Full-time Gospel steelers?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Albert Svenddal

Full-time Gospel steelers?

Post by Albert Svenddal »

One of the latest post ask about all the steelers for major traveling artists. How about. "How many steel players are playing regularly (weekly or more) in a Church?

------------------
Dan E. Hoff

Post by Dan E. Hoff »

Do play regularly in church..
Thouroghly enjoy the gospel music..
Used to play in the "Honkies..
They don't print enough money to get me to go back..
Darvin Willhoite

Post by Darvin Willhoite »

I play steel in a contemporary Praise & Worship band. Two services on Sunday morning, two Sunday evening services per month, and every Wednesday night. We have some great musicians and singers. I even played steel with the Choir last Sunday for a special Easter music program. I'll post some MP3's in another post, some of you may want to hear them.

------------------
Darvin Willhoite
Riva Ridge Recording

JAMES BANKS

Post by JAMES BANKS »

Albert, I practice one night per week and we do our Gospel Opry one Saturday night per week in East Texas. I used to play Sunday morn and Sunday night at church but had to go back to sound and video a couple years back.
James
Stephen Winters

Post by Stephen Winters »

I switch between lead guitar and steel in the praise and workship band at my local church. I also play steel for two different gospel singing groups in my area.
Albert Svenddal

Thanks for the replies. It is encouraging to know there are steel players in the contemporary Christian music scene. My favorite song to play on is "Trading my Sorrows. Albert

------------------
Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Post by Mark Eaton »

I play on a regular basis in my church band-but not on pedals-I'm just taking the thing up again after dabbling in pedals as a kid back in the 60's-and there is a lot of woodshedding to be done before I play that GFI in public!

We rotate the leadership responsibilities at our church, so about once a month it will be my Sunday to pick the songs in conjunction with the Pastor's sermon, do any arrangements that are needed, pick soloists etc.

We are blessed to have an exceptionally talented group for a relatively small church, which includes a number of former pro musicians and singers.

So along with vocals, I play dobro and lap steel. I'm trying to polish up the old six string skills-which are very rusty-we lost our second guitar player in the last six months to members moving out of the area.

Dobro, or lap steel and vocals-at the same time-are tough for me. If you look at the top bluegrass outfits-the dobro player does very little if any singing.

We would like to see everyone attend church-doesn't have to be ours-but when you think of attracting people to your church-a tight music team that can really play and sing makes a big difference. People have heard that the music is really good at our church-so once they come they get involved and may become regular attendees, so we take the responsibilities of of being in the band very seriously.

"Trading My Sorrows"-that's a good one. Sounds like that might lay out nice on the C6 neck.

------------------
Mark
<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Mark Eaton on 24 April 2006 at 12:44 PM.]</p></FONT>
Wade Tackett

Post by Wade Tackett »

Its good to hear from all of the gosple steel players. I play regularly three times a week and during revivals that may go on for three to four weeks or until God says enough. Our services are LOUD AND FERIOUS to say the least!! EMCI SESSION 500 / MCI VEGAS 400 and a steel king fender for a spare.
Tony Dingus

Post by Tony Dingus »

I play dobro and steel with my family group which is my wife, son, mother & father-in-law. I love it.

Tony
Thom Beeman

Post by Thom Beeman »

Every Sunday evening. Last Sunday night of every month we have a 'Singspiration' with singers from other churches. Alot of good music. I don't know about comtemporary music Al, but good old Southern Gospel Music.
<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Thom Beeman on 24 April 2006 at 10:09 PM.]</p></FONT>
Frank Estes

Post by Frank Estes »

Steel and lead on Sun Morning, Sun Night and Wed Night - Hartselle First Assembly
Kirk P Dighton

Post by Kirk P Dighton »

I have been playing at our little church every Sunday for about 2 years. I am in the process of trying to put a group together, but it is tough to get committment these days. Albert- We would love to have you come down and play for us some Sunday to get the contemporary ball rolling. You are a great asset to us all. Kirk
See you in the Quads.
Kirk P Dighton

Post by Kirk P Dighton »

...Oh BTW- My wife and I attended the Maundy-Thursday service at a little church in Coggon. It was a very powerful evening with Jesus and the 2 thieves portrayed on the cross in the sanctuary. This was the same night that the severe storms rolled in to our area. The timing was flawless. As Jesus died,,, the thunder began outside and when we left the church the skies were dark, black and green....makes you think doesn't it? The next morning I finished a song that I had been struggling with for over a year. I wrote the whole thing in less than an hour on the way to work. It is called "Please Remember Me" based upon the thief who accepted and asked for Jesus to remember him when he entered the Kingdom of Heaven. Let go. Let God. It does work.

