Essential steel albums

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

George Rout

Post by George Rout »

Actually guys, I don't think there's an answer to the "top ten" steel albums. It's the same as when somebody new asks, "what's the best tuning", if 40 people answer, he gets 60 suggestions!!!!

Music is a taste and a "style" for us players. While my main mentor was Roy Wiggins, I may be the only one in 10 that likes the "crying steel guitar" sound.

I think the only solution of this thread is everybody is suggesting "their own" top ten albums.

Jolly George
Rick Kornacker

Post by Rick Kornacker »

And one more not to be overlooked..."Once In A Lifetime". Most all of us know, respect(and miss) Jeff Newman and his impact on the entire steel community.Many of us also miss the "tongue-in-cheek" antics and certain deliberate things that he did to demonstrate some of his teaching concepts....but this recording shows the man at his best as a true player...rubbing shoulders with the best of 'em. Check it out! Sincerely, RK

------------------
Brint Hannay

Post by Brint Hannay »

A couple of CDs with great steel backup that haven't been mentioned yet in this thread:
"The Essential Connie Smith", with Weldon Myrick, and
Ricky Skaggs "Highways and Heartaches", with Bruce Bouton, Lloyd Green, and Weldon.
Also the album "A Trip in the Country" by Roger Miller with Buddy Emmons, reissued on CD with other material as "Country Tunesmith", but probably out of print under that title too Image, but well worth hunting for.
And The Offenders "Reunion: Can't Get the Hell Out of Texas" features great work, both instrumentals and backup, by Jimmy Day.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Brint Hannay on 17 October 2006 at 08:17 AM.]</p></FONT>
Jim Meiring

Post by Jim Meiring »

It's not easy to add a thing to the great albums already mentioned, but 2 of my favorites are "Buddy Emmons sings Bob Wills" and "Hillbilly Jazz" with Doug Jernigan on steel. I don't know where both these great players sound more at home.
Roland van Beveren

Post by Roland van Beveren »

David,
I'm with Rob all the way, and add three more to this list:
The Byrds - Sweetheart Of The Rodeo (with Lloyd Green)
Linda Ronstadt - Linda Ronstadt (with Sneaky Pete, Buddy Emmons and Weldon Myrick)
Doug Sahm - The Return of Wayne Douglas (with Tommy Detamore)
Best to you from Amsterdam,
Roland

Terry Edwards

Post by Terry Edwards »

Two CDs by Hal Rugg:

"Finally" and "Slidin for Scale"

E9 and C6 about as good as it gets.

Terry
John Drury

Post by John Drury »

There is tons of excellent pedal steel guitar music out there, but........

Lloyd Green - Revisited, is an absolute must have for any pedal steel aficionado.

It would be nearly impossible for me to do, but if I had to pick out a favorite album representing the creme de la creme of pedal steel guitar, that might well be it.

------------------
John Drury
NTSGA #3

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by John Drury on 17 October 2006 at 06:08 PM.]</p></FONT>
Craig A Davidson

Post by Craig A Davidson »

Also there is:
Touch My Heart-Ray Price
The Other Woman-Ray Price
Both of these are The Big E, Johnny Bush has an album entitled:"Sound of A Heartache." It has a fantastic cut of Farewell Party on it.
John Drury

Post by John Drury »

If you want to hear the "Big E" at the very top of his game, get the Gene Watson album, "The Good Old Days", another CD that has a permanent home in my changer.

Fabulous E9 and C6 by the "Great One".

------------------
John Drury
NTSGA #3

Dave Van Allen

Post by Dave Van Allen »

Buddy Emmons' "Christmas Sounds of the Steel Guitar"
Paul Franklin's "Christmas Collection"

Ralph Mooney with Buck Owens- everything
Ralph Mooney with Wynn Stewart- everything

Tom Brumley with Buck Owens- everything
especially the Carnegie Hall album
Tom Brumley with Rick Nelson "Rudy The 5th"
Tom Brumley "In Time"

POCO- Pickin up the Pieces
POCO- Poco
POCO- DeLIVErin'
POCO- From the Inside

Lloyd Green - everything
in particular:
The Real Mr Heartache-the Li'l Darlin Recordings by Johnny Paycheck

unfortunately many of the suggestions so far are out of print or rare as hen's teeth.

A good resource for research though is Rebel&Ricky's site which has mp3's of classic steel guitar intro's outro's, turnarounds and solos categorized by year and artist.
Ben Jones

Post by Ben Jones »

This is so interesting. I notice theres two schools of thought.
1. Albums made by great Steel players
2. Albums made by vocal artists that happen to have great steel accompaniment.

