I wish I could call Jeff Newman and thank him.

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Ron Sodos

I wish I could call Jeff Newman and thank him.

Post by Ron Sodos »

I went to Jeff's school in 1979 and his genius method of teaching improvisation on the E9th neck has carried me all the way to today. I have always owned double neck guitars and never really got a handle on the C6th. Last year after finally decided to get serious about the back neck I called Fran and bought 3 courses. C6th Workshop and C6th and Swinging parts 1 & 2. I worked hard and studied consistently. Well when I got through with the first part of C6th and Swinging I am so thrilled I want to jump up and down. I want to call him and say "Jeff, thank you so much for your genius and dedication." Well he is no longer with us and I only hope he is watching from above and hears me. Because after 25+ years on the steel the back neck is finally making sense. Thanx again Jeff!!! Image<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Ron Sodos on 24 March 2006 at 10:29 PM.]</p></FONT>
Al Carmichael

Post by Al Carmichael »

I suspect that there are thousands of players who share your sentiment. Jeff was an amazing man and teacher.

Sometimes life doesn't seem fair.
Sam White

Post by Sam White »

Ron I think Jeff knows as he is looking down on all of us and helping us still.
Sam White
Huey P. Moore

Post by Huey P. Moore »

The steel shows are not the same without him I think they ought to have a Huge picture of him on stage at all shows I would be willing to donate for that to happen......Huey

------------------
Chris Latta

Post by Chris Latta »

Even as a new comer to the steel community, I can see what a great loss it is not to have Jeff Newman with us.

I have started with Jeff's "Psg Techniques" beginners course. What a great teacher he was. Had the same demeanor as many of my favorite teachers in school. His kindness and encouragement shine through. And his sense of humour was unique and kinda twisted too! I like the comment he makes in the PSG Tech. dvd refering to pick blocking. He demonstrates the noise of picks meeting vibrating strings and says "Now, you don't want that, That's Chinese music right there," And of course, playing with the pistol at the end!

I'm currently anticipating the arrival of Jeff's A+b pedal course. Can't wait. If I ever switch to a double neck, those C6 courses sound like they'd be the ticket.

I read 2 brief accounts of Jeff's famous Steel Show apperances. One involved a chain saw and the other a fire extinguisher! Can anyone elaborate?

Jeff will be teaching us all for a long while.

Chris
Chas Friedman

Post by Chas Friedman »

Jeff has great teaching materials; I have a bunch of his courses.
When I heard of his untimely death it was a
little after the Texas show about 2 years ago.
I had bought some of his material at the show
but I didn't feel like looking at them
because it made me sad to think he was gone.
Then a little before the next year's show I was thinking about the show and Jeff, and I could almost hear him saying "Well, you wasted a year; that made a lot of sense!" So
I got them out and worked on them. It did make me sad, though...
John Bechtel

Post by John Bechtel »

Who said you couldn't? You don't even need a phone!

------------------
“Big John”
a.k.a. {Keoni Nui}
n.t.s.g.a. #90
’05 D–10 Derby
’65 Re-Issue Fender Twin–Reverb Custom™ 15”
Current Equipment
Sonny Jenkins

Post by Sonny Jenkins »

Chris, another hilarious thing Jeff did at the shows was the "light" thing,,,,he would get 3-4 name steel players on stage and put a light bulb beside each,,,then he would have the controls and when each one's light came on it would be their turn to play,,,it always started off fine,,,but then the light switch would get kinda erratic,,,,very funny,,,those top players trying to keep up with Jeffs light switching,,,
Chris Latta

Post by Chris Latta »

Seems Jeff really fit in a lot fun and a lot of living before he left us.

Would love to hear more stories.
Dave Diehl

Post by Dave Diehl »

There's not a week that goes by that I don't think of him, from the things he taught me. It's like he's still teaching me. Things he taught me are just now coming work their way into my playing.
Bowie Martin

Post by Bowie Martin »

I have so much to thank him for. The video courses really got me to have confidence, and then I was fortunate enough to spend about five trips "on the hill" with him for one on one teaching...best time and money I ever spent on the steel guitar. Other than his family, I just don't believe anyone can miss him more than I do. Just a great "void" in the steel guitar world. Fran told me how much time, effort, and thought he put into each course..he was a teaching genius AND a great player.
I am not sure there will be one to take his place.
Sonny Jenkins

Post by Sonny Jenkins »

When I used to comment to Fran about how hard something was in one of his courses she would say,,"look Sonny,,,if I can do it, I KNOW you can",,,,LOL,,,she was his guinea pig for all of his material,,,,
Buck Grantham

Post by Buck Grantham »

I think we all didn't realise just how important he was to us until he was gone. If I had dreamed he would going so soon I surely would have had a lot more to say to him. I loved him like a brother and still think about him every day.
Eric West

Post by Eric West »

It's always best to do this before you can't.

I got Kay Lee to relay my thanks to BC some years ago and got to tell Don West how much his teaching, attitude, and the use of his name on stage meant to me before he knew he had more than pneumonia.

It's easier to pick up the phone, get in the car, or yell across a fence than it is to get a Ouija Board™ to relay your accurate sentiments.

Do it.

EJL
J Hill

Post by J Hill »

I'm glad Ron started this thread. Its so good and I'm enjoying reading all the positive comments.

Tom Quinn

Post by Tom Quinn »

He took our class to the GAO and to his church -- that sums up all that is good about Jeff as far as I'm concerned...
Sam Edwards

Post by Sam Edwards »

I too have found memories of Jeffs'class of 1979. He would often stand beside me, plug in his headphones and say "impress me". Then he would give me that special look of encouragement and tell me to keep working on my right hand blocking. He truly was a great teacher and a great musician. I miss him too, he changed my life forever.
Last edited by Sam Edwards on 18 May 2015 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doug Childress

Post by Doug Childress »

I too have great memories of Jeff. While at his top gun school I was certainly intimidated by his presence while he watched my every move. Once I hung a finger pick on a string and Jeff took the picks, dropped them in my coffee cup, and gave me a new pair of his custom picks. I have most all of his teaching material and refer to it from time to time to stay grounded.