To forumites that have served..

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Gary Carriger

Post by Gary Carriger »

Three year in US Army from 1965 thru 1968 - including one year trip to Vietnam. Experience changed me from a naive farm boy to who I am today.
Gary
Harold Williamson

Post by Harold Williamson »

Retire Navy CPO Jan 1959 til Dec. 1977. Wish the best for all our military, those that have served, and those now serving. It takes the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, and Coast Guard to keep this great country that we live in free. My hats off to them all.
Russ Tkac

Post by Russ Tkac »

Just a thank you to my little brother Tom who is a Captain in the United States Navy. He graduated from the Navel Academy in 1982, was the first wave of planes in during Desert Storm (EA6B Prowler), is currently at the Pentagon and will take command of the airbase at Whidbey Island, Wash. in September. He has served well and made me proud to be his brother. He has two children in college and five boys between the ages of two and ten Image Like I said, he’s made me proud to be his brother!!!!!

Russ
ray qualls

Post by ray qualls »

My grandfather was in WW1
My father was in the Navy Seabees in Okinawa in WW2
My two brothers served in Germany in the Army
I served in Korea in the Army 1960-1963
My three(3) sons served in the Army. My middle son has just earned a Purple Heart by being wounded in Iraq.
Two nephews served: one in the Marines and one in the Army.
Am I Patriotic? You betcha, but no one can put it better than what Steve said. God bless the families of the ones who didn't come home for they are our Hero's.
Frank McBride

Post by Frank McBride »

4 year's with the 101st Airborne Inf. 2 years in Vietnam 68 69. 9 years with GREEN BERETS SF.
Ed Altrichter

Post by Ed Altrichter »

(USAF, 1961-1965.) My cousin, my hero, URBAN HOHEISEL was killed in action while serving with the United States Army in Europe, 1944.
David Coplin

Post by David Coplin »

My thanks go out to all of our service men and women now serving or who have served in the past.Thank you does not seem enough for those who gave the ultimate sacrifice. my prayers go out to them and their families.
A big special thank you for all the forumites who have served.

1955 - 1963 USAF
David Coplin
Ken Lang

Post by Ken Lang »

Please remember that today is not about those of us that serve or have served. For that we have Vetrans Day.

Memorial Day is about those who gave all; who gave their lives, for us. We will forever honor those fallen.

Ken.
US Army.
thurlon hopper

Post by thurlon hopper »

U.S. Air Force '63-'67 Okinawa last 18 mos. in direct support of the troops serving in Viet Nam. Air Police E-4, how sad to have to guard the aircraft bringing the bodies of fallen heroes back to the States. My
admiration and respect for all who served in combat situations. Younger brother was
wounded in the 1968 Tet Offensive. TJH
Monroe Jeffcoat

Post by Monroe Jeffcoat »

U.S.M.C. 1947 to 1957 served in Korean conflict. I am proud of my country and proud of every minute I served in the MARINES.
Monroe Jeffcoat
!958 Marlin S-10 Session 500 amp
Goorrich volume pedal...

P.S. Would be proud to do it all over again....
Ernie Pollock

Post by Ernie Pollock »

US Air Force 62 - 68

Ernie Pollock Image

------------------
Roy McKinney

Post by Roy McKinney »

USN Gunners Mate 1951-1953 Korea
USAF Wire & Radio Communications 1954- 1957
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

To Ken Lang.. It is OBVIOUS we have Veterans Day for ALL vets.. It is also OBVIOUS we salute the fallen on Memorial Day..
HOWEVER Ken, You will notice this thread is directed at FORUMITES that have served. If it were dedicted to forumites who had fallen there would be no one to respond. I was thanking FORUMITES on thier service, because they are still here with us thankfully.
You distorted the reason for this thread.

These are our peers.. We CAN still thank them,here and now. My humble thanks to all vets here ON THIS FORUM in NO way diminishes the ultimate sacrifice thier fallen comrades have made.