My preference is for the second. PSG moves me most in the context of great songs with strong vocal performances. That said, I will be picking up some of the steel-centric albums mentioned above. too bad so many are out of print Image

John Drury

Post by John Drury »

Ben,

Pick up the Lloyd Green Revisited CD, a couple of nice vocals by Jr. Brown and Gillian Welch are on it.

The Good Old Days CD by Gene Watson has some excellent vocals by Gene, he is one of the best IMO, and Buddy's playing is right off the grid.

------------------
John Drury
NTSGA #3

Joe Alterio

Post by Joe Alterio »

I might suggest that you pick up a couple of the pedal steel compilation albums that are for sale in the Forum shop (e.g. "Pieces of Eight"). These will give you a sampling of all the best players, and from there you can choose those players that you wish to further pursue recordings of.

I say this because everybody has their favorite players, which are sometimes quite different from the next person. Get one of the comp albums and discover your own favorites. Image
frank rogers

Post by frank rogers »

Wow David, Thanks for the outstanding compliment! I always respect your posts and opininons, so your endorsemsnt is especially gratifying. BTW, the CD is "fully" released for sale via Harrison Music's website. http://harrison.music.tripod.com/index.htm and sample trax here: http://www.geocities.com/frsteel/ Thanks again!!
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

Jeremey Wakefield's "Steel Guitar Caviar" is one of the best newer steel guitar records I've heard and in my opinion, it compares favorably with the best ever recorded. Buy it so J.W. deoesn't have to supplement his income painting scenery for Disney! Image
http://cdbaby.com/cd/jwakefield
Ben Jones

Post by Ben Jones »

the following are out of print:
Emmons and Gatton-Redneck Jazz Explosion
Lloyd Green-Mr. Nashville
Lloyd Green-Ten shades of green
Roger Miller-Trip in the Country (the reissue Country Tunesmith is also OOP)
Johnny Paycheck-The Real Mr. Heartache (more Lloyd Green)
Charlie Pride-Live at Panther Hall

soooo frustrating. if anyone knows where I can buy these please please let me know.

Thanks for all the great suggestions, I did manage to find one or two still in print.

Lem Smith

Post by Lem Smith »

Ben, you and some of the others might be interested in checking out Rhapsody, or the new legal Napster. You can find tons of great music to listen to on them, including some of the Little Darling stuff of Paycheck. Either one runs about $9.99 per month for unlimited streaming, and also have provision for buying and burning tracks if you choose.

I'm currently listening to the 20 song album on Rhapsody by Lloyd Green entitled "Master of the steel strings" and it's GOOOOOOD!!! Image

Lem
Jeremy Threlfall

Post by Jeremy Threlfall »

two noteable absences from my perspective ....

The Great Speckled Bird Album - with Mr Buddy Cage (esp Crazy Arms and Disappearing Woman)

New Riders of Purple Sage, Panama Red Album - with Mr Buddy Cage (esp Should Have Seen Me Running - get the outro behind the vocals, sends me mental everytime!)<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Jeremy Threlfall on 19 October 2006 at 10:58 PM.]</p></FONT>
Terry Wood

Post by Terry Wood »

As mentioned earlier by others and myself one would for sure be Lloyd Green's "Ten Shades of Green." I listened to it again last night and it's Super!

Terry Wood
Sonny Priddy

Post by Sonny Priddy »

Jimmie Crawford. Ton Of Steel. LLoyd Green Lloyds Of Nashville.

------------------
Alan Rudd

Post by Alan Rudd »

I still love Ronnie Milsap Live with Dickey Overby.
James Cann

Post by James Cann »

Lest I just missed it in the posts, "Suite Steel"(if you can find it) features Buddy E, Rusty Young, Red Rhodes, Sneaky Pete Kleinow, and Jay Dee Maness.

Definitely a qualifier.
Burr Oxley

Post by Burr Oxley »

"Pacific Steel Company" and "Nashville Bar Association."
Darryl Hattenhauer

Post by Darryl Hattenhauer »

David L.

Thanks for mentioning Cindy. Really staggering.

------------------
"I take my wife everywhere, but she keeps finding her way back." --Henny Youngman
Bob Simmons

Post by Bob Simmons »

I have quite a few of these sealed vinyl that I'm going to sell if interested from when I had my music stores