Steel in Portland Ore.

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Randy Pokeda

Steel in Portland Ore.

Post by Randy Pokeda »

Is there any body playing Pedal Steel in the Portland area on Wed. March 19. Does Jubitz still have country bands? Thanks for any info.
Randy.
Eric West

Post by Eric West »

Pete Burak, a FINE local player is at the Spare Room on Wed. It's on 42nd Ave NE just north of Killingsworth. You go out Columbia, go south on 42nd til you get to the Spare room on your left. Nice little club. No cover. 8 til ?

There are still bands playing at Jubitz, Jason Snell will be playing there there Wed. I have been playing with them on their Fri-Sat gigs, but they're a 4 piece on the "off nites". I'm playing there starting on 30 mar-3 apr with Monty Moss and his band, and Jason on 11-12apr.

Shoot me an email if you need better directions to the Spare room. I think some other players are going again this week. Pete's really worth catching. The band is great too.

You'll recognize me. I'll be sitting by the Nanny Goat with the cute southern drawl.

EJL<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Eric West on 18 March 2003 at 09:13 PM.]</p></FONT>
Ray Montee

Post by Ray Montee »

It's possible that the Spare Room is located
"SOUTH" of N.E. Killingsworth and just "NORTH" of N.E. Prescott St. But then again, I could be wrong, I guess.

There is also a great band "RENEGADE" playing Fri/Sat night (March 28-29th) at The FLYING "M" Ranch near Gaston, Or. Sounds like it's a long way off but it's not really.
Doug Jones a really fine pedal man is their picker!
Eric West

Post by Eric West »

Right you are. South it is.

I'm going to play at my favorite "honky tonk", the Tippy Canoe, this weekend, if you get a chance to get out. One of those "ear plug" gigs. Pretty loud.

I'm not going to use my tuner.

Day thing is looking pretty gloomy.

EJL

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Eric West on 19 March 2003 at 09:01 AM.]</p></FONT>
Larry Behm

Post by Larry Behm »

I will be at Jubitz this weekend.

Larry Behm
Michael Haselman

Post by Michael Haselman »

Any of you Portland players heard the "Spitboys" yet? An old and talented friend of mine, Del Plagge, is in that band and they sound like they're pretty fun.

------------------
Marrs D-10, Webb 6-14E
Chris Schlotzhauer

Post by Chris Schlotzhauer »

I'll be at the Aladdin Theatre w/the Derailers on 4-13. Sorry, that's as soon as I can get there.
Eric West

Post by Eric West »

Larry. Are you going to be playing there? With Whom? I was trying to get a solo show there myself, but they were balking at the $2000/night solo scale for someone with a dirty guitar..

Michael. Where are the Spitboys playing?

Chris. I'll try to get there one of the nights. Who's opening?
Pete Burak

Post by Pete Burak »

Yes! Please come down and be sure to let me know you are there.

Here is the write up:

ALERT THE TROOPS!

Every Wednesday!

Rock-a-Lily!

at

The Spare Room

4830 N.E. 42nd (just north of Prescott) ~ (503) 287-5800

8pm - 12am

NO COVER!

Dinner Special for March - PRIME RIB for $7.95 ('til 10pm)

Drink Specials - MARTINI or the all new LILY-TINI for $3.75 (all night)

"Rock-a-Lily!" is a 5 piece Rockabilly/Swing band. Great musicians, high energy plus great ballads, very fun band all round! You'll hear a few songs that you'll recognize instantly, and many more that you possibly never have heard before. That's the way we like it!

The band consists of: Lily Wilde: Vocals ~ Peter Burak: Pedal Steel & Vocals ~ Justin DeFreece: Guitar & Vocals ~ Roger Conley: Upright Bass & Vocals ~ Tom Royer: Drums & Vocals

So far, we've pulled our material from some of the greats of Rockabilly, Swing, Western Swing, a little Country, and more. Some notables include: Janis Martin, Patsy Cline, Charline Arthur, Nellie Lutcher, Wanda Jackson, Brenda Lee, "Tennesee" Ernie Ford w/Kay Starr, The Collins Kids, Speedy West & Jimmy Bryant, Ella Mae Morse and more......
Ray Montee

Post by Ray Montee »

ERIC: It's so nice "to be RIGHT" for a change. "South" it is.......and you're a true gentleman for acknowledging my observation.

