Why didn't you [and I] make it big???

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bob Carlucci

Why didn't you [and I] make it big???

Post by Bob Carlucci »

I was a pretty good steel player quite quickly. Within 1 year of buying my first Maverick at the age of 22,I was playing professionally. Clubs of course,but I did it 5-6 nights a week. Within 2 years I was in one of NJ's most popular bands.We were at a very high pay level for the late 70's. $1000-1200 a night on weekends and 900 to 1000 on weeknights. I figured it would be a few short years and I'd be living the fat life as a rock star lead guitar/steel guitar wizard. Fast forward to 04.I'm 50, killing myself for 30 k a year working as a mechanic and playing whatever redneck bar gigs,picnics,fairs,weddings,etc I can dig up. Most of the "music lovers" here are drunks.... I wonder what happened to that "wiz kid" who could take all the hot solos from buddy Cage,Rusty Young,Tom Brumley etc,and play them note for note after only a few months???I often wonder about that.Guys that were below my playing level or at about the same level have made it big. A few of them REAL big!.. Did I not "want it enough?. Did I hurt myself by always taking cover gigs instead of starving with an original act? Was it because the boys[4 sons at 3-4 years apart]started showing up in 77 and needed a dad more than I needed to be a big time musician? What was it that made a 23 year old that was considered a "hot" player in the NJ/NYC area in the 70's-80's into a guy playing whatever filth holes in NY state that will pay the going rate?.. I have lost the edge I had 20 years ago and its not coming back I guess. I dunno how I got here,but it just seemed to have worked out this way.How about you? any regrets? Missed opportunities? Are you off your game compared to years ago? I don't think I'm the only one hear wallowing in self pity! am I Image bob
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

I don't know what you're talking about. I've made it real big. All the way up to 280 pounds and a 50 inch waistline.

I'm trying real hard to make it smaller.
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

Mike.. Yeah,, I can relate ....
Damir Besic

Post by Damir Besic »

yeah,I made it to the point where I`m so big I can`t even see my lever anymore... Image

Db
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Bob, it sounds like you pretty much answered your own questions! Most who "make it big" have a combination of luck, skill, and desire. Take any one out of those out of the equation, and your chances of success go down somewhat. Take two out, and you're...well, right where we're both at right now.

Instead of looking at what you didn't accomplish, spend some time looking at what you <u>did</u> accomplish. Being a "star" isn't usually what it cracked up to be. It requires sacrifice, the kind guys like you and I weren't willing, at the time, to make. Don't feel badly about where you are now. You have a nice family, decent health (I presume), a good steady job, and a rewarding (if sometimes frustrating) hobby. There's thousands of people out there right now who might say that you <u>do</u> "have it all".

Me included.
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

Very, very few people make it "big", compared to the total number of people vieing for bigness.

I suppose it's a matter of percentages that perhaps play a larger part in the equation.
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

Donny.. thanks my friend.. that was a real fine response.All truth too. I might sound like I'm "bumming out" but I'm not really. I can still play the stupid thing pretty well,but I haven't been able to hone it back to the level I was at years ago[due to lack of playing time I suppose},andI get a bit frustrated. The REAL problem is there are so FEW gigs for pedal steel guitar in my area. If I wasn't a 6 string lead player/singer also,I'd NEVER play for pay around here. Like another steel player/ guitarist in my area [he's REAL good at both]I either play rock gigs on my electric guitar or I don't play at all. Years ago I was the "pedal steel player".. today I'm the guitar guy... It's a little frustrating because that steel is ringing in my head and I have no place[except my living room]to play it these days. Oh well... maybe next week/ or month/ or year. I'll be the steel guitarist in a good band again sometime between now and my drop dead day! I hope Image bob
Jim Phelps

Post by Jim Phelps »

.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Jim Phelps on 23 August 2004 at 08:53 PM.]</p></FONT>
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

All kidding aside, during the 60's I played in a band that, after I left them, became HUGE. I'm talking multiple #1 hit records and megabucks. The name of the band was Canned Heat. Many of you probably know all about them. I not only played with the band, one of the members, a fellow named Al Wilson, was my roomate.

Needless to say I was quite unhappy that I had left the band, and wished that I had stayed with them. I was also quite jealous of their success.

Then Al died of a drug overdose at the age of 27.

Then another member who was also a friend, Bob Hite, also died of a drug overdose.

Then Henry Vestine, who replaced me, also died after having a heart attack. Recently I was told that the fellow who replaced Bob died. I don't know of this is true or not.

I don't envy the guys anymore, nor do I still wish I had stayed with them. Maybe I would have survived anyway if I had, but we'll never know.

I think the rock and roll lifestyle killed my friends, In retrospect, I'm glad I was not part of it.
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Mike Perlowin on 23 August 2004 at 07:18 PM.]</p></FONT>
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

Donny was right when he said that making it big isn't what its cranked up to be. Very, very few have made it big, and even then it doesn't last long. Marc Anthony said "all glory is temporary". There is no steady money or decent life in it. The music business has destroyed alot of pros personally. Count your blessings.
Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

Hey Mike:I die on stage every night.
Jim Phelps

Post by Jim Phelps »

.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Jim Phelps on 17 November 2004 at 09:27 PM.]</p></FONT>
Ken Lang

Post by Ken Lang »

I would say that making it "big" first requires talent. I think we all know that, and there is talent in abundance here on the Forum.

