Leo Leblanc

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

John Lockney

Leo Leblanc

Post by John Lockney »

I had the first John Prine album for over 20 years and listened to it frequently but, one day it struck me that that I *LOVE* the sound of pedal steel and *HAD* to learn how to do it! I listened to that album repeatedly while saving-up to get one.

Now that I know a lot more about pedal steel I could rattle off a fifty players who are faster, etc. but, I still love Leo Leblanc’s sound with John Prine and even his recordings with Beck. A big part of it is his left-hand vibrato; to me he's one of those players that has a recognizable "voice!"

How is the "Bakersfield Rebels" album ? Would I find more Leo Leblanc on the album by Denis Payne ?
http://www.rockabillyhall.com/DennisPayne1.html

Redd V

Post by Redd V »

You'll love the Red Simpson records!
Redd
Jason Odd

Post by Jason Odd »

Redd V. is on to it, the Red Simpson albums from 1966 and 1967 (four in total) feature Leo in a big solid west coast tonkin' way.. and two of them are available as brand spankin' new CDs through the US based Sundazed label.

The Ace comp Bakersfield Rebels, that's great, but features a lot less steel than one might think. I'm a big fan.. but if Leo is what you want, go to Mr. Simpson.
Daryl Stogner

Post by Daryl Stogner »

Just for fun... go to Dennis' website at www.dennispayne.us and you can download a tribute to Bakersfield music. It's the old Y'all Come song, and has tons of Bakersfield musician's and singers. He has short version available for download or the entire 12 minute recording.

Johnny Russell, Red Simpson, Dennis, The Hagers, Bonnie Owens, Jan Howard, Jean Sheperd, it just goes on and on. Dennis has a link to it on his site with more info.

Daryl
gary pierce

Post by gary pierce »

Hey John, Its nice to hear about Leo again. I was lucky enough to have him as a teacher when I started playing in the mid 70,s. His playing is definatly unique and you can always tell if it is him on a recording. He was one of a kind.
Michael Breid

Post by Michael Breid »

Back in the early seventies I played on a demo session for songwriter Wayne Carson called, "Bugle Ann". The true story about a fox hound here in the Ozarks. Wayne took the demo to Nashville and they recut it using all Nashville musicians. When I heard the cut I said, "Man, who is that steel man. I love his tone". Wayne said it was a guy name Leo LeBlanc. That was my first introduction to Leo's playing. Since then I've never heard anything about him until I started reading the Forum. I'm glad someone knows where to find recordings of him. I'm going to find some things with Leo on them so I can hear how great he was. I'm sorry he passed on, but his steel playing has been preserved. The Steel Guitar Forum never ceases to amaze me. What a great group of people.
Michael in the Ozarks
Craig Stock

Post by Craig Stock »

If you search Stephen LeBlanc on the Forum you will find lots more on his father Leo.

As for Sundazed Records, they are a great source of music from the past. Great liner notes and original artwork. I just got Red Simpson's Roll Truck Roll Cd. Great stuff!

------------------
Regards, Craig

Stephen LeBlanc

Post by Stephen LeBlanc »

The Red Simpson stuff was probably my Dad's favorite of all the recordings he was on <font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Stephen LeBlanc on 25 February 2006 at 08:10 PM.]</p></FONT>
John Lockney

Post by John Lockney »

Thanks for the scoop. I put "Red Simpson" on my Christmas list.

I thought the Wallflowers album (also with Leo Leblanc) had some good pop music but, these days I am on a strict diet of West Coast and twang!

Craig Stock

Post by Craig Stock »

Hey Don't forget the Jerry Jeff Walker stuff, 'A Man must Carry on', along with others, very influential on my musical taste.

Was Leo on 'Up against the Wall redneck Mother"?, the liner notes don't list a steel player, though it is on the song.

Funny thing is , I was watching 'That 70's show' on TV the other night and they had them singing along with that song while driving in the car after a night at the Bar.

------------------
Regards, Craig

Stephen LeBlanc

<SMALL>Was Leo on 'Up against the Wall redneck Mother"?, the liner notes don't list a steel player, though it is on the song.</SMALL>
I don't think so, I'll have to pull that album out again to check, I think that's a live recording and Weldon is playing the Steel, can't remember for sure

Man Must Carry On is a double album, Leo is on most of the first album, Weldon is on most of the second...someone correct me if I'm wrong here but I think that's right

Leaving Texas is my favorite of the songs on that album<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Stephen LeBlanc on 25 February 2006 at 08:11 PM.]</p></FONT>
Stephen LeBlanc

the Leo LeBlanc tribute site is back up...

http://www.leoleblanc.us
Kelly Hydorn

Post by Kelly Hydorn »

As a new guy to the forum, I must say a big thank you to all of you folks who responded to my question about Leo. As for me I heard the Highway partrol album of Red's while stationed in Germany with the army and instantly got hooked on that steel sound which one of you other fellows mentioned was one of a kind. Also love steel work of Ralph mooney as well as Buddy E and Charleton and the others as well. Herby is a class guy from the get go, and another heeroo is Ron Elliott just to name a few and there are others as well. But just wanted to say thanks for all the messages on Leo, very nice to know others enjoyed his playing as well.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Kelly Hydorn on 25 February 2006 at 05:28 PM.]</p></FONT>