Beginers Age

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Ole Dantoft

Post by Ole Dantoft »

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Ole Dantoft on 26 February 2004 at 10:51 AM.]</p></FONT>
Jim Walker

Post by Jim Walker »

I first laid my fingers on a Pedal Steel at age 5, I got my hand slapped and didn't touch one again till I was 32. I took up lessons and made buddies with a lot of great guys here on the forum, traded my way up to a purchase of the most beautiful brand new Sierra U12 you ever saw then got fustrated and sold out. Man am I sorry. I'm not even a wanabe, I'm a use-ta-was.

------------------
97' American-Fender-Tele-Bender-Blaster-Caster
Line 6 Amps

David L. Donald

Post by David L. Donald »

I started playing dobro around age 14 in 1970.
I have had a lapsteel since the early 90's, I have always experimented with tunings over the years.
I finally knew I needed more strings for C6, so I looked around and got my Sho-Bud D-10 last March/April.

So I had some idea about tunings and picking etc.
As to progress, I have been playing out a bit and recording things I find people like.
I see where I still want to progress, but it doesn't seem like a brick wall anymore.

Others around here, hear a given piece and say they like that, wow what a cool sound etc.
I have added changes I really wanted, become a passable steel mechanic to fullfill my needs most of the time. (still big thanks to Ricky Davis)
I have passed though several learning / technique plateaus and keep on going.

At 9 months with 8+8 I am well satisfied with my progress on "RoseBud".
Lawrence Sullivan

Post by Lawrence Sullivan »

Many thanks to all of you that took the time to reply and relate your story.
Jim W, I hope you make it back to being a wannabe player again, it took me till I was 63 yrs old, 35 yrs and nearly 3 million miles in an 18 wheeler, before desire and opportunity crossed paths, so maybe thngs will come together for you again
Many thanks again and Merry Christmas to all
Respectfully Larry
Paddy Long

Post by Paddy Long »

I started on steel when I was 28, already played guitar so that helped, I'm now 54 and have travelled all over the world playing steel -- what a great life !!!

Much much more to learn yet !
Paddy Long

Post by Paddy Long »

I started when I was 28, after playing guitar since 14. Have managed to play steel all over the world, and still learning heaps.