More than that, it takes a a commitment that only a few can muster. Whatever the endevor, it's a 24/7 effort with blinders on that keep one away from anything that might interfere with that one goal.

The big E doing rolls in his hotel room night after night.

Segovia playing his guitar 8 hours a day. Every day of every week.

Golfer VJ Singh hitting balls, one a minute for 6 hours a day-every day, save tournament play.

The list could go on.

Then, if you are in the right place at the right time.........maybe.....
Eric West

Post by Eric West »

Yup, What Ken said, except that for Andres it was more like 12 or 16 hrs daily and YEARS of it. Bud Charleton practicing a lot of the same songs and rolls 40 hours a week for twenty five years while giving lessons. Ravi Shankar being chained to a tree... etc etc.

Working a day job and staying anywhere near playing well for weekend gigs is possibly as demanding as anything.

Success and Failure are both states of mind, and seldom very far away.

Like I said, Whose terms it is on is a major factor.

At least to me.

Some people, as the I Ching says, are never satisfied with where they are as an enduring condition..

What if "making it small" is better?

I'll bet a few that "made it big" think so.

Who knows..

A lot of it is how well you understand your personal muse.

EJL

PS

Do I Have a "I coulda been a contender.." story?

Sure, but I'll never post it here...

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Eric West on 23 August 2004 at 08:46 PM.]</p></FONT>
Tom Olson

Post by Tom Olson »

<SMALL>I`m so big I can`t even see my lever anymore... </SMALL>
Well, DB, I say as long as you can still reach it, you'll be OK -- Image<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Tom Olson on 23 August 2004 at 10:40 PM.]</p></FONT>
Bobby Lee
Site Admin

Post by Bobby Lee »

The are only a handful of "big" (as in rich and famous) musicians. It really doesn't happen the way the media hypes it. Play the music that makes you happy, and let it be its own reward.
David L. Donald

Post by David L. Donald »

in 1980 I had a pop rock / new wave band in serious negociations with Warners. We had 6 sets of originals, tight,
12 sets of covers for all occasions, an album out, and another mostly in the can. And we were gigging undercard for some good acts.

We were right on the money and right for the times after 5 years of me and a friend doing it with various others cycling through.

Then Mike, the singer songwriter, had a heart attack at 27, and was gone in 15 minutes. No Drugs. Bad ticker, hereditary, excerbated by an earlier bout with hepatitus.

It started after a practice he called on a 90 degree hot day. Rock n roll lifestyle?
Naw, he died from too strong a work ethic, he said we needed another tune up before a gig.

Happened right in front of his 22 year old wife of 6 months..
who then burned all his songs,
before she thought better of it.
She shortly became a Jehovahs Witness.

He wrote so prolifically, I had let my songwriting slide,
but after 5 years it was happening...
and the ALL disappeared in and instant.

Our album cover became a Dire Straights album cover, and I was told Warners had high hopes for us, they were just waiting on the lawyers to do their thing.

Needless to say rebounding from this was not very fast.
And the moment was lost... as well as a long time friend.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by David L. Donald on 24 August 2004 at 12:06 AM.]</p></FONT>
Dave Boothroyd

Post by Dave Boothroyd »

I've watched people who have made it big in a number of fields, and it seems to me that the common factors are the same whether it's music or motorcycle racing.
First and foremost you need to be a driven, obsessive character. Nothing can come between you and your dream.
But that is not enough. Nearly all the people who make it have that, but also they are often second generation. They have someone close to them who did not quite make it, but knows how. Take Paul McCartney for example, or Michael Jackson (!)That keeps them going when their own motivation fails.
Then they need to have enough talent to be worth working on, but not enough that they feel they don't need to try.
I do not regret for a moment that I am not one of those! When I pick up my grandsons, I think I made it big enough for me to be happy!

------------------
Cheers!
Dave

Robert Porri

Post by Robert Porri »

Thanks for this thread Bob. Although, this is related to guitar and not steel for me because I'm a new PSG player. Sometimes you feel alone when you know you aren't really. Several friends and bandmates of mine have done very well, and while you feel proud and happy for them, there's also a feeling of "left behind" or something. A feeling of unfulfillment because of a potential you saw and felt. But like so many have said, then you look at your kids and family and the relative "normalcy" we have that some people give up and the how it happened sinks in a little bit. But there is always that little voice coming in now and then with the what if this or that happened differently.

I think it is also partly a being 50 thing too. I'm 49.

