Are you happy with your steel playing??

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Billy Carr
Restricted

Post by Billy Carr »

Started playing steel in 71' at age 14. Years ago I would get tired of playing the same old licks, etc. Then I got an idea one night while I was going through old records. I noticed that each steel player on some of my albums played the same songs. Each player put his own touch or style on the songs. So I decided to try something I had never done before. I would take a song let's say that I had three different players playing. I started learning each ones approach to the way they played the songs. Then I would take some of the licks I had picked up from the songs and add my touch to it and come up with something different. Even today I try to find two or three different ways to play the same song. I get bored playing everything the same old way so I look for new ideas all the time. I know anything a person wants to learn on steel guitar can be done. My motto is NEVER QUIT. Tomorrow always brings another day and that means another day to learn a lick or two.
Drew Howard

Post by Drew Howard »

Only until I here someone else play, which is every day.

Drew

------------------
<font size=1>Drew Howard - website - Fessenden D-10 8/8, Fessenden SD-12 5/5 (Ext E9), Magnatone S-8, N400's, BOSS RV-3</font>

Jonathan Gregg

Post by Jonathan Gregg »

It goes from exhilaration to depression and back again. In my living room I am king, onstage that night a fool...

Nothing wrong with comparing yourself to the best, though, even if you always come up short. Aim high, or forget it. As Larry Coryell once said, you gotta want to be the best on your block.

That doesn't mean you should act like you think you already are, but a certain amount of irrational exuberance can put some wind in your sails. The other side of that coin is you have to be willing to put the hours in.

You're either there to play or you're not, and I get the feeling you're in the former camp. Guys who don't have a clue have fewer anxieties.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Jonathan Gregg on 30 May 2005 at 02:53 PM.]</p></FONT>