Are you happy with your steel playing??

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bob Carlucci

Are you happy with your steel playing??

Post by Bob Carlucci »

I'm not... I can fool the average Joe, non steel playing musicians,even some lower and mid level steel guitarists into thinking that I'm quite good, but I know the truth.
Yeah so I can cop a few licks from some of the greats, even cop some of thier solos..big deal. I know that the stuff I hear these guys play on country,pop,rock recordings is only the tip of thier respective icebergs as far as thier ability level.. However, it is the entire scope of my ability.. Just enough to make people think thatI know what I am doing.

Just a few weeks a go I was playing two of my steels in a guitar shop where I had set them up on consignment[ they are both sold].. One of the employees said,"man you belong in Nashville"... I thought to myself, "doing what, selling shoes"?? ...

I was just playing through some Brumley/Cage/Young /licks I'd stolen over the years,but the employee thought I was great... Of course it was just some basic E9 licks..
When I hear some of the beautiful music on Steelradio I think to myself, "why even bother"?.. I have been playing longer than some of those players, but could NEVER approach that talent level.

Am I wrong here?.. Am I the only one that gets in these funky moods? I just feel at times like a shyster. Making uninformed people think I have some special musical ability because I can play some whiny chords and a few "chicken pickin" notes on a Rube Goldberg contraption. I don't always feel like this, but a few nights ago my 16 year old son came in when I was noodling on my Carter and told me," You always play the exact same things".. and you know,he was right. Right now I feel like a fraud! I wonder if anyone else gets these feelings... I actually feel guilty because people think I have more talent than I KNOW I have... Is there something wrong with me?.. Am I the only one that sees his ability as less than it should be?..

Anyone else angry at himself for his lack of progress?? Envious of the fine steel playing you hear all the time knowing you could NEVER play that well??...
I'm not being negative here really,, just reflective..... anybody care to share thier own internal conflicts concerning thier playing ability or lack thereof?? bob
Ray Minich

Post by Ray Minich »

I played a gig at the local nursing pavilion with a few musicians a week ago. After 2 hours I was boring the he!! out of myself (and I noticed it). Nope, not happy, gotta practise some new stuff.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Ray Minich on 23 May 2005 at 06:06 AM.]</p></FONT>
Dave Ristrim

Post by Dave Ristrim »

Sometimes, sometimes not. There is always room for improvement. A musician that is content and happy with present playing is dead in the water. I'm not saying you need to be miserable, but don't ever be complacent.
Dave
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Good post, Bob, and I bet a lot of us feel like this from time to time, but it always passes.

I've spent plenty of time as the 'big fish in the little pool', and I've fielded a few compliments myself; I usually reply by saying, 'You should hear a guy named Doug Jernigan!'

I guess it's only the truly exceptional who will make progress every day. Your feelings of inadequacy only go to prove that you're aware of some shortcomings and will, ultimately, get on to the next level.

RR

PS: ....and there's not a player out there who hasn't stolen something from someone - not even the very best!
Charlie McDonald

Post by Charlie McDonald »

Bob,
Now, I've heard you play several songs posted here. I just don't think you can get by with such a view of your playing. Do you want to be Buddy Emmons? Do I want to be Debussy?

A quote from you: "Making uninformed people think I have some special musical ability because I can play some whiny chords and a few "chicken pickin" notes on a Rube Goldberg contraption."

How many people can do that?

Sure, I've felt like a fraud, faking my way through tunes. But at least I can do it.
We should relax with the level of ability--and yours is greater than you think.
So don't think, just play.
Highest regards for your artistry,
Charlie
Willie Crisel

Post by Willie Crisel »

As most of you know i'm a less than 3 year beginner living in the nashville area,i play a gig on sat night,,and it's video taped every time,everytime i watch it,i beat myself up for 2 days,,my buddy came out and played through my rig,,and man he sounded great,,,so yea it's in the hands,the volume pedal,the bar,,the mind and ect..i want to be fast ,smoothe,great tone,tastefull,,and i want it right now,,,,on the pluse side of living here,,i can go to one of my friends who are great players,and and ask them to watch my playing,and offer tips,,,,,,you should hear me play sometime,,bet you'd feel a whole lot better about your playing,,,,
Ken Thompson

Post by Ken Thompson »

I know how you feel Bob. It seems like I take the stair step approach. I will reach a level and stay there for awhile and then all of a sudden I will reach another level and stay there for awhile an so on.

