Why didn't you [and I] make it big???

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

George Kimery

Post by George Kimery »

The price you have to pay to "make it big" may not be worth it in the long run. I will never forget a Ray Price interview. He said the first thing to go was your family. I am e-mailing you a resitation that Jimmy Dean used to do called I'M DRINKING FROM THE SAUCER BECAUSE MY CUP RUNNETH OVER. I think you will like it and it has a good message that relates to this subject.
Smiley Roberts

Post by Smiley Roberts »

No Craig,he,pretty much,sticks to lead,along w/ our other "gitar-picker",Dennis Payne,fiddle,(w/ our other fiddler,Jim Unger),& bass,when Becky Hinson's not there.

------------------
<font face="monospace" size="3"><pre> ~ ~
©¿© It don't mean a thang,
mm if it ain't got that twang.
www.ntsga.com</pre></font>

Mike Archer

Post by Mike Archer »

well bob your post brings back the days
I played on the road lots of clubs and
such then one day in 1992 I went to
nashville tried out and got a job with
tim McGraw it was a great gig i could have
still been there but I loved and put my
wife and kids first and it has been well
worth it
as it worked out I worked several more pro
gigs in pidgeon forge and got to go back to
nashville and play as well so the lord has
blessed me all these years
but I know how you feel you do wonder
sometimes dont you?
but i bet you are still a great steel player
and can pick with the best anyday!!!
Ron Page

Post by Ron Page »

Bob,

I can't say anything that hasn't already been stated in one way or another. However, you mentioned your boys and I immediately thought of something that was given to me a few years ago...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR><SMALL>
PRIORITIES

A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the kind of car I drove or the size of house I lived in. But the world may be better because I was important in the life of a child.

(anonymous)
</SMALL><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is on a mouse pad my then 16-year-old son gave me. I can't tell you how good it made me feel and it could not have come to me from a more meaningful source. You obviously know what it's like to have 16-year-old boys.

------------------
HagFan

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Ron Page on 24 August 2004 at 05:25 AM.]</p></FONT>
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

I certainly have not and most likely will not ever make it big. I'm happy getting by as a musician though.

I gotta say some of these comments sound like
"sour grapes" to me. Plenty of people with day jobs have drug and alcohol problems. I haven't bumped into any band with a rock and roll lifestyle for a very long time. Most bands that are doing well are at least as sober and bussinesslike as anybody. Its to much work keeping it together these days.

Every once in a while I come up with a high profile, good money music gig. In the past I have also had good career type jobs. For me there is no doubt that even the best day job I ever had absolutely sucks compared to a decent music gig. I'm not a particularly successful musician but I don't blame it on luck or a lack of some compulsive disorder. Regardless of what many of these posts say talent and skill go a long way when it comes to success as a musician.

I've accepted that I won't be "one of the greats" because,well, I'm just not that great. I do enjoy my place in the world of music though.

------------------

Bob
intonation help

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Bob Hoffnar on 24 August 2004 at 09:20 AM.]</p></FONT>
Pete Burak

Post by Pete Burak »

In July 1982 I sat next to Mike Daily(sp?) in a one week Jeff Newman seminar.
He told me he played in the George Straight Band (I'd never heard of them at the time, 1982).
I saw him at the Dallas Convention last year, and said he is still playing with the George Straight band, and that he was on his way to play with The Derailers that night.
I'm thinking that Mike might have the type of career that could be concidered as having "made it" as a steel playing side man.
RR has definatly "made it" as a steel playing front man.
PF has definatly "made it" as a steel playing studio man.
I think of the music scene as being analagous to a lottery... there are prizes of all kinds, but you can't win if you don't play.

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Pete Burak on 24 August 2004 at 09:03 AM.]</p></FONT>
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

Hey Mike P., that was "Blind" Al Wilson, right?
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

<SMALL>Hey Mike P., that was "Blind" Al Wilson, right?</SMALL>
Yeah, but he wasn't really blind. That was just a stage name.
CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

from the age of 17 to 25 i was a roadie for some known bands
Traffic, the Who, Crazy World of Arthur Brown, Johnny Winter, Holy Modal Rounders, Rhinocerous, Brooklyn Bridge, Blues Magoos, Townes van Zandt and some others
i saw artists, managers, roadies, live their lives like there was no tomorrow, doin' drugs, drinkin', sleepin' where they fell, coppin' VD, dealin' w:the Law, mafia joints, rollin' in $$$, all expenses paid, nice cars and gear - the world at their feet.
many are dead and gone now -
my uncle a fairly known tenor be bopper, could'nt handle it anymore and shot himself
the last time i had anything to do w: that crowd was when i went back to NYC and went to see my buddy, Sean Delaney (the 5th Kiss)
livin' it up at the top of the 666
he said to me" there's a spot for you here -anything you want to do "
i told him i was only in town to buy some guitars to take back to Paris but if he wanted to do somethin' for me, how bout 20,000$ to buy a piece of land in the French countryside
he said "i'll have to see my mawyers"
i said " can it" i left and never saw him again
i read his obituary last year in the Ogden (Utah) newspaper - gone at 54 - heart attack
i'm glad i'm where i am, with my wife and kids and still gettin to blow some notes on the week end w: some good people
those were some far out times all right...

