Paul Franklin Instruction

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Larry Bell

Post by Larry Bell »

I don't kowtow. I only reviewed material that I possess (as opposed to expressing opinions on material I DON'T possess).

I didn't consider the medium that critical, compared to the potential value. I was correct in that estimation.

I'm not saying YOU shoud buy it, Jim. If you value the medium over the message, just SAY NO.

------------------
<small>Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
My CD's: 'I've Got Friends in COLD Places' - 'Pedal Steel Guitar'
2003 Fessenden S/D-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S/D-12 6x6, 1984 Sho-Bud S/D-12 7x6, 1971 Dobro, Standel and Peavey Amps
Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Post by Mark Eaton »

I thought I was done with this thread-but I guess not.

Since Paul was gracious enough to poll the steel guitar brethern as to what medium to use to release the course, I was scratching my head after going back through the original thread, as referenced by Joey-and the decision was made to go pretty much contrary to the opinions expressed in that poll.

Just struck me as being a weird deal. I figure that he got his answer from the steel players, but someone that works in the film/video industry told him it should be on VHS.

As I said in an earlier post, if a DVD version doesn't show up in the not-too-distant future, I may end up ordering it on VHS anyway.

"I don't use my VHS machine OR checkbook very often any more either, but it is a small price to pay for the result"

Larry, you're right-in the big picture-it's not that big a deal-but it just kind've defied logic.

This isn't like the Jerry Douglas dobro video, which was originally released in 1989-and a year or so ago Homespun came out with a new version on DVD, and added an interview with Jerry and sharpened up the quality with the digital conversion, along with the obvious convenience. Paul's project is only from three years ago.

I'm new to pedals, and I have enough other learning materials to keep me busy for awhile-so I'm probably not ready for instruction from Paul anyway. Maybe by the time that I am, it will be coming out on DVD.

------------------
Mark
<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Mark Eaton on 02 May 2006 at 09:29 AM.]</p></FONT>
Larry Weaver

Post by Larry Weaver »

Perhaps I can offer a bit of a different perspective to this thread.

I'm a freelance 3d animation artist and I regularly edit a lot of analog and digital video , and also produce client DVDs. Had Paul asked my opinion in this professional capacity, I would have also advised him to go with VHS. Small runs of professionally mastered DVD's can be quite expensive and require expensive authoring software AND the expertise to go along with it. Now, I know everyone is thinking--no problemo, just get out the hot rodded mac or pc and burn up a bunch. That works great, but not in ALL dvd players. There's a myriad of issues that crop up especially with first and second generation DVD players(and we're talking the ones hooked up to your TV, not in the computer). Not to mention that certain DVD players won't play certain media, or media created with certain authoring software. The list is pretty long.

On the other hand, VHS, unless the tape is physically flawed, will work in EVERY working deck that's out there. One could bang out loads of VHS copies, easily and cheaply, without fear of compatibility issues.

The day is nearing where DVD compatibility will not be an issue. It's MUCH better than even a year ago, but still an issue for anyone trying to sell anything without offering tech support.

best regards,
Larry W
Jim Sliff

Post by Jim Sliff »

Larry, the DVD vs VHS issue is one of practicality. I'm pretty sure everyone has a DVD player...but I know many (myself included) who dumped their VHS machines some time ago (actually, I have one left - but it often eats tapes and I have relegated it to the garage sale pile along with the APS and 35mm point-and-shoot cameras).

Same problem with lessons-on-cassette. The only cassette player around here is in an old clock radio - I wouldn't dare put a tape in it.

I have all sorts of short-run DVD's - it can't be THAT hard or expensive. Example - a Redd Volkaert live DVD I have is nicely done, with interview segments etc...but even he says it's not ever going to sell a ton of copies. Somehow he found a way to do it. I don't think it's quite as tough as you make it to be.
Rick Jolley

Post by Rick Jolley »

Just another factoid on DVD vs VHS. VHS tapes self-destruct in the tropics (from Florida on south) They get mildewed, and the mildew spreads from one to another via the player! After five years in Belize, I will never buy another VHS tape. DVD's may not be indestructable, but they certainly last longer than a year, and I had to throw away 100 VHS tapes (incluee Flux' tape) because they wouldn't play anymore. (I still morn that, as well as Magnificent 7, Rio Bravo, etc. etc.)

So, I don't think anyone should consciously put out a VHS tape today, regardless of the cost.

Just my 2 sense,

kevin ryan

Post by kevin ryan »

Just wanted to let you guys know, I received 3 instructional courses from the Franklins yesterday. P4, f#-g# and minor playing. Just to let you know, I also produced Jaydee's instructional courses.. Paul's stuff is so thought out and provides you with a real basis for increasing your vocabulary of your instrument. It's got the licks but also he gives you the fundementals of the changes so that you can incorporate those fundementals into your own bag of licks...
Highly recomended and of course Jaydee's courses are great too...little plug