Bob P.
Chris Forbes

Post by Chris Forbes »

Even if I had the talent to be a top tier musician (which I don't) I'm still waaaaaaay too lazy and complacent to ever "make it." I recently worked for a singer who kept on saying "I'm gonna make it big and we're gonna hit the road." I kept saying, "if you're ever gonna make it big, YOU'RE gonna hit the road, not me." Man, I did the road in my younger days, that's too much like work for me, so I guess I'm lacking maaaaaany of the qualities that the astute Mr. Hinson listed above.
Smiley Roberts

Post by Smiley Roberts »

I never made it "big". I'd say I made it "medium". "T.O" (Tommy Overstreet) never was a "household name" like the Possum,Hag,or Strait,but we DID open for many "big" acts,e.g. Merle Haggard (2 tours),Mel Tillis,Oak Ridge Boys,Roy Clark,(also backed him for almost a year.),Marty Robbins,etc.,etc. I guess,in retrospect,even though I didn't work for a "heavy",there were other rewards. At the time,I loved the travel. I've been to 48 of the 50 states,just about all the Canadian provinces,Mexico,2 Carribean cruises,& at least 15 trips to Europe.(Germany,Spain,England,Belgium,Holland,Sweden,etc,etc. All of this didn't cost me a dime,& I got paid,to boot. We also did some GREAT TV shows,e.g. NBC's "Midnight Special"(2X),"ABC In Concert" w/ Hank Jr. & Tammy,"The Merv Griffin Show" from Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas,(he was a jerk!!)Fortunately,I got into photography early enough in my "career",& have about 1200 to 1500 color slides that I can reflect back on,& say,"WOW,wasn't that fun!" I left Massachusetts in '65,when I was 27. Spent 3 yrs in Wheeling,W.V.,& in '68,moved to Nashville,& have been here since. If I had it to do over again,I'd have done the same thing,only SOONER!! I'm happy now,to be workin' a couple o' nights a week w/ a "star",(I HATE that word!!) Bobby Randall,formerly w/ "Sawyer Brown",& TNN's "You Can Be A Star".(there's that DAMN word again!) FWIW,no tears,no regrets. Image Image
Almost forgot. I,also,worked 6 yrs at "Opryland Park". Two of those yrs. w. Brenda Lee,backed by a 16 pc. orchestra,WOW!!
She's a SWEETHEART,& a real trouper!!
------------------
<font face="monospace" size="3"><pre> ~ ~
©¿© It don't mean a thang,
mm if it ain't got that twang.
www.ntsga.com</pre></font>

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Smiley Roberts on 24 August 2004 at 03:41 AM.]</p></FONT>
Gene Jones

Post by Gene Jones »

*<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Gene Jones on 24 January 2005 at 04:19 PM.]</p></FONT>
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

generally "BIG" applies to an artist who sings a National top tune..or a BAND that scores a top tune.

very rarely does BIG ever apply to an artist who is backing up the vocalist..even though the vocalist is on the radio and TV.

Lets look at POCO and the New Riders as mentioned above. two of my favorite bands from that era..sort of famous , both became well know..but I wouldn't say HUGE. Neither had what could be considered a national radio tune... Take the Eagles..from the same era, Emmylou from the same era..HUGE..Ask Richie Furay if POCO was huge...his total frustration over POCO not making it to the BIG Stage caused him to leave the band.

Tom Brumly, wonderful player, we have all gained some influence from Tom thru the years..But I somehow suspect that the fan following was for Buck...not that Tom didn't ddeserve it..

I think BIG has to be put into perspective.

Playing hot licks and learning them fast..every town has kids that did that and still do..playing in a great local band is a thrill and exciting..but it's not the ticket to the Big Stage.

A Song, Artist (or band) and performance is the ticket.And sometimes the artist is not part of the equation as we all know.

I was invited to tour New England way back then on my Sho-Bud Pro III with a touring Country B Band show..3 or 4 months to start.I wasn't a great flash player..( still not ) I was a good player..I learned songs very fast and played them consistently..thats what they wanted..It was $400 a week plus expenses.

I guess I cam to realize that $400/week plus expenses wasn't quite the definition of BIG..so I didn't do it.

About 3 weeks into this 3 to 4 month tour..it ended..the local players that were picked up had to buy there own Bus Ticket home.

A local Ct. keyboard player back then, Jerry Aiello, a sort of friend ,he made it big..got picked up by Stephen Stills and Manassas..2 months later he was dead in a hotel room .Drug overdose..Now thats BIG...

I think BIG has a different meaning to many folks..and it has nothing to do with how great we play..

t

Craig A Davidson

Post by Craig A Davidson »

Smiley, Tommy Overstreet was a household word at our house. Especially when he did Don't Go City Girl On Me. Also, working with Bobby does he ever play steel with you?
David Mason

Post by David Mason »

I think the burning, obsessive desire to be a star is actually more important than musical talent, especially in these days of pitch-fixing and lip-synching. Can you say "Kid Rock?" "Britney Spears?" I have known, and played with, three musicians in my life whom I consider to have world-class talent. One of them now owns a recording studio in Minneapolis, one is a professor at Berklee in Boston and the other teaches piano and raises her children. They all did the road thing long enough to realize that they didn't want to choose the sacrifice of normality that is needed to be a big star.