Tascam 388 Reel-To-Reel

Studio and home recording topics

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Travis Kline

Tascam 388 Reel-To-Reel

Post by Travis Kline »

I'm getting into doing some analog reel-to-reel recording and I found some of these floating around the internet. I'm looking for something affordable that sounds and works good, but mostly gives me some analog experience. My knowledge on these is limited so if anyone can help me out here, it would be greatly appreciated!
David L. Donald

Post by David L. Donald »

Travis Kline

Post by Travis Kline »

Thanks David!
Henry Nagle

Post by Henry Nagle »

I have one. The heads are pretty worn- to the point where track 1 is non functional on the recording head. Nonetheless, my band recorded our first album on it and it sounds really good! Especially if you consider what hacks we are as engineers.

They are a fine machine and easy to use. As long as you don't have to carry it around too much, I highly recomend them.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Henry Nagle on 01 December 2006 at 06:36 PM.]</p></FONT>
Gordon Borland

Post by Gordon Borland »

I have one I can part with. I now have two 1"
tascam 16 tracks. One in the studio and the other as a spare. Tascam is built to last just like my 74 MSA D10. I still have my 4 track Tascam Portastudio. I find a use for it every once in awhile but one of the grandkids has her eye on it. I dont have the 388 on the market but if you would like to have one I would take $900.00 dollars for it plus shipping. I am borlandg on Ebay. I also have the owners manual and remote control and a peavey phamtom power to go with it. I can provide pictures if you like. There is a learning curve on the 388 but once you get the hang of it you will find it is a dream to use and it is analouge so you get 100% of the signal recorded and not just a sample. You can find these cheaper on the internet and if you get one of them I will be glad to offer any tips that might be helpful. They are great units but must be maintained. I have the test tape and mine is at full specs.

------------------
Gordon Borland
MSA D10,FENDER STEEL KING,