Age range of Steelers

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bart Maloney

Age range of Steelers

Post by Bart Maloney »

Hello everyone. I am a new member and wanted to stick my head in and say hello. I have been coming to the site for months now, but just decided to join. I am a 21 year old Dobro player that has been wanting to start playing steel for a couple of years now. I wanted to ask everyone what they thought the breakdown of the age of people playing steel guitar was. Just curious what the stats are. or good guesses. I have been curious of this for a while now. Well if anyone knows or even wants to make something up and trick me, let me know. Just kidding.
Herman Visser

Post by Herman Visser »

If your 21 I say old. Im 58 and just starting up again after 40yrs. have alots of time on my hands now. NO kids to around.Started a few months ago
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

Welcome to the forum!! Seems a few young pickers, more middle age, and a lot of seniors. I'm pre-senior. You sure are in a fine area for experienced steelers, on this forum and in Austin!! Image
Ed Naylor

Post by Ed Naylor »

A few years back I did a little study with the info I had available, and I beleive the average Steel player was over 50.Probably 80-90 percent of players calling me are over 60.Ed Naylor Steel Guitar Works.
Reggie Duncan

Post by Reggie Duncan »

I am 44 and younger than most.
C Dixon

Post by C Dixon »

Older than dirt and that was before Noah!
Tim Whitlock

Post by Tim Whitlock »

49 here and been playing steel for 11 years. I envy you starting at 21 and in such a great steel guitar friendly town as Austin. You are definitely in the right place at the right time. Best of luck!
Bart Maloney

Post by Bart Maloney »

thank yall for the replies so far. It seems I am kind of an oddball for wanting to play it at this age huh? People my age these days just want to see how much distortion they can get out of there Les Paul and full Marshall Stack and scream as much as they can and call it singing. It is terrible. I actually read an ad here in Austin, in the musicians classifieds that was looking for a guitar player. One of the requirements was you had to have a stack. RIDICULOUS if you ask me. I am really glad that i found a site with really nice people that like good music. I couldnt tell you why the world hasnt fallen in love with this beautiful instrument, maybe the world is crazy. Everyone but us. Image
John Parker

Post by John Parker »

I'm 48 and started (and still learning) at age 44. I wish I would of started 30 years earlier. But I'm having lots of fun with it.

------------------
John Parker
Zumsteel SD10 3x5
Peavey Session 400
pdl20

Post by pdl20 »

62 and looking forward to a long time of picken

------------------
Rudy
Ron Page

Post by Ron Page »

Average age would be tough to establish, but I'm nearly 48 and Scotty's International Steel Guitar Convention is one of the few places I still feel young. Image

I think most of the great players started young, but here again 21 is young. The fact that you already have dobro and musicianship in general under your belt should be a great benefit.

------------------
HagFan

Bill C. Buntin

Post by Bill C. Buntin »

I'm 43. Started when I was 32. Still learning. Good luck. Have fun in Austin.
David Spires

Post by David Spires »

I hate to say it, but at 33 years old - I am often still the youngest steel player at a club meeting / convention, etc.

However, I don't know that there are really less "younger" players today than 10-20 years ago.

Just an observation,

David Spires
David Doggett
Location: Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)

Post by David Doggett »

Welcome to the steel guitar, Bart. Many of us started off as Dobro players. The average age of steel players is probably over 50. But that doesn't mean it is a fading craft. If a constant number of steelers started around age 20, and typically died in their 80s, the average age would be 50. Maybe today steelers are a smaller proportion of musicians, but the population is bigger, so maybe the number of steelers is about the same as ever.
Dwayne Martineau

Post by Dwayne Martineau »

29...and should've started earlier.
Ben Slaughter

Post by Ben Slaughter »

26 and trying to soak up as much information from the experience floating around this wonderful Forum as possible.

------------------
Ben
Zum D10, NV400, POD, G&L Guitars, etc, etc.
Burton Lee

Post by Burton Lee »

I'm also 26, and finishing up year one of playing.

A funny thing is happening around where I live. The guys my age have suddenly rediscovered classic country and it's appearing in various ways across the local music scene. Pedal steel isn't exactly popping up all over due to the price tag, but everyone knows what it is and are very excited that I play it.

I think we might be part of a new generation of steelers after some bleak years. See you in Nashville one day ;-).

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Burton Lee on 23 June 2004 at 09:59 AM.]</p></FONT>
Hook Moore

Post by Hook Moore »

46 and started at around 20.
Hook

------------------
HookMoore.com
Ryan Giese

Post by Ryan Giese »

I'm 15. I'm enjoying steel guitar very much. Learning to play is a very hard but you have to stick with it and practice every day.
Steinar Gregertsen

Post by Steinar Gregertsen »

Started playing standard guitar at 13, but didn't pick up lap steel before I was 41. Today I'm 45, and don't play standard guitar unless I have to....

Steinar

------------------
www.gregertsen.com

Dave Van Allen

Post by Dave Van Allen »

I'm 50; started playing when I was 17, and thought I started "late" at the time.

Just do it!
John Daugherty

Post by John Daugherty »

When I was born, the Dead Sea wasn't even sick.
I started playing before electricity. I learned on a kerosene guitar.
My father learned on a woodburner (along with Scotty).
This has been your introduction to "Steelpickers Witt 101". You will probably end up this way if you keep studying. WELCOME to the club.
Frank Estes

Post by Frank Estes »

41 started when I was 17.

------------------
Frank Estes - 1978 Emmons D-10 8+7 #2441D

Bill Bosler

Post by Bill Bosler »

Welcome aboard, Bart - I'm 61 and been playing steel since about 1974 or thereabouts. I've been playing guitar, bass and whatever else I could learn three chords on since I was about 12.
John Wall

Post by John Wall »

I'm 49; started steel when I was 19. Played 6 string 7 years prior to that.