Any Steelers in there 20's or younger?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bob Hickish

Post by Bob Hickish »

Like Terry said ! I have been 20 more than three
times now -- and yes back in those days I knew about
50 steel players - none of them were older than 10 or 12 at the time !

It sure is grate that there are you young fellows stepping up to
being the next generation of Steelers - and in my opinion it don't
matter one bit what king of music you play as long as you do it on
a Steel - I have heard just about every type of music played on steel
and its all good , ( except rap !yuk! ) what ever you do don't ever
quit ! because you will always come back ! Been there done that !
My hats off to you all .
Regards Bob
Andrew Kilinski

Post by Andrew Kilinski »

I'm 27...i've been playing for about six months, (which is about how long my guitars have gone unplayed.)

I grew up on hair metal, then moved along to blues, then jazz, then country (but only the good kind). I'll try and melt it all together some day.

Ben, I guess i'm lucky to live where I do, since I can drive a half hour to sit down with Carl Dixon, who helped point me in the right direction to start. (Thanks Carl)

(The PSG forum sure makes life easy too.)

Well, back to spending some quality time with the late, great Jeff Newman.
Toby Rider

Post by Toby Rider »

I'm 31. Is that not young? I was raised on hillbilly music. So I heard the best of it at a young age. I recokon that makes me old at heart :-)<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Toby Rider on 12 January 2005 at 11:21 PM.]</p></FONT>
Bobby Boggs

Post by Bobby Boggs »

Brian Dickson is a killer player.He's around 24.Brian turned pro several years ago and is a member here but no longer post either because he's to busy or too broke to afford a computer. Image
Steve Howard

Post by Steve Howard »

More great posts. Didn't want to discriminate against the older guys because most of you are probably still young at heart. With my generation however music has taken a serious turn in general from previous generations.

To put it in perspective maybe, when I was 10-14 years old and really playing a lot of guitar and loving every minute of it, I was on the hair band redgement of practice, practice, practice... I mean, if you want to be Eddie Van Halen or Steve Vai you aren't going to get there by not working hard. High School rolled around and sports took over my life, but what also happend was Nirvana. We had 1000's of hard rock guitar players who where truly first rate musicians (even if you don't like the style) and then out of no where a band that could hardly play an instrument took off changed the whole outlook on music. After that, some of the shredders in waiting still made it big with bands like Soundgarden and Candle Box but basically it was a revolt against working hard to become the best musician possible and it turned more into revolt against authority type thing. It really wasn't about the music anymore, it was about the image.

So fast forward 8-10 years to today. Most (and I do use the word most, not all) pop and rock music have very little emphasis on good musicians. You hardly ever hear a guitar solo anymore.

So what this has done is two things. one good one bad. I think there where a lot of guys left over like me that were introduced to music with the heavy musicianship and we loved it. Then it all went down hill. After awhile, we start to see that country music still has kept alive a tradition of quality musicians and many of us flocked to it. 4 of 7 people in my band are converts from the rock world and we all like "real" country music. That is pretty cool I think.

But the bad part is that it seems many now are growing up with music that if you know how to play a bar chord, you are practically as good as the guys you are hearing on the radio. You have no reason to work hard or dive deep into musical theory and such. We have to admit that steel guitar is not an instrument you can just beat around on every now and then. It is something you truly have to work hard at, and I just don't think the "masses" of younger musicians have the "want to" to attack an instrument like steel.

Sorry for my rambling, but this is what I grew up with and is why I am still kind of optimistic about country music in general (a lot of rock converts getting into it) but am not as optimistic about steel guitar players in the future (much less of an attitude of wanting to be as good as you can be). But maybe if more and more get interested in country, they will see that musicianship is still alive and they will be inspired.
Tommy Roten

Post by Tommy Roten »

I'm 20, been playing for 5 years.
www.tommy-steel.com <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Tommy Roten on 13 January 2005 at 08:24 AM.]</p></FONT>
Russ Rickmann

Post by Russ Rickmann »

Tommy Roten.....keep on pickin' man! I just love your pics, especially the one on the bus with all the snow in the background. That my friend is dedication!
Jaim Zuber

Post by Jaim Zuber »

I'm just out of my 20's but I spent many hours in my formative years trying to be Eddie Van Halen, Satriani et al. THe problem with that era is that many confused musicianship with playing fast.

Rock music was never about "musicianship" (for the most part) until Van Halen broke out. If you knew a few barre chords and a handful of pentatonic licks you could play in a rock band. By the time the 80's came along, you had to play a millions note per bar; so any aspiring rock guitarist had to spent countless hours working on his chops. This was usually at the expense of things like writing songs (or learning to play to compliment a song), theory (most "shredder theory" consisted of playing wierd scales over power chords) and rhythm skills.

It produced a whole crop of players that couldn't do anything but play fast; not to mention a whole generation of guitarists that throw their shred licks into everything they do (jazz, funk, blues, country, whatever... check out these hot licks....).

I'm not worried about the younger generation of musicians. There is plenty out there to learn for those that want to seek it out. I'm seeing plenty of players coming up now that can nail many different styles and are, frankly, bad*ss.
Steve Howard

Post by Steve Howard »

Well I have to respectfully disagree with that statement.

