Are You a Steel Guitar Player or a Musician?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

James Cann

Are You a Steel Guitar Player or a Musician?

Post by James Cann »

Anyone on Bobby Seymour's list will recognize this as one of many interesting topics he presents, and I always wonder, Bobby, if you're looking for direct response to these good prompts, or are they rhetorical? I've been tempted several times.

Having said that, as modestly as I can say this, I am glad to say I'm both: an ear player--you know, the kind that sits down, figures out the mechanics in a few minutes, and then spooks everyone in the room though he never played one before: they all think it's great, but he knows how it really sounds.

Thinking about this the other day, I concluded that I was a bit of a "hack player," defined loosely as one who isn't afraid to let things go, knowing that somewhere during the creative ride, things might go to hell in a handbasket--hopefully momentarily, until I can relocate things and get back to the program.

Does this sound familiar to anyone, or--God forbid--am I one of the kind?
Jack Francis

Post by Jack Francis »

as I told Chuck Back, b0b and others, "I am a steel owner, not a steel player."

I have been playing at this thing for a lot of years and am tired of not getting the kind of results that I desire...like a lot of folks, I devide my time between 6 string and steel.

Lately I have been taking a more disciplined attitude towards the steel and my goal is to be much improved by this summer...(I hope!)
Dave Grafe

Post by Dave Grafe »

<SMALL>...somewhere during the creative ride, things might go to hell in a handbasket...</SMALL>
ahh, yep, I can do that....
David L. Donald

Post by David L. Donald »

I would say : MUSICIAN

I play pedal steel as one of my instruments.

But I agree about things going of the tracks,
if you are a musician long enough,
you get to learn to find the tracks quickly,
and not let it shake you too much.

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by David L. Donald on 25 February 2006 at 01:06 AM.]</p></FONT>
Ken Williams

Post by Ken Williams »

Neither, I'm a drummer. Sorry, couldn't help myself. Just kiddin' guys.

Ken
Tim Jones of Kansas

Post by Tim Jones of Kansas »

I would consider myself a 'hack player'....

When I decided to take up steel, I just jumped in without any lessons or knowledge of steel. I bought a couple cheap videos to get the bearings, but otherwise, I just wing it, use my one pedal change, and hope it turns out good.

Tim Jones
)~Fender 1000 and NOTHING else~(<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Tim Jones on 23 February 2006 at 10:11 PM.]</p></FONT>
Jody Sanders

Post by Jody Sanders »

I too own a steel guitar. Jody.
John Davis

Post by John Davis »

James your right,Bobby hit his head right on the nail again with an interesting news letter, I too was tempted to reply to it! if only to find out what pidgeon hole I fit into.....,cannot read music, my knowledge of theory is about zilch, ( or in American you would say Jack Sh@!)But I think I know most of the chords And I am one of those lucky people that if I can hear a melody in my head I can just play it, I don`t care much to rehearse as I am probably not going to play the same thing twice anyway and if I had my preference I would work with a new band every night of the week and never get stale or in a rut as I produce my best work (among the bum notes) when I am really up against it!
Can anyone else relate to that?
How I envey the people who learned correctly
and really know what they are doing,
And how some of them envey me for my brass neck and ability to BS. Image
Leslie Ehrlich

Post by Leslie Ehrlich »

I'm a guitarist, and PSG is one of the electric guitars in my small collection.
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

" I am a man of constant sorrow"..

I just happen to play Steel in a band ..which may or may not emphasize the sorrow part Image

I'm pretty certain I start each song in the Musician phase...then slowly drift into HACK land ..and then try to return to the Musician phase before the song is over..hopefully...

------------------
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="3">------------------
TPrior
TPrior Steel Guitar Homesite
</font></font>

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Tony Prior on 24 February 2006 at 03:01 AM.]</p></FONT>
David Mason

Post by David Mason »

That question is such a fruitful petri dish for musicians in one category to peer over the divider into another and sniff contemptuously at the lowly "non"-musicians. I'd say if you can't sing or whistle or croak or somehow conceive of what you want to play before you play it, you're bordering on flap-the-fingers-around-to-see-what-happens territory. Or, if your Playstation 2 scores are higher than your quarter-note BPM count, or, if you use "rap" and "music" in the same sentence, or... my petri dish is getting crowded already.... Image
Charlie McDonald

Post by Charlie McDonald »

Just another bacterium.
P Gleespen

Post by P Gleespen »

I'm a bass player, and when I'm playing bass I'm a musician.

