Name on Steel.. Cool or Corn??

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bob Carlucci

Name on Steel.. Cool or Corn??

Post by Bob Carlucci »

Years ago, a great many steel guitarists had thier name imblazoned over the front of thier steels.. I don't see this much these days.. Why is that do ya think??.. Corny?? ..

I may be wrong, but I think maybe guys change steels like underwear these days and it may be tough to sell them.. I dunno maybe not.. Anybody still doing this?..

I used to years ago, but decided one day that it made me look vain and foolish and took it off.. anyone care to comment on this once VERY common practice among steel players?? bob
Larry Weaver

Post by Larry Weaver »

I'm thinking that unless your initials are BE, or perhaps your name is Paul and your Dad makes killer guitars, it seems to be a practice that's gone by way of the buffalo. I do think that counts for players than steel as well too. You just don't seem to see that sort of stuff much anymore.

Ok Bob, gotta ask you this bro......did you perhaps used to play in north Jersey\tri state area in the early 80's, and perhaps go by the name 'Bronco Bob'? I was playing in a couple of country/southern rock bands back then in that neck of the woods, and I think we may have met on more than a couple of occasions.

regards from forum noob,
-Larry W
Jim Bob Sedgwick

Post by Jim Bob Sedgwick »

Maybe they are hiding from the IRS? Image
No sense in making it easy for them, right?
Dave Van Allen

Post by Dave Van Allen »

This guy gets my vote, for "cool"!!!

Just 'cause it's old school, don't mean it ain't cool Image

chas smith

Post by chas smith »

I have my name on the 2 Sho-Buds that get the most use. Bigsby guitars had their owner's names on them, so it seems to me, to be tradition. Of course, I have no intention of selling them, either. Then, there's this other guitar.
Image <font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by chas smith on 08 July 2005 at 09:10 PM.]</p></FONT>
George Redmon

Post by George Redmon »

Hey Bob Carlucci....vain? you? now corny..yes? but you don't need your name on your steel to show us that...hehehe But geeze my feelings are really hurt now Bob...i thought you were suppose to put your name on your guitar..how can you tell it's yours? i was going to have "Bubba" put on the front of mine..but everytime i suggested it..why everyone would roll their eyes..geeze i thought it was like those big Harleys...you know..your name goes on the gas tank......
and i like red to........

------------------
Whitney Single 12 8FL & 5 KN,keyless, dual changers Extended C6th, Webb Amp, Line6 PodXT, Goodrich Curly Chalker Volume Pedal, Match Bro, BJS Bar..I was keyless....when keyless wasn't cool....

Al Carmichael

Post by Al Carmichael »

George--I think you have the right idea--put your name in a small spot. Remember when all the country singers used to have their names inlaid on the neck of their guitars? It always struck me as corny.

It would certainly make my steel harder to sell. Can you imagine the ad? "For sale: Beautiful birdseye maple Sho-Bud. Excellent condition. The name AL CARMICHAEL is branded into the front of the neck, but its easily disguised with a big piece of duct tape."
richard burton

Post by richard burton »

I have had my name tattooed on my forehead for many years.
This enables the audience to know who I am, regardless of whatever instrument I am playing at the time.
I do get some odd looks down at the supermarket, though Image
Jim Sliff

Post by Jim Sliff »

I put "Keith Richards" on one of my Teles, but I kept getting hounded by people who wanted to give me free fishhooks.
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

I have my name inlayed in my '68 Tele, which also has a homemade (but extremely well functioning) B string bender that my father made for me. (Dad passed away 2 years ago.)

I had my name inlayed in it with the idea that if it was ever stolen, I'd get it back, and sure enough that's exactly what happened. the guitar was stolen in 1980, in Long Beach CA which is about 30 miles south east of me, and a few months later it surfaced in the city of Simi Valley which is about 40-45 miles north west.

Needless to say, I was quite happy to get it back, and was very glad that I had the forsight to have my name inlayed in it.

I don't care that inlaying my name might have destroyed it's resale value. I will never sell this guitar under any circumstances anyway.