Jim Florence

Post by Jim Florence »

I'm retired from the US Air Force, 72 years old. have played steel most all my life, have played "pick up" with a bunch of the greats, spent a few years at the Dunes of Honolulu [seven nights a week] I still play when I get a chance, but like some have said, I have no regrets. I am in good financial condition, and when I sometimes think "I could have been a contender" I remember what my wife of 48 years used to say The air force pays the rent, the music puts the steak on the table. When I retired from the AF in 1973, I spent a couple of years on the road . Didn't like that lifestyle.
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

I have been playing steel for 18 months now, and I have already made it "Big". Steel looked kinda hard, so I figured I shouldn't waste too much time getting started---at age 48.
I get to set up my steel at our little opry twice a month, and when it's over at 10 P.M., some senior citizen comes up and says I made his week by playing a song he loved, and how nice the steel sounded. And I look over at my 18 year old son who is sharing the front man duties/playing most of the lead and singing, and I know I am paid very well in deed. And I still make it to bed by 11 P.M.
Make it big? By who's definition? I'm having the time of my life playing music with my son, and having a beautiful family to come see us play. Heck I figure I got 20--25 more years to go playing steel. And I have a huge family of forumites to joke with on the way. And guys like Mr. Green and Mr. Franklin and Mr. Emmons, and many others to show us what's possible with this wonderful instrument. What was your question again? HA!!) Image <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by James Morehead on 24 August 2004 at 12:18 PM.]</p></FONT>
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

When I was a kid in school, and just starting to learn guitar ('57) a career in music seemed an unattainable dream. Yet here I am at 61 having kept a roof over my head by playing for a living.

There have been a couple of near-misses; Tom Jones' manager, Gordon Mills, tried to turn our band into a sort-of UK 'Eagles' - he 'bought' us on to the 'Top Of The Pops' TV show a couple of times, and duped some DJs into playing our records. Then there was Neil Innes/Eric Idle and the 'Rutles'/George Harrison period, but we managed to make the wrong moves with that and faded into oblivion.

But I still love to play above all things! More, even, than when I first started. The world of music has been singularly unaffected by my presence, yet I've acquitted myself fairly well over the years.

I took a few illegal tablets when I was a bit younger but, as I always caught a cold a day or so later, I stopped doing that - I only did it so I could drive the van from Scotland to London overnight, anyway. Image

The thought of a 'normal'/predictable job fills me with dread, but the prospect of a few weeks work sitting behind my Emmons (as is the case right now) induces euphoria.

I've no pension, and I'll have to work 'til I drop, but I have few regrets - I've shared a stage with some real 'greats' like Albert Lee, Lonnie Donegan, Joe Cocker and even Buddy Emmons. I'm a pretty solid 'pro', though a long way from even having a shot at greatness.

(...and I'm not done yet!!!)

Roger Rettig
Gerald Ross

Post by Gerald Ross »

The famous Jazz trumpeter Al Hirt used to tell this story...

One day when Al came in off the road, Al's son looked at him and asked his mother "who's the fat guy?".

All choices in life have benefits and consequences.

------------------
Gerald Ross
'Northwest Ann Arbor, Michigan's King Of The Hawaiian Steel Guitar'
Gerald's Fingerstyle Guitar Website

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Gerald Ross on 24 August 2004 at 01:16 PM.]</p></FONT>
Joe Alterio

Post by Joe Alterio »

Mr. Perlowin....so what would your nickname have been? Al Wilson was "Blind Owl", Fito De La Parra was "The Fito", Henry Vestine was "Sunflower", Larry Taylor was "The Mole" and Bob Hite was "The Bear"....

And I swear I didn't just look those up...I'm a big Canned Heat fan! Image

Wasn't Al Wilson legally blind? I thought he wore some pretty thick glasses. He had an odd open tuning he played....I don't know what it was though Image

Don't sweat leaving the band, though, Mike...Fito has written a book and has been quite public about how the band pretty much made every mistake possible, including selling off ALL RIGHTS to ALL SONGS they did...so they don't get a penny from CD sales, Budweiser commercials, etc.

Joe
John Macy

Post by John Macy »

Hey Bob,

What was the name of the band in NJ back in the '70's???
Ray Minich

Post by Ray Minich »

There's a very interesting parallel between what I read here in terms of "career opportunities" and what happens in the sports trade. There's only so many slots available at the top.

