How long have you been playing Steel?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Dan Peterson

Post by Dan Peterson »

Wow Don, my story much like yours. When I got it from a music store in Arkansas, (found a listing online, called and negotiated price, and bought it 'right') I was bit disappointed in the sound, but the guitar (even though grimy/dusty in need of major cleaning & TLC) was in excellent condition. I ordered a couple sets of strings from Bobby @SGF and BINGO, made all the difference in the world! I had to rehab the case also, (but don't take it out of the house anyway) so after selling a great National D-8, and a 'JB' Frypan 8, kinda regretting it, I'm happy I kept it and made the extra effort to make it 'whole again'It is a beautiful guitar, pickups are powerful, clear as a bell, and sustain is truly magical. Now, IF I can only learn to play it? (I've always been intimidated by 8-string steel), but am slowly warming up to it and becoming comfortable with the challenges & rewards it offers me. Nice to know you've got one too, just down I-5 from me. I've seen lots of steels in stores and ebay, but never one like this until I found it online. Don't think there are many Mag-Lyric D-8s around? Enjoy! Image dan
Derrick Mau

Post by Derrick Mau »

Baz,
Thanks for the information. Awesome!Couldn't help inquiring about it after seeing that amp sitting beside you. Image Image

Anyway, to get back to topic; I've been playing for 3 and half years. My 1st electric steel was a 7 string Rick.
Roger Edgington

Post by Roger Edgington »

I started on a lap Oahu steel around 1956 when I was in 4th grade. In the mid 40s my mother taught steel in Columbus,Ohio and my dad took lessons from her when he was about 17. They married a year later. I still have some of the Oahu lessons she taught from. I finally progressed to my dads 1954 D 6 Fender professional.

I play mostly pedal now but still have a single 10 in C 6th.
Jude Reinhardt

Post by Jude Reinhardt »

Resophonic off and on, but mostly off since 1978. Genuine electric C6 tuned six string Hawaiian guitar about six months. I look at musical instruments as I do fly rods and canoes, they're there if I want to use them. Obviously I'm not a musician, just someone who likes to make music occasionally.
George Rout

Post by George Rout »

I started taking lessons at the Halifax Hawaiian Studios in 1948 where you got a Stella the first year, and an S.S. Stewart the second year. Here I am in 1949 playing the Stewart with my nephew Greg!!!!!!

Hope the picture works!!!

Randy Reeves

Post by Randy Reeves »

I am a late comer to steel. about four yers now.
started electric and acoustic guitar way back in 65. I was fourteen.
I really love playing my new National Modal D square neck resonator.
I cant say if it is a girl or a guy , but IT and I have hit it off. I was meant to be a slide player cause I cant get enough of it.
two years ago I picked up a well used but wholly intact ShoBud pedal steel. three pedals and four levers. I learned a few months ago that a Mr Williams added to the extra levers.
on the inspection label I can clearly see D. Mars sig.
I know it will take another four lifetimes to really learn the pedal steelk, but I am having a ball getting there. what tone!
Steve Williams

Post by Steve Williams »

My first steel was a Supro that I played in a Country-Rock band in the mid '70's...got into Bluegrass in the '80's and played a Saga Regal when they first came out...currently play a Gold Tone Weissenborn in an acoustic duet with my wife. That's my story...(and I'm sticking to it!) Image
Bill Creller

Post by Bill Creller »

I started during the end of WW11, 1944, and played until 1956 or '57, and had a long hiatis until 1999, when I got hooked for the SECOND TIME.
I like Geralds beard in his old picture, he should grow it again!!
George Rout

Post by George Rout »

George 'Keoki' Lake has a couple of nifty early pictures of him playing, but his internet upload is causing some grief, so I'm just putting on the pictures for him. He will follow up with some comments. George Rout
Image <font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by George Rout on 13 March 2006 at 08:33 AM.]</p></FONT>
George Keoki Lake

Post by George Keoki Lake »

Mahalo George (Rout)... Those pics were taken in 1947 and 1949...I have an earlier one taken around 1943 but cannot locate it at the moment. The b/w double 6 was my design which a buddy of mine built for me. The other guitar was scrapped for parts to make the b/w guitar. The only disparaging part of these pics is the hair, of which very little remains. However, I still have the b/w hanging on my wall looking as new as ever.