adams of Mountain City, Tenn and he did a wonderful job of setting up the pedal and knee lever arrangements ! I would definetly recommend Brian for any repairs you need on a push pull guitar.

I would also like to vote for Buddy Emmons in your poll of all time favorite player. My life has been influenced by many of the players but most of all by the Big E.

Sam Confer, Clearfield, PA
Gerald Ross

Post by Gerald Ross »

Where's Sol Hoopii and Dick McIntire?
Gerald Ross
'Northwest Ann Arbor, Michigan's King Of The Hawaiian Steel Guitar'

A UkeTone Recording Artist

CEO, CIO, CFO - UkeTone Records
Gerald's Hawaiian Steel Guitar/Ukulele Website
Bobby Caldwell

Post by Bobby Caldwell »

I have played guitar alongside all of the steel guitar players mentioned. When you are as great as these players are it is hard to separate them. Everyone has his own greatness and thats why they are where they are. I still get goose bumps at all the "Hall of Fame" players, past and present. I wouldn't take anything for the time I have spent with all of them. Bobby
Ron Kirby

Post by Ron Kirby »

My Choice would be Mr. John Hughey.
Cris Malone

favorite

Post by Cris Malone »

Don Helms
Danny Hammers
Location: Danny & Patricia of Floral City, Florida formerly of Fairdale KY.

Post by Danny Hammers »

Me to Cris
Don Helms
Last edited by Danny Hammers on 14 Jan 2007 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gibson Console Grand D8 - Weenick DT-10 - Dynalap S8 - TriboTone Bars
Nashville 112s - Vegas 400
Member:
Life Member of R.O.P.E. (Reunion Of Professional Entertainers) , NTSGA, GaSGA, PSGA, ASGA, MSGC, LMSGC, OzarkSGA
Larry Jamieson

Post by Larry Jamieson »

I admire and respect all these fine players, but I would vote for Mr. John Hughey...

Larry Jamieson