touring europe?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bill Patton

touring europe?

Post by Bill Patton »

I've had a coupla maybe offers to tour Europe (knock on wood, a fella can dream, etc.) and I'm wondering how easy and/or cheap it is to rent a d10 over there.
Anyone know?
Thanks.
basilh

Post by basilh »

The baggage allowance for international flights would be MORE that sufficient to allow you to take your own guitar.. That's what I do.. Baz

------------------
<SMALL>Steel players do it without fretting</SMALL>
Image Image

Per Berner

Post by Per Berner »

My guess is that, between all the EU countries, you would find maybe half a dozen sources for renting a steel, not many more.

(But if you're playing my home town, I'll be happy to lend you my Legrande for free Image...)

------------------
´75 Emmons p/p D10 8+4, '96 Emmons Legrande II D10 8+5, ca '72 AWH Custom D10 8+3, Peavey Nashville 1000

Michael Johnstone

Post by Michael Johnstone »

How could you consider playing an instrument other than your own on any gig?
I've gladly dragged mine all over the world.
Paul Brainard

Post by Paul Brainard »

Just be aware that baggage allowances are set according to the country to which you are arriving, and they will be much tighter on your return to the US. Some carriers (though not most US ones) will allow you to pay a bulk overage fee which may save you money if you're tavelling with your band.
Bill Patton

Post by Bill Patton »

I'm worried the airlines would trash it. I've got an old sho-bud Pro II with no flight case & it's 85 lbs. I looked into flight cases and they're - well, they're about the cost of a Maverick. I figured I might save money and save my steel by renting, especially when you add in the overage costs, which are a lot, too. I don't mind playing other people's steels (I'm down with OPS). I'm ok with the idea of buying a flight case and trying it, I guess, but it makes me nervous. What do most people do? Has anybody rented in Europe?
Paddy Long

Post by Paddy Long »

Bill your far better off getting a decent flight case and take your own axe -- imagine if you got to some place and couldn't find a steel to hire -- your buggered mate !!
Martin Abend

Post by Martin Abend »

At least in Germany you won't find a backline rental that has pedal steels. Maybe it would be a nice business opportunity for Wolfgang Bednarz to provide a guitar that musicians from overseas can rent...?!? Image

------------------
martin abend Pedal-Steel in Germany
s-10 sierra crown gearless 3 x4 | GiMa squareneck

CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

it is hard to find steels to rent in Europa
i did lend mine out a couple of times to help a fo'bro in need
luckily my copedent pretty much matched w: his
but if i was movin' around, i'd take mine w: me.
Heiko Aehle

Post by Heiko Aehle »

Steel Players should help each other and so there would be no need of renting places for steel equipment. If you're in Germany you can take my modest equipment.
Andy Zahnd

Post by Andy Zahnd »

so in Switzerland. If you're around here, it would be a great honor to help you out with my gear! You owe me one good lick... ;-)
Darryl Hattenhauer

Post by Darryl Hattenhauer »

Is it a problem that Europe has 220 electricity?

------------------
"Drinking up the future, and living down the past"--unknown singer in Phoenix
John Davis

Post by John Davis »

I have a 1970 Emmons P/p (Huntly/Day set up)
And a selection of old Fender amps, get in touch if I can help out..........
07860 666820
WWW.pedalsteelguitar.co.uk
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

I'll be touring Germany in May/June of '06, so I guess I'll be OK with my Tricone in its case inside of a Case X-treme Clam. Could probably fit my wardrobe in there too.

Have been thinking of buying a Calton, though. <font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Mike Neer on 08 December 2005 at 03:45 PM.]</p></FONT>
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

I've got the PERFECT SOLUTION for you! Buy THIS guitar and quit worrying! Image

Drew Howard

Post by Drew Howard »

(OUCH - "when bad things happen to good lacquer")

FWIW - I toured EU in '95 and '96 as a six-string player in a blues band. Our backline was rented, and we brought our own axes and keyboards in gig bags. Mind you, this was pre-911. So I can't comment on what it's like now.

Bob Hoffnar has toured over there, maybe he'll chime in.

good luck,
Drew

------------------
<font size=1>Drew Howard - website - Fessenden guitars, 70's Fender Twin, etc.</font>

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Drew Howard on 09 December 2005 at 07:51 AM.]</p></FONT>
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

I always bring my own steel. It gets weird enough using rental backline. Unless you really personally know the person you are dealing with and the actual steel you will be using, the amount of hassle, potential disaster and expense of trying to rent or borrow a steel for a whole tour is rediculous. Pack and box your steel up good and if you get charged at the gate at most it will cost you $200 round trip. About half the time they let you slide on the overweight charges anyway.
Whatever you do take the tour ! Europe is great. Getting to work with and hang out with the people over there is a real joy. If you get to Amsterdam or Copenhagen be careful not to sprain your neck watching the thousands of astonishingly beautiful women riding around on bikes !

Bob
Boo Bernstein

Post by Boo Bernstein »

Just one other point. I flew to a gig this past summer with my steel in a road case. They made me pay for the extra weight -- but they also told me that if it was 100 pounds or over, they would not accept it at all. I had never run into that before -- and I was very close in terms of weight. You should check with the airline about their weight limits.
Alex Piazza

Post by Alex Piazza »

I did a tour in england running direct. It was miserable. The tone that is. The guy I was touring with was to cheap to rent me an amp. I felt naked not having my sound.
John Davis

Post by John Davis »

Alex, an amp should never be a problem here in the UK, not now we have this forum!y`all have enough Forum Bro`s ready to help....A steel may be a different matter as they are all so different, but there are lots of`em here!!I am sure I could find something to suit?? in exchange for a bucketfull of new licks.......... Image
Bill Patton

Post by Bill Patton »

Thanks everyone for all your advice. There's a lot of love in the pedal steel world. I'll bring my sho-bud, if the opportunity arises. As for those of you who wanted to trade equipment for licks, I only ever had three licks, and I forgot two of them. . . can't really help you there.
Chippy Wood

Post by Chippy Wood »

Hi,
I will willingly let you borrow my Emmons D10

------------------
Ron (Chippy) Wood
Emmons D10
Emmons D12

Bob I. Williams

Post by Bob I. Williams »

I have been on 5 tours to Europe and middle East. I allways brought my own Steel or tele,The agent in Germany had amps rented for us. I found it better to rent amps, rather than bring one from the states and have to deal with 220 v. best of luck to you BOB
Richard Bass

Post by Richard Bass »

I've toured Europe many times over the years. I always brought my Tele with me and used rented amps. Most times we had fender amps to use, once in a while the amps were a challenge but for the most part no problem. I always brought along a few footpedals with EXTRA batteries so I could get the sound I was used to.
Have a good trip
Richard
Rick Schmidt

Post by Rick Schmidt »

If youre going to do any small country to country flights over there, be prepared for even more difficulties. The smaller "jump jet" airlines like Ryan Air and Easy Jet can and will charge more (and put more restrictions on weight etc. too) than the big international airlines. That's why I play bass.