I hope Buddy Charleton is gonna make a video

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

emil noothout

I hope Buddy Charleton is gonna make a video

Post by emil noothout »

Buddy Charleton is truly one of the greatest steelplayers around, and i'm not sure if his mid-sixties recording with Ernest Tubb are as well known as they deserve to be. The solos are among the most beautiful and sensitive i've ever heard. I only discovered them recently and had been looking for steelsounds on cd for more then 10 years. The point is, he's been teaching (and still is) for a long time, and has, as i understand, very specific ideas about posture, attack etc. A instruction video really would be great!
Roger Kelly

Post by Roger Kelly »

Emil...You can rest assured that most, if not ALL, Steel Players here in the USA know who Buddy Charleton is and how GREAT a player he is. As a Texas Troubador, Buddy Charleton demonstrated just how good he really is, playing flawlessly and with such good taste and tone. I can certainly agree with you about an Instructional Video or DVD by Buddy Charleton. I would like to see him make some....I'd sure buy them.
David Nugent

Post by David Nugent »

I was priveledged to take a few C6 lessons from Buddy at Billy Cooper Music and you are correct, he was most helpful with advice on posture and other fine points. On top of being a GREAT player and teacher, he was kind enough to share some tales of life on the road with Mr. Tubb and a few about Buddy Emmons as well. (That alone was almost worth the cost of the lesson.) As nice a man as you could meet.
James Lombard

Post by James Lombard »

Buddy Charleton has always been one of my personal heroes, and when steel players are discussed, I feel he is too often overlooked
in favor of others.The things he did with ET are a textbook for how the steel should be played. Tone and touch second to none. put me down for ANYTHING he decides to make available to us unlucky enough to not have been able to study with him.
Henry

Post by Henry »

David Nugent;
Buddy C. about Buddy E.(?)""That alone was almost worth"",,,
how about some story's
<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Henry on 06 November 2005 at 03:47 AM.]</p></FONT>
Charles Curtis

Post by Charles Curtis »

I'd like to see Buddy do a video; I'm interested. Seems like Buddy has done some fantastic tutoring and a lot have gone on to play professionally. Buddy I hope that you read this and really give it some serious consideration. For me, it's a real honor and pleasure knowing you.
David Nugent

Post by David Nugent »

Henry,
I would not presume to relate the stories that Buddy Charleton was kind enough to share with me for fear of misquoting him or worse, not getting the details correct....If enough players were interested in an instructional video by Buddy and were to contact Billy Cooper Music you never know what may be possible! I for one would be one of the first in line to purchase one. (By the way, Buddy and Billy recently did a CD together and it is terrific.)
Dave Diehl

Post by Dave Diehl »

I will share one thing about Buddy C and Buddy E. .... Buddy C idolizes Buddy E.
Bill Fulbright

Post by Bill Fulbright »

I sure hope he does... I was fortunate enough to have a couple or three lessons with him when I was living in Delaware...down at his brother's garage in MD.

He is such a terrific guy, player and teacher. I can still hear him saying "keep your elbow in........"!!!

With his help, I found the 'tone' that literally slices through you ... what a huge shift for me...

Thanks, Buddy!!! Hope to start playing again soon..
Johnny Prevento

Post by Johnny Prevento »

I was at Billy Cooper this past July and had the honor of meeting Buddy C he was giving lessons and took a moment to say hello. You guys are right you couldn't meeet a more upright person and one heck of a steel player.I recall listening to the Ory in the 60's on an old Philco radio with 6L6's my favorite part of the Opry was when Ernest was on. He always had a top notch band.I remember the night Ernest introuced Loretta Lynn. What memories. Does anyone know if Buddy is a member of the forum? It would be great to chat once in a while.Johnny
Ray Minich

Post by Ray Minich »

"Waltz Across Texas" is regularly heard comin' from my stereo speakers... Each time I hear the steel break it's like "the first time".
David Berry

Post by David Berry »

I would like to add a few words as well. He is everything you say he is. I have been a student of his for nearly two years now. It is like having a personal trainer on pedal steel. He has taught me so much about playing, style, technique, and tone. If I may brag, go out to Billy Cooper's Music at:

http://www.billycoopersmusic.com/

and click on the "Pedal steel lessons" link.
That is me sitting across from Buddy in the picture! It is a wonderful experience being taught by one of the pedal steel guitar legends. I have another lesson this weekend and I can't wait. I've been working on "Waltz Across Texas" since my last lesson which I will be performing for him. Talk about nerve racking (grin)! He's a very patient teacher. By the way, he does have some instructional materials on Billy's site. Actually, there are lots of great instructional materials on the site to check out.

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by David Berry on 09 November 2005 at 12:58 PM.]</p></FONT><font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by David Berry on 09 November 2005 at 12:59 PM.]</p></FONT>
Terry Wood

Post by Terry Wood »

Well, I have been a Buddy Charleton fan for almost 30 years. I would love to have steel guitar video by him. Maybe if enough of us were interested and asked he might produce one.

For those who haven't heard him or familiar, check out his L.P. titled "Almost To Tulsa," with Leon Rhodes. They had some of the slickest steel and guitar arrangements I ever heard.

Lastly, I worked out his song "Almost To Tulsa," once and recorded my humble interpretation of it. It was the most challenging thing I ever attempted on steel guitar.

If Buddy Emmons is the Big E, then Buddy Charleton is The Big C. I love them both as ya'll!

Woody
Charles Curtis

Post by Charles Curtis »

I think that you may be able to purchase the tab for "Almost to Tulsa" at Billy's. I would love to have an instructional video by Buddy, however I don't think one size can fit all in that different musicians may need different instructions from Buddy in that we all may have different individual faults that may need correcting. I would highly value any general instruction video that Buddy would do and I would be eternally grateful; I think that he is a legend.
David Nugent

Post by David Nugent »

I spoke with Wanda Cooper today at the shop, all players asking for a Buddy Charleton video may want to stay tuned.
Bill Fulbright

Post by Bill Fulbright »

Buddy has that smooth as silk playing technique that just looks so effortless.

Yeah! Right!!!!

He is relaxed and knows right where he is going, and dragging boatloads of tone when he goes.

------------------
Bill Fulbright
Gitane DG500M; Ibanez Artcore AF85VLS, Yamaha SY-77; My Music Site - <A HREF="http://hotguitar.org

" TARGET=_blank>http://hotguitar.org</a>

</A>
Dave Diehl

Post by Dave Diehl »

You're so right Bill but, you can't get the full extent of it unless you sit across from him and watch him in an informal setting.... just turn loose! That's when you really get impressed!
Charles Curtis

Post by Charles Curtis »

I agree, years ago I had the opportunity to sit in front of Jay Dee Maness, a few times. I don't think that there is any substitute for individual instruction and the "motivation" that this can evoke, watching and listening to a musician of this calibre. Thanks again, Jay Dee, and may God bless you and your family.