Sure, shredders confused playing fast with playing good. But at least they were equiping themselves with the tools to play "good" in the future. You have to know your scales and your theory to go very far and I don't think you are giving that group of musicians enough credit. They choose to play fast because it is their style. Once becoming truly interested in other forms of music they will adapt to those styles as well. The lead player in my band was a shredder and I have never heard a local musician better than him. He can play Satriani and then back off the fuzz and play the sweetest Chickin Pickin Mason licks you've ever heard.

Once those shredders decide to move away from what they originally liked, they can generally have a chance to do well in other genres because they had the tools (knowledge of theory) to do it.

And as far as the "many" you were speaking of, what is many? If there are 10,000 guitar players in my town and I play in the music circuit, I am going to know "many" of the top 10% of those guys. Sure there are plenty of cats that are younger that are bad a**es, but my point is compare the percentage of kids 10 years ago that could play a major and minor scale compared to the percentage of them that can do it now. There is less interest now in learning how to play (for the masses, not all) than there used to be because of the lack of musicianship in the more popular genres of music.
Kenny Brown

Post by Kenny Brown »

I started steel when I was 28, I just turned 30 last month--a year and 3 months later I'm doing "okay". Need to get a lesson in with someone soon to help me learn some things I might not learn as soon on my own.

Need more folks to get on steel. I'm very happy to be aboard.

Joey Ace

Post by Joey Ace »

It's great to see all you young'uns taking this instrument so seriously. I'm proud of all of ya!

As a moderator, I find it interesting that none of the 'problem posts' and 'hate mail' are from the younger generation.

You guys show respect and class. Keep at it.
Will Holtz

Post by Will Holtz »

I'm 26, been playing steel for two years now. I grew up in a little town in Wisconsin called Sheboygan Falls. Hated country music all through high school and mostly listened to modern rock on the radio. Since then I've branched out a bunch and listen to blues, jazz, folk and even some classical stuff. I really came to the pedal steel via indie rock and alt-country music. Since I started playing PSG I've purchased a bunch of old country music to hear the steel playing, and a good chunk of it I end up liking for more than just the steel. <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Will Holtz on 13 January 2005 at 05:06 PM.]</p></FONT>
Toby Rider

Post by Toby Rider »

That's because us young guys are at the altar of the Steel Guitar Gods here at the Steel Guitar Forum.

You got to speak in hushed reverent tones when visiting the Masters (and leave an offering of an unopened can of Copenhagen, sweet tea, fried okra, and black-eyed peas). :-)<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Toby Rider on 13 January 2005 at 05:14 PM.]</p></FONT>
Matt Hughes

Post by Matt Hughes »

I'm 27 and have been taking pedal steel lessons from Don E. Curtis for a little over a year. I can't believe how much I've learned from him in such a little amount of time. In fact, I just ordered a GFI Universal and can't wait to get it.
I grew up on country/folk music but strayed in my teen years. I've gone through every musical genre from Big Band to Punk and still enjoy them all. I've even played guitar in punk and metal bands up until a few years ago. However, there's always been something real about classic country music that draws me in.
I started playing steel because of Waylon Jennings, Buck Owens, and Merle Haggard. Now I can say I started playing because of Ralph Mooney, Tom Brumley, Norm Hamlet and Jimmy Day.
I guess I really enjoy playing pedal steel because it's like a never ending music lesson and puzzle. Oh yeah, it sounds amazing too.
Even though I've only been playing for a year I think a very important part of steel guitar is knowing the history of it. If new players are not familiar with the past of their instrument they will have a hard time building on the technique and the sound of it.
Jaim Zuber

Post by Jaim Zuber »

Steve, I respect your opinion. I'm just calling things as I saw them.

I started playing the 6 string in the mid 80's. I spent most of the rest of that decade trying to emulate the shredders of the era. Looking back, I view the time spent working on my chops as a huge waste of time. The time spent on my chops would have been much better used elsewhere, and the theory popular in that era didn't do me a bit of good when I started getting into jazz.

I think you're giving too much credit to the players of the past, just because they had technical skills. I spent some time in the music schools of that era (before Nirvana). I encountered a lot of players who could shred like crazy, but couldn't read a chart, couldn't play over changes, couldn't play the blues or do anything but play a million notes a second. A good portion of these guys cared nothing about theory, or anything but playing fast. This type of player was very common back then.

This summer, I was floored by a group of high school kids playing jazz. They were so far beyond where I was at that age (and I was serious about jazz back then) it wasn't funny. Not because they could play things I couldn't have played, but because that they knew when not to play. I see a lot of working players out there today (mostly guitarists) who still haven't learned those lessons.
Steve Howard

Post by Steve Howard »

Jaim,

Even though I disagree about a lot of the "shredders" I have met, you are right on the money about jazz. Jazz is so far above and beyond anything else and is a style all its own. And when I was getting heavier into jazz late high school, learning that not playing over every measure of every song was as important as the licks you played when you were playing. Knowing when not to play helped my playing so so much.