Get it?..
Perhaps I could have WAITED until Veterans Day, that may have been more appropriate,but the whim struck me now, to thank our forum brothers that have defended this country.
They would be the first to say they were the lucky ones, the ones who were able to return home to loving families and friends, unlike the fallen heros that gave all for thier country.
The fate of the fallen is determined already, We honor thier memory and thier service and sacrifice. I consider the places they rest as sacred ground.
This was a thank you to the FRIENDS STILL AMONG US. It IN NO WAY was a slight on their fallen brothers.. maybe I'm wrong, but now I feel the spirit of this thread has been altered,and probably should be shut down. bob<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Bob Carlucci on 31 May 2005 at 05:37 AM.]</p></FONT>
Barney Y. Miller

Post by Barney Y. Miller »

It is very difficult to remember all the names of those Heros that served with me in Korea but I will never forget thier faces especially the one who gave all. Any consideration to them is not enough. The price of freedom os high and they paid the full price.

Barney Miller
Richard Cooper

Post by Richard Cooper »

U S ARMY, BIG RED ONE 1st Infantry
First night in Vietnam,
First night of Tet offensive
Saigon 68
un-forgetable
Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

Proud to have served.

------------------
Smiley 22-9 Crank&pull&push pro model Deluxe with auto string changer.500ft. roll.

Theresa Galbraith

Post by Theresa Galbraith »

A Huge Thank You! Image
Mike Martz

Post by Mike Martz »

U S Army - Big Red One, 1st Infantry Division
Helicopter Mechanic
Jan 66 - June 67
Phu Loi, Viet Nam
I also Thank, and Salute my brothers who served with me. It truely was an Honor.
Sam Lewis

Post by Sam Lewis »

USAF 22 years - Retired in '71 With the 1st Bomb Sq during the Korean mess, in SEA 1967-1968, with the Titan II missle sytem 1968-1989, even survived some time with "phred" Shannon whom I consider a very good friend.

Sam

------------------
Fred Shannon

Post by Fred Shannon »

I seldom reply to these type threads because of the bad memories they bring to mind. However, because my friend Sam Lewis mentioned our mutual respect for each other I will renege on my promise to myself. Many heros exist in my memories but none occupy more space than those I was associated with in the USAF for 23 years. Some lost in combat, others lost in mandatory training missions in order to keep this country free. I retired from the USAF in 1973 after 23 years service. I worked with the 18th Fighter Bomber Group in Korea during that "non-war", and a couple of tours in Vietnam (also a "non-war") with 20th and 21st TASS, along with a tour with the Air Force Advisory Teams. I also spent many hours working with the Big Red One, and 25th Infantry Wolfhounds in a hell hole called Duc Hoa during the Tet Offensive of 1968. And a special tour with the US Marines at a little crappy place called Khe Sanh. A$$ Kickers All.

The idea that one has to die for their country to be heros is absurd. I have seen lots of heros who managed to survive and to negate recognition for their efforts leaves me ice cold. All I can say to folks that "tried their best" is WELCOME HOME. There are people who do appreciate your efforts. To those that made the ultimate sacrifice, I salute you, and everytime "Taps" is played, I thank you with tears in my eyes.

------------------
"From Truth, Justice is Born"--Quanah Parker-1904

Bill Cook

Post by Bill Cook »

11 years active duty US Army 1975-1986
1st Armorded Division Germany
US Army Infantry Center, Ft. Benning ,Ga
Berlin Brigade, Berlin Germany
17 years US Army Reserve
Numerous units in Alabama and Northern Virginia, (Pentagon).
I salute you All!!!!
Charley Adair

Post by Charley Adair »

Active duty USN 07-'68 to 06-'70. Wouldn't take a million for my experiences, but wouldn't give a nickle to do it again. But I would if I needed to. I also salute all military men & women past & present. My heart swells when I hear TAPS, my pride swells when I hear our National Anthem. God Bless our USA!!!!!!!!!!
James Cann

Post by James Cann »

US Army,'67-'69. Arrived at 8th Army, Korea, two weeks before NK grabbed the Pueblo. As in Viet Nam, 1968 was Korea's hottest year in modern history.

Every good wish and regards to all who have, do, and will serve.
Willis Vanderberg

Post by Willis Vanderberg »

U.S.Navy 51 to 54 . My hero is my father in law Donald H.Putnam. He enlisted in the army air corps when he was 33 years old and had 4 children.He ended up flying c-46's over the hump in Burma. He was the best all around pilot I ever flew with. God bless all the military active and retired.

Bud
Plane captain on a PBY-5A.
Ken Lang

Post by Ken Lang »

Sorry Bob C. Didn't mean to get you all upset.