It's all what you want to sacrifice and what tradeoffs you wanna make.
Robert Thomas

Post by Robert Thomas »

Making it big!
I looked up big in the dictionary and it defines what I think this thread is referring to: BIG MEANS BEING IMPORTANT OR OUTSTANDING!
Does being big mean we have a desire to appear important or highly talented before others to win their praise or does it become an ego trip to salve our own desires to feel important about ourselves?
Many years ago I had to question my motives and I determined my family, wife and kids, were more important then trying to be something that was just going to fade away with time.
I think I chose the right course. I have 5 wonderful kids, 14 grandkids and 4 great grandkids and one wife of 49 years. I am over 70 now and I do not require drugs to stay alive or any medication for any physical problems. If I had chosen the way of being big, I would probably be in a totally different situation in my life. I get to go to bed every night with the woman who is my soul mate and wake each day with the one I chose to walk through life with. I think I made it big, but then again that is my opinion. I wish that everyone could be as fortunate as I feel that I am. There is far more to life then being top dog in anything. Being big in same ways is like a one night stand with no where to go after the music has stopped.
I hope I came across in an uplifting way. I think sometimes that I may offend others by what I say and feel.
by the way I still play 2 and 3 times a week, but I donate my talent to others who are far less fortunate then us, nursing homes and alzheimer faciclities. Believe me, they could use you too! Try it, you will feel really good about yourself and your talent that was given to you, because you are very special.
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

I guess most of us like to feel as though we made the right choice - life might be unbearable if we didn't.

I really don't believe that I ever wanted to 'look big' or more important than I really am, and I hope that my 'post' reflects the humility I feel. I DID always want to be the best player I could be - but that comes more easily to some than others.

I never had children. Maybe they change one's perspective, but I think I was always too selfish to make those sacrifices.

I love my new wife (my first, by the way, at 61), but if I'm honest, music takes precedence over everything for most of my day. I really couldn't have done anything else for a living, or with my life.

RR
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

Robert Thomas, that's what I'm talking about!! I feel that I'm on the top. It ain't lonely where I am. Image We do nursing homes, too. Those folks really love it!
Robert Thomas

Post by Robert Thomas »

Thanks James!
So much in our lives or the world some would say is striving to see what you can get. I believe that I have found that the more I give, the more I get. There is a law that is real and does work for the benefit of the givers. "As you sow, so shall you reap". The rewards that come from giving without expecting anything in return are phenomenal. That works in any thing we put our hands to, to accomplish. If our goal is satisfaction and happiness, that is a reasonable and worthwhile goal. Recognition and fame is fleeting. Just look at how fast it fades into the past and is lost.
Keep up the good works James.
Bill Llewellyn

Post by Bill Llewellyn »

Our 7 year old daughter thinks I'm the world's best steeler. Image Now that's making it big. (I haven't the heart to tell her I'm just a PSG noodler.) Here she is at 5. Notice the foreground. Image

http://www.rahul.net/thinker/images/jamie_at_psg.jpg

------------------
<font size=1>Bill, steelin' since '99 | Steel page | My music | Steelers' birthdays | Over 50?</font>
Ronald Moore

Post by Ronald Moore »

Why didn't I make it big? Lots of reasons, but the main one is because I wouldn't want it. I have a friend who is a guitar player and spent a large part of his life backing up the biggies. Faron Young, Mel Tillis, Leroy Van Dyke, and 11 years with Jimmy Dickens. That is 11 years of doing basically the same 1 hour show everytime you set up. How in the world do you ever learn anything new or keep from going crazy doing that? He is now in his middle 60's and doesn't have much. He lives in a low income apartment house because that is all he can do. He always told me if he ever could do it over again he would learn a good trade and play on the weekends. I am working with a local band that does a lot of country shuffles and a lot of swing music and we like to work up something different once in a while, like "Stardust" or "After the Lovin". We have a five piece group and everybody in the band is a singer. We have a lot of variety not only in our music, but in our vocals as well. We work regularly in three different clubs where people like to dance to our kind of music, plus we get a lot of other jobs as well. Did I say I never made it big? I think maybe I did after all. Ron
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

Joe, At the time I played with them, (remember they were just a garage band at the time) nobody had nicknames. We just used our names. Al wore glasses, but I don't recall him being legally blind. He did not drive at the time, but eventually did get a driver's lisence.

It was 40 years ago and I don't recall a lot of the details. At the time I was with the band, neither Larry Taylor nor Fito De La Parra had joined them yet. The orignal bass player and drummer were named Stu Brotman and Keith Sawyer. I'm still in touch with Stu. I have no idea what happend to Keith.
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

Kind of in a weird way, this whole thread reminds me of that song Bobby Bare did called "The Winner". Any of you recall the words? I made it "BIG" in a different way, too. I now own two D-10's and one S-10. I have come to realise that if I want to put fresh strings on them all, I now have FIFTY strings to change, and I'm about to turn fifty. HUMMMM, must be my punishment for loving steel. Image
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

I remember sitting with Jeff Newman and a few other of his students back in the early 80's. We were having lunch during a break in the steel school day, and talking about "making it big" as a steel guitarist. He looked at us and flat out said that he thought none of us would ever "make it big" because, quite simply, we would never agree to pay the price and make the sacrifices that would be required to do that. I must confess that at the time, my feathers were a little bit ruffled by that remark, but I must also say that even then I knew that he was dead-on right. So now I content myself with being a relatively little fish in a relatively little pond. And making the best music I can, and trying to get better all the time.