Patty Loveless' new CD

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Richard Sinkler

Patty Loveless' new CD

Post by Richard Sinkler »

I picked up her newest CD today and was very surprised. It features Russ Pahl and get ready for this, Al Perkins on steel. It's so nice to see Al's name in print again and to hear his great playing once more. Of course, Russ Pahl is no slouch either. Fine playing from both. Good job guys.
Pat Burns

Post by Pat Burns »

...I don't buy many CD's, but that one's at the top of the list...I've always been a big Al Perkins fan, and I love Patty Loveless, contradictory as that may sound...
Larry Bell

Post by Larry Bell »

Perkins has been on a bunch of stuff lately Just look
IMPRESSIVE DISCOGRAPHY -- I particularly like his work with Jim Lauderdale

I always loved his ZB tone. I understand he's playing a ZumSteel these days. Masterful player.

------------------
<small>Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2003 Fessenden S/D-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S-12 6x6, 1971 Dobro, Standel and Peavey Amps
Jim Palenscar

Post by Jim Palenscar »

Al does have 2 Anapegs
Pat Burns

Post by Pat Burns »

..can that be right, that he's 70 years old now?.. Image

...impressive discography indeed..
Larry Bell

Post by Larry Bell »

From his discography, you'd think he'd have to be 70. Image

Must be a misprint. I'd say mid-late 50's. His biography on his website says he was in college in the 60's. So was I (in '67) and I'm 53.

------------------
<small>Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2003 Fessenden S/D-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S-12 6x6, 1971 Dobro, Standel and Peavey Amps
Bob Ruggeri

Post by Bob Ruggeri »

Saw Patty Loveless in D.C. a few weeks ago at the Birchmere. First time I was there the new location; disappointed that it's so much biger and less intimate than the old Birchemere.

Patty was terrific and had a great band. Fiddle/dobro, guitars, keyboards, leads, and what might have been a good steel player. He was buried in the mix all night and I was bummed out that I couldn't hear him. I had a few choice words with the "sound man" afterwards and he told me "You must be a steel player. It was set where it should be."

B.S. I happen to be a real fan of her radio hits and know all the breaks. The steel player took all the solos wher you expected them, but you could never hear him.

I'm always amazed that three sound guys lounging around in front of what looks like a 767 flght deck are so lame they can't hear that someone on stage is inaudible.

na bisince the
Ron Page

Post by Ron Page »

I'll have to check the samples on this one. I've always liked Patty's music. I think the last one I bought was "Long Stretch of Lonesome", which wasn't as good as her earlier stuff. Is this new one distinct or does country radio play it? Image

I don't listen to country radio anymore. Let me know if ever I'm missing anything.

Bob: I lived in Niskayuna back in the mid-80's. I hope steel is going well in the area; don't see many forumites from that neck of the woods.

------------------
HagFan

Jeff A. Smith

Post by Jeff A. Smith »

I have, or at least am familiar with, all of Patty's stuff. I bought the new CD about a week ago and have listened to it just a couple of times.

I think musically this may be one of her most interesting efforts in quite awhile. It's definitly more "traditional" than anything she's done except "Mountain Soul," and this one holds up very well next to that.

The only other female singer of today that hits me in a similar way is Rhonda Vincent. <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Jeff A. Smith on 02 October 2003 at 09:27 PM.]</p></FONT>