On the other hand, when I'm playing steel, I'm a bass player. Image
John Davis

Post by John Davis »

James or Bobby jump in here and sort these guys out will ya! I can`t understand what there saying??? maybe I`m really a drummer? Image
Ray Minich

Post by Ray Minich »

Musician when it's within the realm of what music theory I already know, am learning, or think I remember ("in the box" if you will... The box gets bigger with time.)
Hacker steel guitar player when "out of the box". I can tell when I'm about to get "out of the box" 'cause I'm usually somewhere on the fretboard, digging myself into a deep hole, and about to self destruct. Once annihilated it's fun to go back to the chord chart and reconstruct the crime.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Ray Minich on 24 February 2006 at 07:19 AM.]</p></FONT>
Rick Garrett

Post by Rick Garrett »

I aspire to be a hack steel player/musician.

Rick
Jeff Colson

Post by Jeff Colson »

I’ve been a hack for a long time sometimes I think I should learn real theory and the correct way to do things, but I’ve always relied on my ear and the melody. I think my greatest attribute is when I go on that neat ride that suddenly turns south in a hurry I make everyone think that’s what I meant to do this is part of being a hack !
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

Hmmm... 1...Advanced Hack
2..Semi Pro Wannabee
3..Almost Ultimate Weekend Warrior
4... Studio Mediocratist

.. My mother used to say " you stink on ice"... One of my favorite phrases..
Now, these days I still stink, HOWEVER the stench is much less pronounced in an ice bath, so I HAVE made significant progress!!!

Actually, I am a guitarist/pedal steel player/vocalist of moderate ability.. pretty good on a regional level and respected locally,but pale in comparison to a truly advanced steeler, guitarist or vocalist... so I suppose "advanced hack" is more appropriate than steel guitar player OR musician in my case.... bob
Alan Harrison

Post by Alan Harrison »

The Lord owns both my steels, he just gave me a lifetime to use them in His Name....
"God Bless, ah

------------------
Emmons LeGrande II D-10, 8 & 5, Willy D-10, 8 & 8 two Peavey 112's, Profex II and Hilton Pedal.

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Alan Harrison on 24 February 2006 at 08:14 AM.]</p></FONT>
James Cann

Post by James Cann »

Wow! Everything from the Three Stooges to William F. Buckley!

Sort it out? Never!--unless Mr. Seymour would care to delve. It's all made me feel far too much better about myself

. . . but don't let this close the thread. Share on!
Randy Reeves

Post by Randy Reeves »

I would answer musician late to steel.

sometimes I am hot sometimes an idiot.
either way I enjoy playing music.

my life would be a pathetic thing without the ability to play a guitar.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

So, you want me to grade my own test? Okay, I guess that to a beginning player, my abilities are nothing short of amazing - maybe the best player they've seen! On the other hand, were I to be on the same stage with Buddy, Lloyd, Tommy, or Paul, I'd probably come off as "limited or seriously lacking". Image

P.O.V.I.E. or, "Point of view is eveything".
Chris LeDrew

Post by Chris LeDrew »

I don't think it's necessary to analyze yourself in such a fashion. All I know is that I pay the bills and put food on my family's table by playing pedal steel, bass, lead guitar and singing.

IMO, the more creative you are, the less likely you are to be able to put a finger on this type of personal analysis. <font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Chris LeDrew on 24 February 2006 at 10:17 AM.]</p></FONT>
Gordon Sharp

Post by Gordon Sharp »

When the song is fast its guitar time. When its a slow song its all pedals.When its halfasst who knows.
Larry Strawn

Post by Larry Strawn »

I'm still trying to climb up to the "Hack" level!! But I'm out there every week-end trying, and I can certainly relate to it going to H@#$ in a hand basket!! lol..
Larry

------------------
Emmons S/D-10, 3/5, Sessions 400 Ltd. Home Grown E/F Rack
"ROCKIN COUNTRY"