If You Were To Record A Gospel Song.????

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Ed Naylor

If You Were To Record A Gospel Song.????

Post by Ed Naylor »

Going thru some old tapes last night, I Played several Gospel songs that I had worked on with different groups over the years. I asked myself "If I were to cut a tape,what songs would I play'? I believe I would do songs that have never been done. Like "Where the roses never fade"- Will there be any stars in my crown- etc. Any ideas? Ed Naylor Steel Guitar Works.
Reggie Duncan

Post by Reggie Duncan »

My band does, "Where The Roses Never Fade" and I do a long interlude in the middle. Would be a great solo! I plan on doing "Beyond the Sunset" and "Love is Why" one day.
Jerry Roller

Post by Jerry Roller »

"There's Something About That Name".
"Beulah Land"
Jerry
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

"On Higher Ground"
Reggie Duncan

Post by Reggie Duncan »

Jerry, both of those songs are on my Dad's cd! Great instrumentals! http://myweb.ecomplanet.com/DUNC3051/mycustompage0010.htm
Gene Jones

Post by Gene Jones »

....and one of the newer songs that would be absolutely beautiful on the steel guitar especially when played with the harmony as written, is: "Thomas Song". If I ever do record a gospel album it will be on it.
www.genejones.com
Johnny Harris

Post by Johnny Harris »

"Must Jesus Bear the Cross Alone"
"Victory in Jesus"
"Because He Lives"
Andy Greatrix

Post by Andy Greatrix »

Whispering hope.
Bill Simmons

Post by Bill Simmons »

Shout to the Lord is a powerful newer song that fits the steel wonderfully ... Holy Holy (older hymn that is beautiful for the steel also)
Lloyd Karenke

Post by Lloyd Karenke »

"I want people to see Jesus in me"...just heard on the radio. Don't know if its a new or old song but has a nice country feel to it.
Lloyd
P.S...wish I could get a copy of it somehow.
BDBassett

Post by BDBassett »

I've been planning to do a steel rendition of Curtis Mayfield's 'People Get Ready' with some very deep vocal oooooo's and ahhhh's in the background. Also thought that the old ballad 'The River Is Wide' would make a good steel solo. (Same type of vocal work)<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by BDBassett on 26 January 2004 at 11:23 AM.]</p></FONT>
Larry King

Post by Larry King »

Although I'm not a steel player, I'm going to talk Roller into "us" doing "It is Well with my Soul" in a slow shuffle tempo( about the speed of "Don't you ever get tired of hurting me")....I've thought this through and am convinced it would be a killer version.
Savell

Post by Savell »

Just As the Sun Went Down
Whisper Jesus (set tempo to 110)
Eagles Wings
I Sing Praises To His Name
I Want My Life To Be Pleasing To Him
--------------------------

And that's just for starters...
Charles French

Post by Charles French »

We did record one.I mean a few.

Beautiful Tomorrow & Consider Me by Mahalia Jackson.
Do You Know Him
Something About King Jesus
God is Not Through With Me Yet
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/7/chickfrenchmusic.htm

cf
Bill R. Baker

Post by Bill R. Baker »

Near To The Heart Of God
Jesus Is The Sweetest Name I Know
Walter Stettner

Post by Walter Stettner »

I don't know if Ron Elliott wrote it as a Gospel song, but "Lucinda's Prayer" has one of the most beautiful melodies I have ever heard.

Regards, Walter
www.austriansteelguitar.at.tf

------------------
Walter Hamlin

Post by Walter Hamlin »

"Ten Thousand Years", "In The Garden", "Jesus Is The Sweetest Name I Know".
There are numerous beautiful well written songs that could be used. I just thought of three that I like.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Although it's pretty simple, "Just A Closer Walk With Thee" is special to me because It was my Dad's favorite hymn. "In The Garden" seems to be a favorite of a lot of steel players, too.
Jimmy Dale

Post by Jimmy Dale »

If I were to record a gospel song and I felt that I could do it justice, the song would be "Where No One Stands Alone". What a song! Jimmy, I'D RATHER BE STEELIN'
Jerry Roller

Post by Jerry Roller »

Mr. Larry King, you just come on down to "The Little O' Opry" and we will do "It is Well With My Soul" at your desired tempo.
If you can make it to the NEOSGA Jam early enough Febuary 7th to play my set with me starting at 5:00 we can do it there also. Sounds like a great idea to me. A beautiful song.
Jerry
Ed Naylor

Post by Ed Naylor »

Most of the responses have been toward songs with a lot of "FEEL" whitch is pretty much my opinion. There are other styles that have never been recorded and could reach a whole new audience. I can't recall seeing a STEEL on one of the MAJOR TV Gospel programs in a long time. Still I think Gospel would sell more to a local market, but it would sell. ED
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Ed,
It maybe isn't the most popular gospel song but the one I like to play the most, and to my ears anyway, the one that really works out great on the pedal steel is "Down From His Glory". It really falls in place nicely.
Make a joyful noise unto the Lord on an instrument of 10 strings! Image Image
Erv
Jerry Roller

Post by Jerry Roller »

One of the prettiest songs and well done is The Reverand Wayne Smith's great playing of "Majesty". It is a beautiful song and Wayne does it very well!!! I bet he will do it at the Indianapolis Steel Show this year.
Jerry
Roy Ayres

Post by Roy Ayres »

I'm scheduled to cut a steel guitar album in March, to be released in early April, 2004, and the last song on the CD will be "The Lord's Prayer". I use the chord progression from the original sheet music by the writer of the melody, Albert Hay Malotte. (I suppose you know who wrote those beautiful words.) In case any of you are interested in adding it to your repertoire, I plan also to release a CD of the rhythm tracks only.
Richard Gonzales

Post by Richard Gonzales »

Roy, I happened to like "THE LORDS PRAYER" also and end up playing it every time I sit down. I also like "AVA MARIA" very much. These type of songs just seem so easy to play with feeling!<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Richard Gonzales on 27 January 2004 at 08:54 AM.]</p></FONT><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Richard Gonzales on 27 January 2004 at 08:55 AM.]</p></FONT>