------------------
"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." -Albert Einstein

David Mason

Post by David Mason »

<SMALL>I have had my name tattooed on my forehead for many years. This enables the audience to know who I am, regardless of whatever instrument I am playing at the time.</SMALL>
If you have it tattooed backwards, you can read it more easily in the bathroom mirror every morning. Helps you spot the dyslexics too, before they can do you any harm.
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

Larry W... That would be me.. yikes.. Bronco Bob. Man, talk about corn!!.... bob
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I had my name on my steel for a short while. I took it off as it seemed "tacky" to me.
Tony Farr

Post by Tony Farr »

Back in the mid 50's, I had a Gibson MiltiHarp-triple neck, and had them put my name on it. I had been wondering what ever had happened to it. Well, I got a call from a gentleman down in Miss. and he had just bought it. Someone had tried to refinish it but back them the paint had oil in it and it had soakes into the wood and could not be removed. He sent me pictures of it, but didn't look like it did when I had it. I should have had it put on my Fender 1000 and maybe it wouldn't have been stolen at Panther Hall when I was with Jones.
Danny Naccarato

Post by Danny Naccarato »

Here's what I did recently to the Emmons S-12 PP I had Mike Cass restore a few years ago. It was my Dad's......

Danny

------------------
Janie Fricke

Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

I really kind of like what George R and Danny N have done on their beautiful guitars.. Tastefully located , nicely done.. Classy.. not tacky!!
Charlie McDonald

Post by Charlie McDonald »

Dave, I think in the case of Loessberg,
'Les is more.'

However, in this picture, it works like the tattoo of an old girlfriend's name, on what appears to be an otherwise nice ShoBud.
One would hope it would knock dollars off the price....
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

In the case of BE and PF, their names are already on their guitars. I remember the first time I saw Jimmy Day with his name emblazoned in huge white script across the front of that blue Sho-Bud. I sure thought it was cool then .... but that was then.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

I don't know about putting my name on my guitar but I do wear a name tab, upside down at that. This way I know who I am on days when I'm suffering from "old timers". Image
Erv<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Erv Niehaus on 09 July 2005 at 07:07 AM.]</p></FONT>
John De Maille

Post by John De Maille »

I've never put my name on any instruments I've owned. I choose my guitars, not only for the way they play, but,for the way they look. I never wanted to change the beauty of the guitar. Never thought about tacky or cool, just about pristine beauty.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Yeah, I guess it is a little tacky or corny. It does, however, accomplish one thing, it makes sure you know who the player is! Can't tell you how many shows I've been to where the "big star" didn't even mention the names of those in the band. It's a good aid on old photos, too..."I can't tell if that's Pete Drake or Jim Murphy?" Image

Never had that problem with ET, though. He always gave the band credit on stage, and on his recordings.
Frank Parish

Post by Frank Parish »

No names on any of my guitars but I have put a little red rose on a couple on the right side of the front apron. You can easily pull it off with no damage to the finish and on the Carter I play now there is an American flag about the size of a postage stamp there. Now if you really wanted to score some points with your latest darling you might go to Kinkos and get a decal made with his or her name on it and put that on the front or even your own name if you want. As long as it's temporary, no harm done. Now putting some fuzzy dice on would be very tacky!

You can hide something on your guitar where nobody would know where to look with something only you would know about to help get it back if it was stolen. 6b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Frank Parish on 09 July 2005 at 08:28 AM.]</p></FONT><font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Frank Parish on 09 July 2005 at 08:33 AM.]</p></FONT>
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Mine was vinyl lettering so it was easy to take off. Maybe if it wasn't white lettering on the "genuine rosewood mica" it may not have stuck out so mouch.
John Daugherty

Post by John Daugherty »

I think having your name on the instrument depends on how well you play. I have considered putting my name on a lighted sign on the front of my guitar, then adding a switch which automatically shuts it off immediately following the first goof-up.
In my case it would probably turn off ten seconds after the first intro.
If you are thinking of adding one of these signs to your guitar, you may as well add an applause sign that lights after you take a ride in the song.
Jack Therrell

Post by Jack Therrell »

Thinking of having my name changed to Remington Steelmaster, that way the plague on my steel would be appropriate. On second thought maybe I should let well-enough alone. At least people who know steel will know i have sense enough to get a good axe but playing it well is another story.