ERIC: "NOT TAKING YOUR TUNER?" You could get tossed in the vat with some of the other Forumites that have errored by discussing the "tuner" debate. You are a BRAVE MAN!

ERIC: WHERE is Tippy Canoe?

PETE: ......the guitar guy; Been working nights but still trying to get out to hear you and your new group. Glad you're having FUN and making the BIG BUCKS.
Pete Burak

Post by Pete Burak »

Ray, I think we will continue this wed thing into April, so hopefully you'll get a free wed night one of these weeks.

Eric West

Post by Eric West »

I am not only going to toss my tuner. but I am going to use a special "Sho~Bud" $896 Cab-Drop Compensator I developed at a Seance with the guy that wound my pickups, and am going to be using the DUI tuning pattern.. (Digitally Unjust Intonation) I'm also going to try a rack mount signal processor/compressor/Emmonizer /Slowbro/fuzz/chorus/presence enhancer. Probably a Matchbox too. (I'm hoping it will hold my clothes.)

I didn't get to practice much this week, but I probably won't be any worse than I was last week.

I'm going to start taking "monthly" gigs so my memory will fade between gigs, and I'll actually think I'm getting better.

ERIC: WHERE is Tippy Canoe?

Now that you mention it, I don't know..

No. It's up the Sandy River at the L&Clark State Park exit just past Troutdale, South up the Sandy, past Tads Dumplings, and on your right a ways up the road.

(You go past the place where all the cars are lined up at the county line with tobacco chewing guys sitting on the hoods, and pass the people that are running down the road. Don't stop and pick them up. You don't want to know why they are running..)

Oh and if you can, by all means, come hear them. Pete's great, and Lilly is... well, be prepared for some classic REAL FINE singin'. Bring your X-Ray specs too.

Tired Old Eric.
Pete Burak

Post by Pete Burak »

Just want to say thanks to Eric for stopping in last night. Glad I got to meet your wife, too.
...and Eric, about 30 min after you left, the author of this thread, Randy Pokeda, came in and caught the 3rd and a bit of the last set.
Randy was in town from Canada for a Saw Mill convention.
He says it's just like a steel convention, but with Saw Mills.
Really great to meet you Randy, and thanks for making the effort to come down.

My fellow band members have been really impressed with the steel guitar community comradery!

Thanks for coming out you guys!

~Pete B.
Jesse Pearson

Post by Jesse Pearson »

Pete, I e-mailed Lily last week asking if I could get some promo flyers for the music room. I told her to let me know when you guys record with your steel, so I can buy a copy. I remember her with Jr. Cadillac, she's still a looker...! What a great gig you have.
jjacks

Post by jjacks »

Pete - Will you be playing through April or just until April? I'd like to get out and see you guys. That's my old stompin ground and I haven't been over there in a long time.

Eric - Which nites do you play the Trippy Canoe? Not a bad location. My best memories are all along that road.

My work schedule is tough for getting out. Sun - Tues nites are always free, and the good nites are by special arrangement. Let me know.

Jeff

------------------
Jeff Jacks
Eric West

Post by Eric West »

Well, just got home from thr friday part of a fri-sat gig there.

Jubitz from sun mar 30-thurs apr 3. Flying M 4-5apr. Jubitz apr 11-12 Jason snell. Other stuff too, I just don't have my book right now and some stuff is "coming in".

I've always liked the Tippy, regardless of the band I'm in. It's a place where the "fun police" never seem to bust people.

Kind of reminds me of "The Shining"..

I think I've actually been there "a long time...."
Pete Burak

Post by Pete Burak »

Yes, The Spare Room gig has been continued for Wed nights in April.
Hey Larry, if you think you can make it out, let me know and I'll bring my Emmons Push-Pull that night.
~pb
Randy Pokeda

Post by Randy Pokeda »

Hey Pete: It was great to meet you and listen to your band. I wish I could have caught the whole performance. I felt bad when you interupted your dinner break to show me your gear but I know that is the way steel players are to one another, and that is one reason why the instrument is so great to be a part of. If any of you guys are ever in the Portland area, check out where Pete is playing and go meet him, you won't be sorry.
Randy Pokeda
Susan Alcorn

Post by Susan Alcorn »

You know, Portland has one of (if not THE)the best steel guitar scenes I've ever come across. There are excellent steel guitarists, and they support each other in ways I don't see anywhere else. It's a wonderful place to see, hear, and play steel guitar.
Eric West

Post by Eric West »

I gotta admit that there are a bunch of real good folks here. I've never had a cross word from any of them, and I can be playing like I'll be starting Sunday nite at our local truck stop for a 5 niter, and know that at least three of them will be in to give me a hard time, and maybe a few of their extra onion rings..