I had been on a plateau for awhile and felt the way you did. Then two weeks ago, while playing a weekend gig, I just went after it. I was feeling relaxed and started experimenting and trying stuff I normally wouldn't try. I would hit a lick and vibrato and the other guys looked at me with shock in their eyes and smiled. We play everything from Poison to Jones and I find a part in every song we do, so getting a hot sound on a rock song can be very rewarding. It is nothing like playing "Together Again" but just to know that you can hold your own with the kids feels good. I had a blast and I can't wait to play this weekend in a hot night club that starts out with my age group and ends with the young folks.

I'll never be able to play like Bobbe, LG, BE and many of the others. But by George, I play steel in a pretty hot little country band and I am a STEEL GUITAR PLAYER and damned proud of it!

I'm sure you are to Bob.
Kevin Macneil Brown

Post by Kevin Macneil Brown »

Ups and downs in self-esteem regarding my playing seem to be the rule for me. I seem to walk a line between striving to get better--practice, study-- and doing the best I can, with the tools I've got, to be expressive, musical, soulful; to communicate with an audience, tell a story on my instrument.
I know I'll never be as fine a player as many, many others are, let alone the greats. But I'm just passionate and egotistical enough to believe I've got something to say and my own way to say it. I guess love for--and surrender to-- this amazing thing called steel guitar helps keep me on the path!
JW Day

Post by JW Day »

BOB; I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL. I'VE OFTEN HAD THE SAME THOUGHTS, AND YOUR RIGHT, WE'LL NEVER SOUND LIKE E OR DOUG OR CHALKER. HOWEVER THIS WAS THEIR CHOOSEN PROFESSION, FROM WHICH I'M SURE GLAD OF,IF YOU ARE LIKE MOST OF THE REST OF US, YOU PROBALY HAD TO WORK A STEADY JOB TO SUPPORT THE HOME.I WORKED 30 YEARS OF SWING AND STILL MANAGED TO LEARN A FEW LICKS.I'VE LEARNED TO ENJOY THE MUSIC FOR MY OWN SATISFACTION. AND IF SOME ONE ELSE ALONG THE WAY ENJOYS IT,THATS WONDERFUL.

------------------
Jeff Lampert

Post by Jeff Lampert »

Bob, the issue is not whether you are happy with your playing. The fact is that most everyone, including the greatest musicians of any instrument who ever lived, were not happy with their playing for at least a good part of their playing lives. The issue is with how a player reacts to that. The best musicians generally react to feeling bad about their playing by developing new ideas, concepts, and technique. This then escalates their playing. They will feel better for a little while, and then will feel bad again, because either they see someone do stuff they can't, they feel their stuff is stale, or whatever. Then they develop something else, and the cycle continues. This, in addition to natural talent, is how greatness is born, IMHO.

------------------
Jeff's Jazz
Johan Jansen

Post by Johan Jansen »

As soon as you are happy, it's time to learn b@nj& Image

------------------
Image Click on the pic!

David L. Donald

Post by David L. Donald »

The moment you stop learning... you are DEAD
So don't stop.
be it on your instrument
or in your brain in general.

If you decide; well I don't like it,
learn something,
do something NEW , that you haven't tried.
Dig in and practice a problem area
till it makes you NUTS, but IT gets better

The moment you are not regularly unhappy with what you do,
is the moment you stop progressing
and put that one foot in the grave...
not caring wihen the other slides in after it.

Which of course means :
do something about it.
progress,
move your butt.
<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by David L. Donald on 23 May 2005 at 08:35 AM.]</p></FONT>
Wayne Franco

Post by Wayne Franco »

I think Jeff is right on about the process. Sometimes while learning you don't realize that you've gotten better. The thing I really don't care for is when you become familiar with the different misicians in your area and you know they are doing the same stuff they did for years, nothing else. Bands I've been in tend to do that. Once you have a nights worth of music practice time is done. Auto pilot begins. When you are constantly learning you're not always right on because (it is!) new to you. But I would rather be that person than one stuck in the same ol rut!!!!!!!.
Marty Pollard

Post by Marty Pollard »

Yes, I'm happy w/my steel playing! Image

"...Brumley/Cage/Young /licks I'd stolen over the years"

In the case of at least one of these players I'd have to ask if it's truly stealing to take something of no value. Image
David Mason

Post by David Mason »

I think your contentment level is more a matter of your natural constitution, and what you tell yourself, than how well you can play. When I only knew one chord, I could write the best one-chord rock and roll songs in the world. Then I learned another chord and I was twice as good. After a few years, I noticed that I was slowing down in comparison to other people's progress. However, I still take a lot of pleasure in the tactile sensations of fingers on strings and MY noises coming out of the speakers. I read an interview with John McLaughlin several years ago (post-Mahavisnu, post-Shakti) where he said it was annoying when he couldn't play at least 6 or 7 hours a day, because he had so much stuff he wanted to work on! Occasionally I read one of those "Goodby, cruel world" posts where someone says how sick they are of the music business and they're going to sell everything and evolve to... what? Parcheesi? "Gilligan's Island" reruns? I hope they make wheelchairs without arms, cause I'll still be mowing 'em down at the old folks home.
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

Marty.. I'm glad you are happy with your playing.. You should be.. I listened to some clips at your site and you are indeed a fine player!
I think I know the player whose licks are of "no value" in your opinion.

