Steel Guitar and Baseball

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jim Peters

Post by Jim Peters »

Cardinals my whole life. This year is shaping up! JP
Russ Young

Post by Russ Young »

I've moved in and out of Padre, Dodger, Angel, Giant, A's, Red Sox and Mariners country, but I'm with Rick: I don't think I'll ever enjoy baseball as much as I did watching the PCL Padres at Westgate Park.

Although going to Fenway or Wrigley comes mighty close ...
Reggie Duncan

Post by Reggie Duncan »

Orioles!!! Is Boog Powell still playing first?
Ken Williams

Post by Ken Williams »

I grew listening to St. Louis Cardinals with Harry Carey and Jack Buck doing the play-by-play. "There's a drive,way back, it might me outta here, it could be, it is!!! a home run." People like Stan Musial, Bill White, Lou Brock, etc. were my heros.

Ken
Mark Lind-Hanson

Post by Mark Lind-Hanson »

SF Giants fan since 1963...
still waiting- still dreamin'
Jody Carver

Post by Jody Carver »

I was at all seven games of the 55 series and I was overjoyed and jumping wthe glee when Johnny Podres shut the mighty Yankees bats out 2 to O....every Yankee fan booed,

Pee Wee had a ground ball hit to him at short and Pee Wee threw it to Gil who made the long stretch and Brooklyn was never the same again

I was happy to see Pee Wee toss the ball for
the last out it was appropriate that the Captain and the only Dodger player to play in all the world series games since the Dodgers last won the series in 1941. Billy Martin rest his soul threw his cap into the stands and some nice guy gave it to me. I still have it..Those were the days my friend
I thought they'd never end,,but they did and since the Dodgers left Broolyn I lost my interest,,,,however when they first left I would drive to old Shibe Park when the Dodgers played the Philadelphia Phillies.

Walter O Malley broke many hearts in Brooklyn
mine is still broken..edited that was when Baseball was a game and not a big business with ballplayers have no loyalty and play for themselves and not the team phooey.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Jody Carver on 03 March 2005 at 02:35 PM.]</p></FONT>
ray qualls

Post by ray qualls »

I'm with Ken on this one. Who could forget Enos Slaughter, Harvey Haddix, Ken Boyer, Vinegar Bend Mizell, Solly Hemus, Red Schoendienst, Wally Moon and Curt Flood! Of course Stan Musial was my Hero! I remember listening one afternoon and he hit (5) home runs in a double header. He was what a Hero should be.

------------------
Ray Qualls

Jim Hartley

Post by Jim Hartley »

Seeing all these teams mentioned reminds me of an old Del Reeves song that mentioned all the cities and teams. I worked a few years with Del and it was always a fun song to play. Anybody else remember it?
Michael Haselman

Post by Michael Haselman »

Ditto what Eric said way at the top. Twins since 1960. Harmon Killebrew, Bob Allison, Tony-O (who got robbed again by the hall of fame this year). Hey Eric, are you a former Minnesotan?

------------------
Marrs D-10, Webb 6-14E

Jody Carver

Post by Jody Carver »

Hey you Cardinal fans,how could you forget
Howie Pollet and Walt and Mort Cooper and Johnny Hopp and Frank Crespi, Terry Moore in Center field. Marty Marion at Shortstop.That great picher Ernie White Joe Medwick.

Billy Southworth a fine manager with a lot of sprit that drove his birds high in the sky when they beat the "mighty Yankees in the world series..those were the great Cardinals and lets not forget the original
Gas House Gang,Pepper Martin etc etc. They came to Brooklyn and I would shudder.Leo Durocher a light hitting but great fielding shortstop who drove umpires nuts with his big mouth Image

What kind of Cardinal fans are you? ImageFrankie Frisch..those were the days when hot dogs cost a nickel and ballplayers didnt wear one set of gloves for batting and one set for running,they used tar and tape on their bats and sheer talent and determination

I got those Saint Louie Blues. edited by a Brooklyn Dodgers fan. Sportsmans Park where it all happened.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Jody Carver on 04 March 2005 at 08:11 AM.]</p></FONT>
Billy Joe Bailey

Post by Billy Joe Bailey »

I know no one knows where Pearl Missippippi is? But it's on the mapjust across the Pearl River From Jackson .Anyway Pearl put in a bid for the franchise of what was the Carolina Braves-Now they are the Missippippi Braves-I think they are a Minor league I'm not sure.A twenty year contract was signed .A new statiom is under construction in Pearl now.
The thing I wonder about we already have a minor league here in Jackson Call the Jackson Generals And I just don't see how this area is going to be able to suport two teems. The Brave have got a place to play now for twenty years. is that gambleing
Theresa Galbraith

