So what are you practicing..right now...??

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Chad Karnitz

Post by Chad Karnitz »

I've given up practicing for Lent.
Al Marcus

Post by Al Marcus »

I am still remembering all the many solos I played over the years, and trying to see if I can still play them.

I have a lot better guitar now, so it is easier than it used to be.....al Image Image Image

------------------
My Website..... www.cmedic.net/~almarcus/

Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

<html>
C6 instrumentals: Heart of a Clown in the style of Chalker and Johnny Cox. Polishing up All the Things UR, and How High the Moon.

One of the guys at our jams likes to sing Beach Boys music so I am working on In My Room, Surfer Girl among others.
He does some Western Swing,
so it's Right or Wrong and Yearning also.

Image <FONT SIZE=1>mostly messing with radio oldies on guitar and bass</FONT>
</html> <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Jerry Overstreet on 22 February 2005 at 08:49 PM.]</p></FONT>
Roger Crawford

Post by Roger Crawford »

My stuff for Saluda on the 20th! Russ, I know better than you having to keep up! I was talking to Bruce Zumsteg a while back about your twin project, and how it amazed me how you did the twin stuff you do (like "Leave it to Beaver"!). Bruce's response was, "Russ can play harmony to thunder"! Quite appropriate.
Steve Stallings

Post by Steve Stallings »

practice?....rotflmao

I tried it once for a week. At the end of the week, I still didn't sound like Buddy so I gave up. Image

I just got the Hagbag stuff and also some of Loessbergs C6 and E9 CD's. I'm messing with that.

------------------
God Bless,
Steve Stallings

David Mullis

Post by David Mullis »

On the front neck, smoothing out the slow stuff I play and making each note count. On the back neck, scales and chord positions, not learning songs yet, just working on stuff that would be practical on a gig if i get the urge to hop on the back neck.
David Doggett
Location: Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)

Post by David Doggett »

If there is a gig coming up I play along with tapes I make at rehearsals. If there's no imminent gig, I play along with the radio or a CD - country, blues, jazz, occasionally even pop and hip-hop. Eventually I turn the stereo off to work out some bit, then forget to turn it back on and go exploring. When I lose patience with that and am close to quitting, I go over some solo arrangements I've been working on forever - Last Date, Danny Boy, My Funny Valentine, Chopin's Prelude in C minor (it's the one where you just bang out chords in the same rythm - dum, dum, dum-di, dum; dum, dum, dum-di, dum, etc.), and the theme from Mozart's Clarinet Concerto in A. And if it's too late and I'm too drunk to handle those, I just do some made-up country pedal mashin' and neck-sliding. Hopefully I'm playing through head-phones for all of this mess.
Drew Howard

Post by Drew Howard »

Tim Harr, I'm with you on the Real Book charts.

Drew

------------------
<font face="monospace" size="3"><pre>Drew Howard - website - Fessy D-10 8/8, Magnatone S-8, N400's, BOSS RV-3</pre></font>

Glenn Womack

Post by Glenn Womack »

Bar slants to partially make up for shortage of knee levers on this miserable thing I am stuck with at the time. I have worked up a decent F lever sound and still hold a three note chord. Now I am practicing getting there with the right slant at the right place at the right time. I actually like the slant sound better than the lever sound. Seems to "flow" more smoothly.

Glenn
Jerry Warner

Post by Jerry Warner »

just watch lloyd green on all the bar slants that he go's thru playing bar's of steel and some of the other's songs he plays he is one of the master's along w/ jerry byrd is the master.
Jerry Warner

Post by Jerry Warner »

and don't forget about one of the other master's mr buddy emmons man when he plays a song it just seems to go into your brain and when you go to bed after listening to one of his classic's it get's hard for me to get to sleep and then i have to get up and grab me a couple of b/l's and then go and jump back in the bed and wake the wife up and ask her if she heard anything, and she says what are you talking about oh just a song honey and so good.
Bob Hayes

Post by Bob Hayes »

Tony,
I'm workin on getting my Band In The Box (that I got from Chuck Campbell) Up and going.. it seam like it's preety neat..After the last jam..I realized that I NEED a LOT of everything!!!!..But I've got to finish laying a Hard Wood Floor for my wife!! OWW My poor Fingers
Grouchy
Gregg Thacker

Post by Gregg Thacker »

Being a new wannabee and greenhorn, I am practicing SCALES...What else HA! Image

Gregg

------------------
If it don't have a Steel, it ain't real!

Joe Fortune

Post by Joe Fortune »

Working on a couple tunes from Russ Hicks's 'On the C Side'. Laney's 'Nearness of You' and Russ's 'Curtain Call'. They'll sure make you sit up close !!!
Bart Maloney

Post by Bart Maloney »

I am working on Robert Earl Keens "Jesse With the Long Hair Hanging Down", Whiskeytowns "Dancing with Women at the Bar," and from Jerry Jeff Walkers live album "I Feel Like Hank Williams Tonight."
I am having the most trouble with the Jerry Jeff song.

------------------
"Keep on Keepin' on"
www.bartmaloney.iwarp.com

Will Sevy

Post by Will Sevy »

I'm working on Norah Jones' Lonestar, California Stars by billy Bragg and Wilco,
Allison by elvis costello, Allison krauss' the lucky one,Eurotrash girl by Cracker, Van Morrison Into the Mystic, And by "working on" I mean that I sit in my music room, mash 2 pedals, and claw at 3 strings like Quasimoto. The nice thing about living in Idaho is that nobody can tell if your any good on the steel, so I just tell everyone that I am.
Damir Besic

Post by Damir Besic »

the nice thing about living in Nashville is that I don`t have to practice at all, because there is a gazillion players better than me and I don`t have a chanse to begin with.So,I just ride my bike,shoot my guns and watch movies on weekend.

Db

------------------
"Promat"
~when tone matters~

Wayne Morgan

Post by Wayne Morgan »

"Russ can play harmony to thunder"!
And that thunder just might be "I'll Come Running" or whatever the tital, behind Connie,
no that would be harmoney to lightening.
Russ "Lightening" Hicks,,he da man, and put him and Randy togather, you got a cite' to behold.
Oh !!! BTW I'm playing all the Russ Hicks tunes. >>>>>>yeah right !

Wayne
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

I'm practicing getting to the bathroom with time to spare,the proper use of all facilities therein,and afterwards I work on the intricasies of the fork and mastering all functions thereof. bob
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

Bob, I guess you are fortunate to have a bathroom large enough to include a Steel Guitar for practicing !

t<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Tony Prior on 21 February 2005 at 06:18 AM.]</p></FONT>
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

Tony.. It is an interesting fact that my bathroom tones AND my steel guitar tones are almost identical to the untrained ear!!! [sorry ,, just too good an opening for me too pass up!!] bob
Marco Schouten

Post by Marco Schouten »

I'm currently working on the beautifull Tom Brumley number: Tracy's Waltz.

------------------
Steelin' Greetings
Marco Schouten
Sho-Bud LLG; Guyatone 6 string lap steel; John Pearse bar; Emmons bar; Evans SE200 amp

Herman Visser

Post by Herman Visser »

Working on Over The Rainbow and Amazing Grace
richard burton

Post by richard burton »

I am totally undisciplined and just noodle away aimlessly. Occasionly some snippet will grab my attention, and I'll make an attempt.
I've totally stagnated since circumstances made me stop gigging.
R B
Jay Jessup

Post by Jay Jessup »

Hawaiian music and trying to figure out more advanced chords and C6 style patterns on E9.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Jay Jessup on 22 February 2005 at 06:12 AM.]</p></FONT>