Matt,
So, being a youngin, are you playing with any bands here in STL? Country bands are always looking for steelers.
Brian Wetzstein

Post by Brian Wetzstein »

Hi Steve.
I am 29. I play pedal steel in two bands in Seattle. One band is Alt.Country where they let me play as twangy as I can, and the other band is power pop punk where I play pretty non-tradional psg as well as keyboard and underarm guitar.
It is a fun mix for me. When I first started learning psg I bought tons of classic records like Night Life and Live at Panther Hall just so I can know where all this stuff came from. Now I take it and do my own thing.
I know there are a few more steelers in there twenties in this area and a few more in their early thirties. I don't see the steel dying any time soon. At least not while I am above ground!
brian
Matt Hughes

Post by Matt Hughes »

Steve
I haven't started to look for a band yet because I feel I need to learn my way around the steel a little more before playing out.
I would love to play in an all original country band eventually. However, most of my friends and peers are playing indie rock.
Are you playing around the area at all?
Matt
Jim Peters

Post by Jim Peters »

Matt and Steve- I'm playing next Fri. the 21st at The Venice Cafe( Brad Sarno's old gig) with Tom Wood, songs by New Riders, Dylan, the Band, in that vein. Half steel, half guitar. Come on out and watch me butcher Panama Red! JimP
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

You guys sound very astute, sensible and knowledgable in progressing with regard to your musical endeavers. I like your open mindedness.

Us older guys are certainly learning some things from you.
Michael Witcher

Post by Michael Witcher »

Well,

I am 23 and have been playing Dobro for about 9 years now.
I live in Los Angeles and over the last number of years I would say I have had around 60 or so private students. And the work shops around the country get bigger and bigger. I only see the number of people wanting to play increase. Most of them have always heard it and loved it......just took a while to figure out what it was.
I get a good 9 or 10 calls a year of people looking for a pedal teacher.
That is a strong message that the demand is there. At least in this area.
I wish I played the pedal. There is not a day that goes that I hear somethin in my head and think "if only I had the pedals".
Gary Lee Gimble

Post by Gary Lee Gimble »

<SMALL>I wish I played the pedal.</SMALL>
So what are you waiting for? The time is never right.
Klaus Caprani

Post by Klaus Caprani »

Michael wrote:
<SMALL>I am 23 and have been playing Dobro for about 9 years now.</SMALL>
With those dobro/lapsteel skills you undoubhtedly have, through 9 years of playing and teaching, there's no excuse anymore. GO AND DO IT!!!!!!!

Even I don't know you personally I dare to promise that you won't regret it ;-)

I waited for 25 years before getting one.
I sincerely can't remember that I ever bought anything that made me this happy Image

------------------
Klaus Caprani

MCI RangeXpander S-10 3x4
www.klauscaprani.com

Steve Howard

Post by Steve Howard »

Jim,

I will definately keep your gig in mind. That would be pretty cool. Unfortunately, my wife is a home body and I have a hard time getting her to go listen to live music, including my own.

Matt,
I had played around Jeff County a couple years ago with a country band called Cedar Creek but that was only six string.

I now am playing with a band called Haywire which I put together a few months ago and is really just now starting to take off. Our first gig is my sister's wedding tonight and then we record a demo in February. To be honest, part of the reason I started playing steel is because I was playing six-string and some basic fiddle in my band when we decided to get someone who really smoked, and I'm not kidding, we got what I would say one of the best guitar and fiddle players in St. Louis by accident. They both used to play for the Rae West Band. So, with the talent they brought to the table, all the peices where in place except a steel. I had always liked it and now I had a great reason to play it. I anticipate us playing out by late March mainly because we are still building our set list. You can check out our website www.haywirestl.com for shows when we have some more.

But you should definately get out there. I have been playing steel for only a month now and am playing about 12 songs on steel (slide guitar and PSG technique). Just copying some steel riffs off the CDs and playing stuff like "Neon Rainbow" and "It's Your Love". They aren't perfect and a more accomplished player would play them better,but you can't really start learning until you get out there and do it. I really want to start learning how to improvise though so I need to get with Don Curtis.
Bob Markison

Post by Bob Markison »

Nice thread for a new year! As a 54 year old life long multi-instrumentalist (mostly jazz), I think the big musical game has always welcomed younger players with open arms. I played the other night with the Brubeck Institute (all under 30) jazz group, and I was a thrilled to hear their deep reverence for the long history of music. They knew about Bob Will's breakthough instrumental combinations, Alvino Rey's horn section (and they could name the horn players), and they were up to date on Tom Morrell's very swinging material. They did not look at any pieces of paper as they played difficult Charlie Parker tunes, gorgeous Strayhorn tunes (Lush Life included), Coltrane's Giant Steps and so forth. I called San Antonio Rose, and they did not hesitate - modulating through various keys (with or without the Coltrane progression). They readily linked Django to Charlie Christian to Joaquin Murphey, etc. You can't miss if you listen broadly, work with a broad and striving group of players of all ages in various idioms, and keep it all fresh, creative and connected. Without doubt, steel of all sorts is here to stay, producers and fashion shifts notwithstanding. - Bob