There are many many FINE players on this forum that would disagree!.. in any case I guess I'm in big trouble,because a steel playing friend of mine told me last year I played just like him!!... uh oh, time to switch to tuba or something!! bob
Al Carmichael

Post by Al Carmichael »

Bob--I don't think you should beat yourself up so much. The clips of your playing that I've heard were excellent. All we can ask of ourselves is to do the best we can on any given day. We are only as good as we are right now. Practice will gradually make us better, but comparing ourselves to others is asking to be frustrated. If you look at how far you have come, that should make you somewhat content, even if your goal is to cut heads with BE.

Its always good to be inspired by others and to strive to be better. That keeps us growing and living. The other side of the coin is: did you play the gig? Make some music? Pass along some joy to the world? Then you ARE a steel player and you've done your job. Ask no more of yourself than to do the best you can every day with what you've got, give yourself some credit for doing so and just continue to practice. Music is as infinite as God. There is no final destination.
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Sometimes it gets me down. But in general, I'm always striving for a higher rut.
Al Marcus

Post by Al Marcus »

Jim-Me too, but I am lucky at my age, to stay in the rut I am in.lol...al Image Image

------------------
My Website..... www.cmedic.net/~almarcus/

Al Udeen

Post by Al Udeen »

At my age, I'm happy just to BE playing!
John Bechtel

Post by John Bechtel »

I'm happy with my steel playing, but; apparently no one else has been for the past (5)-years! Image

------------------
“Big John” Bechtel
’04 SD–10 Black Derby w/3 & 5 & Pad
’49-’50 Fender T–8 Custom
’65 Re-Issue Fender Twin–Reverb Custom™ 15” Eminence
web site
Farris Currie

Post by Farris Currie »

Well,when it tears the crowd up,and then here comes the girls,what more matters??ENJOY. farris
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

Al C.. "Music is as infinite as God,there is no final destination".. I'll keep that in mind. VERY sharp and perceptive observation!

I am not really "beating myself up".. I just try to compare myself to the "big boys" too often I guess.

I imagine I am just one of those guys who will NEVER be truly happy with anything he does musically,even if everyone else around him including his peers LOVES it. Its just the way I'm wired... I know I play ok, but to me its just not enough I guess... bob
Marty Pollard

Post by Marty Pollard »

My serious reply would be that I love playing so much that it MAKES ME HAPPY!

I've been doing a whole lot of work for different bands lately and in some great venues and it's just a wonderful experience even at its worst.

Sure, there are mistakes of all kinds and even the occasional *gasp* intonation issue but mostly it's kind of like playing on 'auto-pilot'; I count one off and the song almost plays itself. It's weird. And many times I'm amazed at the stuff that comes out that I really hadn't planned but just gets executed in real time.

To be honest, if I didn't like my playing, I wouldn't have much fun.

Even on Tele, even though I've only been playing the thing for 3 yrs (but rhythm for decades), I have good ideas that are only limited by my ability to execute them. There are a few awesome Tele shredders around here that have amazing chops/licks but some don't have the greatest taste/ideas; know whut I mean?

I think I DO have good taste/tone on Tele.
but I would wouldn't I... Image
Mark Metdker

Post by Mark Metdker »

Bob, great topic.
I listen to Bobby Flores' great CDs with Dicky Overby playing some of the sweetest steel music I have ever heard. But all the time I think:
"I will never be able to play like that"
And, like you said, at most gigs we play at, there aren't other steel players sitting out there critiquing us.....thank God!

I am a half a$$ steel player at best, and that is probably all I will ever be. At this point I try to just enhance a song the best I can. I'm not there to put on a clinic, just make the song better because there is a steel guitar sound in it.....does that make sense? I try to make the front man sound good. They always ask me back that way!

------------------
Zum U-12 w/True Tone pickup thru a Nashville 112

Strats thru a VHT Pitbull

Band Pics
http://community.webshots.com/album/176544894AuXSmi