One night, Harley James, Wes Bakken, and Doug Jones came in with "numbers" cut out of tag board, and would hold them up in unison. I got some pretty good grades, except when Harley found a couple "minus" numbers he held up when I tried to pass off a tired old "emmons" lick a few to many times. No fooling old Felix..

Dale Grandstrom, Ray Montee, Pete Burak and a couple others will invariably stop in. I can usually count on Ray to order too many french fries, so the breaks are especially good.

Larry Behm is a little "stiff" sometimes, but we're all praying for him..

It really is a good scene, for the limited amount of work there is. I consider ALL of them among my best friends.

Glad that people notice how it "can be". We certainly appreciate having it that way.

EJL
Pete Burak

Post by Pete Burak »

Thanks to local Portland area Steelers Kris Stuart, Tucker Jackson, Jeff Jacks, and Paul Brainard, for coming in this past wed!

Five more wed nights to go!
(maybe more?)

This has turned out to be a fun gig and a great steel playin' workout for me while figuring out what I'm going to play on all these new (to me) songs (sorry for the coupla clunkers! Image).

This is a new band and I think we're getting better every week, so come back and check us out!
Pete B.
Larry Behm

Post by Larry Behm »

Eric I am not stiff I just work 10 hours a day and have a real hard time getting up at 4:30 in the morning after getting home at midnight. I must not be drinking the same coffee you do.

The Oregon guys really are a great bunch and pound for pound we have some really great players here. In the old days we would help each other a lot, now we spend time with the up and coming players and with the talent we have here there is no reason to not meet with success.

Larry Behm
Eric West

Post by Eric West »

Larry.

I agree with you there.. I finally, this winter got some "quality time off" on the day job. Last summer it was lots of seven niters and a bunch of twelvsies, like lots of years before.. I'd come to work pretty worn out.. I remember doing it for a long time putting on whatever outfit I was wearing to work so I could know for sure whether it was 7 in the morning or 7 at night when I woke up after 3 hours of sleep.

Oh and the coffee.. As long as you drink two to five gallons a day it doesn't matter what brand it is..

Yup. I think the thing I like the most is that we seem to share each others' confidences about the "bands" and don't get too involved in "inter-band" politics. We always seem to remember who our "family" is. That's what keeps us ahead of the game if you ask me.

We're all friends besides.

Stop out some night between Sun-Thurs iff'n you get a chance.

Erico
David Coplin

Post by David Coplin »

Eric,
Whats the location for Jubitz. I know I have been past it many times but I am just not sure where the exact location is.
I'll stop and say hello next time I'm up your way when you are playing.
Thanks, Dave
Eric West

Post by Eric West »

It's off exit 307 on I-5, just before the Interstate Bridge after Portland proper.

You have to make believe you're a Truck, and follow the signs for "Diesel". It's a really big complex compared to years past, and it's called the "Ponderosa Lounge". It's actually on Vancouver Ave Northbound just before it ends crossing Marine Drive just before I-5.

I'll be there starting tonite (7:30-12:30) till thurs with Monty Moss, then 11-12apr with Jason Snell, and in May, the 9-15th with Monty Moss and Jason Snell on off nites/fri-sat respectively. Other weekends in other places with other bands.

(It's not like in previous years when I destroyed one band at a time..)

I'm just going over to set up my stuff if I can find my sunglasses...

If you want to catch a "Paving Show" I'm working directly under the Freemont bridge hauling equipment and blactop out of the steam belching asphalt plant there. It's kind of like "Cheers" there. Everybody knows my name... Anybody with a young person considering dropping their education should come visit and see what can and will happen to a person that does.... (Scared back to School is what I call it.)

EJL