steel players at western swing show

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Buck Grantham

steel players at western swing show

Post by Buck Grantham »

Mitzi and I had a great time at Gloria Miers "Legends of Western Swing" music festival this past week end at Wichita Falls, Tx.We had four diffrent bands every day during the festival. Ray Price's band was there with Mike Cass playing steel. Bobby Dixon was playing steel with the Bill Adams show.Tommy Hamme was playing steel with John England and the Western Swingers.Tom Morrell was playing steel with his Time Warp Top Hands.Jim Loessberg and Randy Reinhard both played some steel with Bobby Flores band.Buddy Stevens played steel with the Eddie McAlvain and THe Mavericks show.Reece Anderson was playing steel for the Dave Alexander show. Bob Kelley was playing steel with the Jody Nix show. And I was playing steel for Ted Scanlan and the Desperados show. Steel guitar is alive and well in Texas and so is Western Swing. If you ever have the opertunity to go to this show do it . You will never forget it . All of those bands did a super job. They were all well groomed and dressed well. It is a show that you can bring your kids or your Grandmother to.If you go once ,you will always go back. Even the supper meal was catered to us so we didn't have to leave the building. Long live Western Swing,Country musicand Fiddles and Steels. The show next year will be at the MPec event center,same place they had it this year and the dates are... JUNE 14,15 and 16th in 2007. See you all there. Buck & Mitzi Grantham<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Buck Grantham on 21 June 2006 at 11:13 AM.]</p></FONT>
John Daugherty

Post by John Daugherty »

Woooooooowwww, Buck, Sounds like my kind of show. I'd sure like to make that next year.

------------------
www.home.earthlink.net/~johnd37

Buck Grantham

Post by Buck Grantham »

People come from all over the country to have a great time at Gloria's show and she and her family work very hard to make it the best in the country. We even had a person from Japan there.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Buck Grantham on 21 June 2006 at 11:17 AM.]</p></FONT>
Dan E. Hoff

Post by Dan E. Hoff »

Hey Buck..That sure sounds like a fun show to go to..Bet you all really had a good time..
Hoping to get down to Terrys show [Branson] and hear you, as well as all the other fine players as well..Do hear that young 'Austin' is really coming along..It will be fun to hear him play as well..
John Coffman

Post by John Coffman »

Buck is so right. Super great show to attend. The facilities are wonderful and the music takes you back in time.

------------------
Thomas SD10 3/4 and D10 8/5 Beginner

Jody Sanders

Post by Jody Sanders »

Hi Buck, Sounds like a good time was had by all. Did you manage to keep up with your bar? Jody.
Bob Watson

Post by Bob Watson »

Buck,
That was Tommy Hannum playing with John England and the Western Swingers. Tommy lives in Nashville and has been playing with Ricky Van Shelton since the late 1980's. He's a fantastic steel player and a great guy. Tommy used to play down on Broadway with Buddy Spicher. He played a double neck 8 string Steel without pedals on that gig. They did a lot of Jazz tunes along with Swing and Western Swing. Thanks for sharing your experience with us, I wish I could have been there.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Bob Watson on 21 June 2006 at 10:29 PM.]</p></FONT>