Vintage Steels

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Vernon Hester

Post by Vernon Hester »

I play a 77 MSA Classic Laquer with BL 710's
and one of the 1st D-8 Rickenbackers (Alum)
Had the Rickenbacker pickups rewound and the horseshoes re-magged.Its about 56 yrs old beautiful tone.MSA is 29 yrs old and still one of the best guitars I have ever played.
Vern
Tommy White

Post by Tommy White »

1960 rosewood/maple Sho-Bud permament, 1968 Sho-Bud crossover.
Bryan,
That MSA is beautiful!
Ernie Pollock

Post by Ernie Pollock »

Recently purchased a 65 ShoBud Crossover [crossover part does not work] I got it now with 2 pedals on E9th with 2 levers on E9th, one lever raises 4th E to F#, the other lowers 2& 8 1/2 tone. I have been having a blast playing this one. I had one of the same guitars as my first guitar, it was not hooked up quite as well as this one. I have 4 pedals on C6th, 3rd is BooWah, 4th is standard pedal 5, pedal 5 is standard pedal 6, and of couse the 6th pedal is the standard 7th pedal on C6th. I also have 2 levers on it, one raises the 3rd string C to C#, and the other is the standard C6th lever. I can hook the 4th string [E9th] lower to the 2nd lever, but it makes it too stiff. So I figured if Lloyd Green & other older players could play without that lower, so could I. I am getting quite used to not having it now. Call me nuts if you will, but I love a challenge like this!!

Ernie Pollock Imagepicture are on this page, scroll down to it http://www.hereintown.net/~shobud75/stock.htm

------------------
Billy Gilbert

Post by Billy Gilbert »

A late 40s, early 50s short scale Dual Pro and a D-8 Magnatone with Stringmaster-type pickups. Image Image
Bryan Knox

Post by Bryan Knox »

Randy and Tommy, thanks for the compliments. Image
Bill Terry

Post by Bill Terry »

'73 LDG, Not rebuilt, but apparently low miles.. Also early 70's Pro II.. not rebuilt either. I like the ShoBud changer from that era a lot.
Phil Sottile

Post by Phil Sottile »

1940' Rickenbacher BD-6
Roger Edgington

Post by Roger Edgington »

I practice on and sometimes job on a 69 D 10 pp. I also have a 73 Msa clasic I bought new and is still in excellent condition. Normally I play on a 98 Zum but it has a 1946 vintage operator.
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

For all you vintage steel players. See my posting under accessories. I am now making split cases for vintage steels. By splitting the cases it takes 20 pounds off the total carry weight. The body case has wheels and a spring handle. You just wheel the body case around like luggage. Totally solves the weight issue. I make the cases so the guitar is float mounted in the case so that neither the changer or the keyhead are touching the case. The front of the guitar is also offset.
Hatton Split Cases. 716-691-6527.
Bobbe Seymour

Post by Bobbe Seymour »

Nothing made after 1967 is vintage. Yep, vintage is only to 1967.

Permanent Sho-Buds, Bigsby, Fender 1000s, ZBs etc.

No '68 ups are vintage.

Bobbe<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by BobbeSeymour on 16 August 2006 at 03:28 PM.]</p></FONT>
Jack Francis

Post by Jack Francis »

That's what I said...no I don't play a vintage steel!! Image
Rick Alexander

Post by Rick Alexander »

Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

Bryan, that MSA is B-E-U-tiful..it looks like you kept it in a vacuum sealed bag for 30 years !

what a treat to see it in that shape...

t
Ric Epperle
Location: Sheridan, Wyoming USA . Like no other place on Earth... R.I.P.

Post by Ric Epperle »

1980 MSA Vintage XL D12.. Still plays like a dream..
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

Bryan, That beautiful MSA appears to be one of the first maple/lacquer guitars, made around 1976, Before then, they had mica finishes and a different pickup well, and By '78 the MSA and Classic logos and fretboards were silkscreened.

It's a great guitar. I hope you appreciate what a gem it is.

------------------
Warning: I have a telecaster and I'm not afraid to use it.
-----------
My web site

Bob Stone

Post by Bob Stone »

Bobbe,

I'm curious. Is 1967 (or 39 years?) an offical definition of vintage acknowledged by the the people who deal in vintage instruments? If not, what is the source of this definition?

Thanks,

Bob
John Fabian

Post by John Fabian »

'64 Red Belly #5

It definitely doesn't get the use it deserves.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by John Fabian on 17 August 2006 at 06:22 AM.]</p></FONT>
Bryan Knox

Post by Bryan Knox »

Tony and Mike, thanks for the kind words. I do consider it a gem and I am humbled to have this fine instrument.

It did sit under a bed for about 20 years according to the story I was told. A man purchased it in '76 (you're right on Mike) and died soon after, with his wife casing it up and sliding it under the bed!

It was then previously owned by my friend Ted Crabtree not long before I bought it.

Thanks again guys, I'm honored.
Bill Terry

Post by Bill Terry »

<SMALL>Nothing made after 1967 is vintage. Yep, vintage is only to 1967.</SMALL>
Maybe so, but IMO any early ShoBud with rack and barrels or barrels on pullers is not what I'd call 'modern' either...

Rick Alexander

Post by Rick Alexander »

<SMALL>If not, what is the source of this definition?</SMALL>
I'd always thought it was 25 years, but I like 39 much better.
I have too many instruments I bought new that are now vintage as it is!
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

Bryan:
You should wear a sugical mask and rubber gloves when you play it. There's not even a grain of dust !
Eric West

Post by Eric West »

67 Sho~Bud Profesional Retrofitted by Duane and Jeff at Marrs.

Vintage Iron?

63 Panhead HD

EJL
John Maggard

Post by John Maggard »

early/mid '60s Domland Stereo cable-pull. I rewired the controls (looks like it had not been wired for stereo for some time), tore down, cleaned & lubricated all assemblies; relocated one of the knees, fabricated new pedal rods with spring swivels and restrung the pulls for the C6 neck; otherwise all is original AFAIK. I rarely play out with a psg so reliability is fortunately not an issue but tuning adjustments are a challenge...

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by John Maggard on 18 August 2006 at 06:00 PM.]</p></FONT>
Bobbe Seymour

Post by Bobbe Seymour »

40 years is the guitar, violin, piano, and most instrument standard. This time is what is accepted as "Vintage" by dealers, insurance companies, museums, and licenced collectors.

(However if a person has only been playing for five years, everything is vintage to him or her).

Bobbe
Bobbe Seymour

Post by Bobbe Seymour »

Eric, no but the pan head is! Ha!

Bobbe