Kirk
Kevin Mincke

Post by Kevin Mincke »

When my FT job allows, I play at least once a month at our church in Burnsville, MN. www.bereanbaptist.com
I even played accordion the week before Easter on a "Revival in Belfast" song our music worship ministry pastor sang for offetory! Albert, we also do "Tradin' My Sorrows"
Terry Sneed

Post by Terry Sneed »

<SMALL>Our services are LOUD AND FERIOUS to say the least!! </SMALL>
Wade, that's the way I like em! Image

I've been playin my steel or six string in our little country church for probly 30 years or more. Southern/Country Gospel music is the greatest music out there.

Terry

------------------
Mullen RP D10 /8x5 / Nashville 112/ American Strat Highway 1 model
pickin for Jesus

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Terry Sneed on 25 April 2006 at 01:00 PM.]</p></FONT>
Gary Preston

Post by Gary Preston »

Al we have a Country Gospel Group with a six peice band . We have some great musicians to say the least . Our lead guitar player is great and sings a good song . He can play the Albert Lee and Ricky Skaggs stuff like they do . Me i'm just a want to be Lloyd Green ,John Hughey kind of guy . God bless you . Gary .
L. A. Wunder

Post by L. A. Wunder »

I've been playing steel and dobro in the "folk choir" at my church since Sept. I might add that it's a Catholic church, and it is definately the first steel guitar or dobro ever heard in our parish loft. I got the idea to try it, after hearing you. I still enjoy both your CDs.

L.A.
Darrell Owens

Post by Darrell Owens »

I am a full time guitar picker, steel playin' preacher. I do get paid, but I'm not sure if the pay me for preaching and tolerate my pickin' or pay me for pickin' and tolerate my preachin'

I quit playing pedal steel for several years because my schedule did not leave me time to stay current on the steel and the guitar. Last year, after attending the Dallas show I bought a new Emmons and started playing again. I am working on a steel CD that will be out later this year. I am enjoying my steel more than ever.

------------------
Darrell Owens
www.darrellowens.com
Robert L. Clark

Post by Robert L. Clark »

I have been playing my Zumsteel in a Southern Gospel band we call FORTRESS for over 5 years now. There is nothing like playing for Jesus on an instrument of 10 strings!!!
Steve Todd

Post by Steve Todd »

I have been playing steel guitar for almost two years now. About a year ago the leader of our contemporary music group asked if I was interested in playing steel on Sundays. I told him that I was a beginner. He said that was OK. I could set in with the band at practice and play on Sundays when I felt comfortable. Now I play most every Sunday. The whole experience has taught me more about the steel guitar and music than I could have learnt by practicing at home alone.
Albert Svenddal

Steve, that's great. Nothing like learning from a "real" band rather than tracks. It's even more fun when your playing for the Lord. By the way, I am looking forward to playing at the "Gospel Steel Guitar Show" in Indianapolis the first weekend in May. If any of you can make it, this is the best one of all. I will be playing Friday and Saturday> Thanks for all the posts. Blessings,,,,Albert

------------------
Bill Stroud

Post by Bill Stroud »

I play for our church, choir, special singers, occasionally instrumentals, and play for a group out of Chicago when I can and record with them called Hearts Cry, they will be in Union City Tennessee on May 5th at 7 Imageo PM for a singing along with other special singers and players. Good old Country Gospel, anyone in the neighborhood stop by and enjoy the music. It will be at the First Untied Pentecostal of Union City Tennessee. It's on the corner of Edwards and Bishop Street, 1105 Edwards Street.
Hope to see some of you that can attend.
Bill
Bill Stroud

Post by Bill Stroud »

First United Pentecostal Church of Union City at 7:00 PM, Ihit the wrong key in the word above for United, sorry.
Bill
Albert Svenddal

Hey Bill, I think you may have had it correct the first time as "Untied" the way that some Pentecostal churches are. LOL.......Blessings Albert

------------------
Darvin Willhoite

Post by Darvin Willhoite »

Our Pentecostal church is certainly "untied", we worship the Lord freely. LOL

------------------
Darvin Willhoite
Riva Ridge Recording