Favorite E9 Rides?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Grant Johnson

Favorite E9 Rides?

Post by Grant Johnson »

There are so many but here is mine right now:
Herby Wallace "Rolling in my Sweet Baby's Arms" live at the convention, from a steel guitar cassette club recording, circa early eighties. Wow, great sustained chickin' pickin'.
What are your favorite E9 rides?

------------------
www.bigsmokey.com
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Grant Johnson on 29 October 2004 at 05:32 PM.]</p></FONT>
Farris Currie

Post by Farris Currie »

Lloyd Green, COOL STEEL MAN in the 70s,some of the best!!i have loaned the record out and lost it,man i could just cry!!!!!!!!!!!
Pat Dawson

Post by Pat Dawson »

Grant, the way BE plays that tune truly is amazing. I also love "Farewell Party" on that tape.

------------------
1970 Emmons D10
Nashville 1000
Mike Archer

Post by Mike Archer »

I love the buddy emmons stuff
but I dont have that tape is it still
available? from where?

mike a
Gere Mullican

Post by Gere Mullican »

"Touch My Heart - A Tribute To Johnny Paycheck". Lloyd Green is all over that sucker. Lloyd, you have got to be from some other planet. How in the world can you keep coming up with new licks all the time? If yall ain't heard this CD yet you got to get it (if you love pedal steel guitar). Also the Ray Pillow CD with Tommy White. WOW!!!!
Gere
Walter Stettner

Post by Walter Stettner »

Lloyd Green on the Little Darlin' and Chart records! There are so many ideas on those records, truly amazing!

Some of Lloyd's LD cuts were re-released on CD ("Master Of The Steel Strings"). This one is in heavy rotation on my player! Image

Kind Regards, Walter

www.lloydgreentribute.com
www.austriansteelguitar.at.tf

------------------
Bill Ford

Post by Bill Ford »

Why do you guys keep asking questions like this,You know dang good and well it makes my brain hurt try'in to figger it out...There are just too many great pickers, and too many great licks/runs. Lloyd Green, Jim Day, Buddy, Paul, etc,etc.

BF
Grant Johnson

Post by Grant Johnson »

"Why do you guys keep asking questions like this,You know dang good and well it makes my brain hurt try'in to figger it out...There are just too many great pickers, and too many great licks/runs. Lloyd Green, Jim Day, Buddy, Paul, etc,etc."

Ha!
Well how about one that you heard recently that really caught your ear?
Farris Currie

Post by Farris Currie »

been listening to BOBBE SEYMORE on cds lately,he's got some very pretty stuff!!!
James Cann

Post by James Cann »

Listen to "Alberta Bound" on "Nashville Sundown," Curly Chalker's all-E9 tribute to Gordon Lightfoot.

Hang on to your hat!

James
Sho-Bud LDG<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by James Cann on 07 November 2004 at 09:35 AM.]</p></FONT>
Al Udeen

Post by Al Udeen »

For me, Its Buddys Masterpiece playing on ETs "Half a Mind" considering he had only 8 strings to work with back then in 1958 I agree theres been a lot of killer stuff since then, like Hals creative 2nd string licks on Loretta Lynns hits & of course Hugheys "Look at Us" & Lloyds Paycheck records & Farewell Party, But I say Buddy started it all, If you dont have ETs "The Ernest Tubb Story" also cut in 58, your missing some unbelievable stuff! Al Udeen
Dave Ristrim

Post by Dave Ristrim »

I know there are tons of great E9 solos out there by the "greats", but one of my all time faves is Randy Beavers on an old Steven Fromholtz album. The song was called Late Night Neon Shadows and Randy used a phase shifter and played and sounded awesome. I think it had a lot to do with me playing steel today. Thanks Randy.
dave
Farris Currie

Post by Farris Currie »

YES,one happy fellow,i had said earlier,i lost my record on cool steel man Lloyd Green,well i so excited because a wonderful steeler emailed me, said he was sending me a cd,Boys this is what its all about,just don't get no better friends than here on the forum.Money won't buy it!!!!
THANK YOU MY FRIENDS
FARRIS
Grant Johnson

Post by Grant Johnson »

Here's more:
I was listening to Dale Watson - The Truckin' Sessions last night and our very own Ricky Davis takes some great E9 rides all over that record...
randy

Post by randy »

There are dozens of really great rides. My absolute favorites are "Our YesterDays", "King of Broken Hearts", and everything he does including those amazing runs and fills in "Houston". There will never be another Buddy.
John Poston

Post by John Poston »

I will never forget the time I heard my favorite steel break. I had been playing E9 steel for a year or so and my band was on the road in North Dakota. One of the band members picked up a cheap truckstop Conway Twitty cassette - the Warner Bros. hits. Most of you know the type of music most of it is.