Post by Theresa Galbraith »

Chicago Cubs! Image
Charles French

Post by Charles French »

count me in, love baseball. players fan i am. johan santana is dangerous! gotta love the braves. anxious to see how noah lowry comes along. derek lowe will get the respect he deserves. tim hudson will save the braves when smoltz blows up. taking boy to st.louis this year, went to atlanta last year for braves/cubs game. need to save lots of money!!
George Plemons

Post by George Plemons »

I have been a die hard baseball fan since the M&M boys in the 60's. I am a Rangers fan now...and the Cub fans think they have it bad..
Bob Hempker

Post by Bob Hempker »

Cincinnati Reds: Ever since the '50's with Kluszewski, Wally Post, Gus Bell, Ed Bailey. Later in the '70's came the "Big Red Machine," with Morgan, Rose, Bench, Perez, Foster, Concepcion, Geronimo. In my younger days, I would ride the B&O train from Lima, OH to Cincy to go to Crosley Field to watch the ball game. Ted Kluszewski still is my all time favorite baseball player. I used to take the radio to bed with me at night when they were playing on the west coast. It's the greatest game ever created by man.

------------------
Fred Murphy

Post by Fred Murphy »

I like the Reds and the Cubs. I'm a bigger fan of paintball though. I love to watch NPPL games on TV (National Paintball Players Association). Especially if XSV or Avalanche are playin'.
John Parker

Post by John Parker »

I've never been to New York but I have been to Dodger Stadium as a kid and seen Sandy Kofaux and Don Drysdale pitch. And lets not forget Maurry Wills and Jim Gillium and the others that played for the love of the game.

And yes, I am still a die hard Dodger fan.

------------------
John Parker
Zumsteel SD10 3x5
Peavey Session 400
Stephen Gregory

Post by Stephen Gregory »

Darn, no more Nashville Palace and no more Montreal Expos!
Jim Palenscar

Post by Jim Palenscar »

I was brought up in Pasadena and was a Brooklyn Dodger fan when to my glee they moved to LA (sorry East-Coasters) in the mid 50's. We used to see the LA Angels (minor league) at Wrigley field in LA and my Dad had box seats at the Coliseum and then to Chavez Ravine and I was fortunate enough to know the team by heart (and still remember it as there were actual teams with players and loyalty and players that stayed around for more than a season or two). Roseboro/Pignatanto,Hodges/Larker,Neal,Wills,Gillium,Moon,Demeter,Snider,Drysdale/Koufax- wow- great memories! Now- living in North San Diego County I'm a Padres fan (kinda a Dodger-Hater) and enjoy going to about 20 games a season. Going when the gates open- sitting by myself for an hour or so watching batting practice- hot dogs & beer- sorry Carl's Jr.- it really just doesn't get any better than that! If you're comin' to the San Diego area and want to see a game- let me know and maybe we can hook up!<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Jim Palenscar on 14 March 2005 at 12:27 AM.]</p></FONT>
Ben Elder

Post by Ben Elder »

There's very little I know about PSG but one valuable tip that this owner of a ZB D-10 has learned from big league boys is the necessity of steroids.
Bill Myrick

Post by Bill Myrick »

Ray---I was lucky enough to be at old Sportsman Park on the day Musial hit the five. There was a pretty stiff wind blowing out to right field that day, but still quite a feat ! He always got a raise out of the crowd with that little "pre pitch" dance he had.
Joe Naylor

Post by Joe Naylor »

Well guys I live in Phoenix - March is special - My boys come out for Spring Break from Texas (get here Friday) and WE SEE GAMES - last year they were here for 7 days and we saw 7 baseball, games a hockey game (not this year) a rodeo and a baseball card show where they got autographs for many current and recent stars. So I am resting up some this week for the spring break / training stuff next week.

It has been said that in March there are more Cubs fans in Phoenix than in Chicago - I agree - You can not sling a dead cat without hitting a Cubs fan. This AM one jogged by my house (about 70 plus with a Cubs T-shirt on) Oh yes it is snow bird season for a few more weeks too. 75 degrees and baseball -

Charles French

Post by Charles French »

Anyone around the Memphis area, AutoZone Ballpark, April 1st, Reds & Bluejays will have a game. Got my son & I tickets, lower dugout. Should be a lot of fun. It's a great ballpark, ain't a bad seat in the house. Hoping my son can get Ken Griffey Jr, Sean Casey autograph.
Stephen Gregory

Post by Stephen Gregory »

It's that time again!
Joe A. Camacho

Post by Joe A. Camacho »

Another Padre fan, just attended my 25th consecutive opening day.