new Jeremy Wakefield CD

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Eric Stumpf

new Jeremy Wakefield CD

Post by Eric Stumpf »

Does anybody know if JW's latest CD is out yet?
Kerry Wood

Post by Kerry Wood »

Hi Eric, the CD ain't out yet according to Deke Dickerson at his show last week. It's gonna be on Ecco-Fonic records - I'm pretty sure, so as soon as it's availiable, it will be advertised on his website www.dekedickerson.com . I think he said sometime in March?

Kerry
chas smith

Post by chas smith »

At the Guitar Geek Festival, last week in Anaheim, he and TK Smith did a set where he was featured. Opened with Oklahoma Stomp and took off from there. He was playing a 1949 Bigsby T-8 non-pedal into a Bigsby volume into a Standel tube amp. It was wonderful.
Mark Switzer

Post by Mark Switzer »

I heard that set as well and it was blazin`.If you haven`t seen the DVD from last year`s show it`s also well worth getting.
Kerry Wood

Post by Kerry Wood »

Hey Chas - I heard JW call out to you when he was joking about Steel Guitar Rag. Were you the fellow reclining on the floor right by the merchandise stand? I almost went over to ask and say "hello" one forum member to another, but I'm real shy and I wasn't sure who you were, and I didn't want to lose my front-row and center seat. If anybody out there cares, I stole Mr. Wakefields hand written setlist off the stage when his set was over, and he was kind enough to sign it for me later. Here's the songlist:

Oklahoma Stomp
Sweet Georgia Brown
The Red Garter
Steel Guitar Jive
Swedish Pastry
Taking Off
(Topsy, Midnight Ramble, China Boy and Ornithology were scratched out)
Steel Guitar Rag
This Is Southland
Night Rider
Honeysuckle Rose

Kerry
Jim Jasutis

Post by Jim Jasutis »

Mark, do you have a souce for the DvD???
chas smith

Post by chas smith »

Kerry, you mean the old guy with the pony tail, front left? Yup, that was yours truly. Don't be shy, I'm sure that I'm more uncomfortable around people than you are. Tucson, I played at the Congress Hotel about 14 years ago with Dee Lannon, loved it there.
Paul Arntson

Post by Paul Arntson »

Jim - go to Deke Dickerson's site and click on Merchandise. (You have to allow pop-ups for it to appear).
http://www.dekedickerson.com./
Jussi Huhtakangas

Post by Jussi Huhtakangas »

There's also a DVD titled West Coast Ramble vol 2 which features The Bonebrake Syncopators, a band that JW also playes with. Sorta like Joaquin Murphy meets Red Norvo Trio. They're live tracks ( Sweet Georgia Brown and Dark Eyes ), looks like they're shot at the Doll Hut but I'm not sure. Deke is also on the same DVD.
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

I just got Deke's DVD today and it truly is a twang/surf/rockabilly/steel/Maphis/Travis guitar geek's paradise. It's essentailly shot in full gain with only available light and sub-standard audio. That's kind of beside the point 'cause the content overrides technical considerations. Most everyone plays with an over-the-top abandon and if there are occasional clams, they're all part of the aw shucks, guitar geek fellowship of the pick. For steel fans, you really get to see Jeremey Wakefield stretch out on his Bigsby. He conjures the spirit of Speedy West in his swinging set with TK Smith. I noticed that he anchors his back two fingers quite often - like Jerry Douglas. JW employs quite a wide variety of vibratos, grace note slides and flourishes and at times, matches Speedy wild lick for lick. Must have been a fun night.
Jussi Huhtakangas

Post by Jussi Huhtakangas »

Great to hear that Andy, gotta get that DVD from Deke in GreenBay next April.
Steve Merritt

Post by Steve Merritt »

I just got "Dekes Guitar Geek Festival" DVD today. This is a must have for anyone who digs the "retro" stuff. JW and TK do an amazing job of banging out a handful of Speedy and Jimmy tunes. They also do a great job on "Sweedish Pastry", pretty much the note for note arrangment that Jimmie Rivers and Vance Terry do on the Brisbane Bop CD. The audio is not great, it's the same as if you were in the room. Again, totally worth $15.00!
Kerry Wood

Post by Kerry Wood »

Just wanted to let you Jeremy Wakefield fans know that "The Lucky Stars", JW's western swing band is supposed to be playing tonight out in L.A. on KXLU - 88.9 FM from 8:30 - 10:00 (pm west coast). I think you might be able to catch it no matter where you live through the magic of the internet on the KXLU website http://www.kxlu.com/main/index.asp

Hopefully they'll toss in a couple of steel instumentals during their set?

Kerry
Mark Switzer

Post by Mark Switzer »

Sorry to Jim if he`s reading this, I somehow missed seeing this thread. Anyway, I Just got my copy of Jeremy`s CD today at Amoeba in Hollywood and I`ll be listening as soon as I get off this computer.