It was the coldest night I've ever experienced. 10 to 20 below before the windchill. Our water froze in the van, even with the heater on full blast. The music was on LOUD to help us keep alert and we were bundled up against the chill.

It's the middle of the night. Suddenly, on comes Lost in the Feeling. Now I have heard Emmons' Steel Guitar & Nightlife other performances, Day's Golden steel/steel and strings and Price albums, Chalker's Big Hits, Lloyd Green on Panther Hall and countless others, and lots of steel in the music of Waylon, Thompson, Wills, Cooley, Tubb, Pierce, Hank, Tillman, Maddox Bros., Bill Anderson ('wild weekend' is a great one), the list is endless.

NOTHING compared to that steel break I heard on Lost in the Feeling and the effect it had on me. It tore the top of my head off in sound, feeling and invention. A neat chord progression and a chance for Hughey to really do something out of the ordinary. And it was nice and upfront in the mix - almost like a big middle finger for those who thought Twitty had gone pop for good.

In my opinion - it is the greatest pedal steel solo of all time.

Thanks for reading my mini-novel and for posting a fun topic.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by John Poston on 13 October 2004 at 08:50 AM.]</p></FONT>
Dave Van Allen

Post by Dave Van Allen »

A link to my topic on the solos by<A HREF ="http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum15/HTM ... .html">Tom Brumley</a> with RICK NELSON- "LAST TIME AROUND"

Another very fave is Lloyd Green's "So Sad" from his Revisited album-simply ELEGANT solo

------------------

"I've got the 'ZB Jeebies™' !"
"Pickin' it 'old school' on the Pedizzle Stizzle"
<small>1998 Zumsteel U12 "Loafer" 8&6 :: 1973 ZB Custom D-10 8&5 :: Vintage Fender 'Tube' Amplification

www.dvanet.net :: zbcustom73@dvanet.net :: www.lasttrainhome.com
:: My Tribute to the Hot Club of America in Hi-Fi

Daniel Vorp

Post by Daniel Vorp »

OK I'll jump in. My favorite up tempo E9th ride is Weldon Myrick playing on Connie Smith's "I'll Come Running". Favorite slow ride is Lloyd Green playing the slow part of a song from one of his instrumental albums, can't remember which, but the title of the song is "Robin".
Johnny Jones

Post by Johnny Jones »

Jeff Peterson's beautiful playing on Clint Black's "Nothing's News".
David Higginbotham

Post by David Higginbotham »

Tom Brumley-Together again, Garden party.

Lloyd Green-Farewell party, Some broken hearts never mend.

Paul Franklin Jr.-When I call your name.

Dan Dugmore-Blue Bayou

Way too many to list!

Alex McCollough

Post by Alex McCollough »

Bridge Washed Out - Warner Mack
Garth Highsmith

Post by Garth Highsmith »

.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Garth Highsmith on 12 January 2006 at 09:37 AM.]</p></FONT>
Tracy Sheehan

Post by Tracy Sheehan »

John Poston.You played in N.D.when it was 10 to 20 below zero.I played up there many times Better be glad you were not there when it gets cold.Tracy
Grant Johnson

Post by Grant Johnson »

Garth-
I know what you mean!
I miss Don Pawlack, he was my favorite steeler in th PNW. I am glad that he is doing so well in Texas...
I think that I'll go out and buy Dreamland today.

------------------
www.bigsmokey.com
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Grant Johnson on 14 October 2004 at 09:01 AM.]</p></FONT>
Greg Simmons

Post by Greg Simmons »

Yeah, these are all great - just add to the list Lloyd Maines on Joe Ely's "Because of the Wind" Image

------------------
Greg Simmons
Custodian of the Official Sho~Bud Pedal Steel Guitar Website