When you pay big bucks, do you want a show?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Eric West

Post by Eric West »

Just went out and saw Dale G sitting in with Doug at the Renegade gig. As usual, there were a half dozen people in the "crowd". No I don't think the "dress" is the reason for the decline. I think it's probably the other way around if anything. Rare is the person that feels that they want to take "extra effort" when the wages have not only not increased, but are *half* wnat they were 20 years ago. You, I, Doug, Larry, and the few other PSGers are probably the most notable exceptions.

I was just remembering my "audition" to fill Steve Chet' slot in the "Starr Family Band", or "Redheads" as they were called. They, The Simmons Family, and the Snead Family ( Danny's clan) and probably many others used to have TOP NOTCH touring bands. They had busses, matching uniforms, and the music was impeccable. The money was there. With the Simmons', I know Larry went on to play with Ray Stevens,and then back here to play a professional duo, Donny went with local bands, and I believe Dad went into real estate. Ronny Starr had been playing locally with "Lonesome Road" until recently. I've heard that Danny Snead went to the Great SW. All of them seemed to keep with the habits they learned so many years ago, and are all top notch to this day. I'd probably have to ask them, but I don't believe they were financially able to keep it up, more than "losing jobs" because of their "professionality".

I think it's too easy to blame "ourselves" for this decline in music.

One thing has been the 1099ing of every little pissant gig. It's really the icing on the cake when you're already making half of what you used to. Why tempt the G men with 2000$ deductions for guitar strings?

Probably too, the DWI frenzy, and the advent of cable TV and Video rentals. I dont even drink, and I don't feel like taking the wife out to "brave the local constabulary" if I'm not working. Hell, I might have a tail light out..

You know, the one piece of clothing I've always wanted to get ahold of besides one of Porter Waggoner's Wagon Wheel jackets was Billy White Wolf's White Buckskin coat.

Check out my "Band tricks" post under yours. It's all I could think of.

Get to work two hours hauling 34 tons of cold mix at 6 am tomorrow and a backhoe.

Gresham Eagles this Fri-Sat.

EJL

Jesse Pearson

Post by Jesse Pearson »

Ray, what gigs (country gigs?) have you seen muscians looking dirty etc. I have never seen it that bad anywhere. Everyone I have ever known puts on clean cloths and looks clean, regardles of having long hair and facial hair.

People don't drink as much as they used to because it's so easy to get arrested anymore for alot less, this has changed alot of things. Country music has gone up in sales when other types of music are in decline. I think most younger players are very concerned with how they look on stage. Untill you make it, playing clubs and having a following is a tough road to travel.
Rick Ulrich

Post by Rick Ulrich »

This thread has covered the gamut. But I thought Ray asked what we would spend big bucks on. I can appreciate good musicians that don't dress up so well and I would buy their CD's, but I would not be so inclined to pay big bucks to go see them in person. Just last month my wife and I paid big bucks to see a dance performance. The dancers were superb, but their costumes were very plain and there were no stage props, nothing visual. Would I spend big bucks to see that group again?? Probably not When I pay big bucks to see something, I want to see something a little bit special.
Ray Montee

Post by Ray Montee »

Hey there Jesse! What else would you like to tell me that you think I'm not smart enough to already know? Hummmmmmmm?
Ray Montee

Post by Ray Montee »

Hey there Jesse! I chanced to discover your comments........like I'm not smart enough to determine when a grungee group is on stage? Perhaps in the town of Ramona, Calif, all western musicians are pristine in the appearance and play nothing but top shows for their audiences.
I, however, along with others I know, have made the rounds, been on the other side of the block, and have had many opportunities to observe the very type of "appearance factor" that has been discussed in various Forum Posts. The groups that dress nicer seem always to have a larger, more loyal following than do the groups displaying little personal pride in their appearance or that of their band. Oh well.........
Pete Burak

Post by Pete Burak »

As fate would have it, I've probably been to more Willie Nelson concerts than any other band..., except The Grateful Dead.
Willie just always seems to be playin' where I'm at at the the time, and I always go.
We opened for him when I was with The Countrypolitans 2 nights in Amsterdam at the Paradiso. I have a great picture of me and Willie backstage.
FWIW, He's really clean. His sister comes out his hair.
He smoked a joint on the roof of the White House.
His concerts go on forever!
Last time I saw him, I thought the show would surely have to end soon, when Willie stops for a moment, and then says, Hey, I just remembered a few other songs I wanted to play. And he went on to play for another 45 minutes. One of the drummers had to run off to take a pee.
When I spoke to him backstage about steel, he immediatly brought up Jimmy Day and Buddy Emmons stories.
The part I love most about Willie Nelson Concerts, is when the huge American Flag comes blazing down from the rafters behind the band during Whisky River!

Back to the topic...
I bought a pair of nice black trousers at Target today for $9.98.
I polished my black and whites.
My wife sewed a button onto my cool swing shirt for me.
And I played a gig from 8pm to 12pm tonight and only played E9th on 3 songs!
The rest of band looked good too!

We'll be there every wed in March, Ray!
Please come see us!!!
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Pete Burak on 06 March 2003 at 01:42 AM.]</p></FONT>
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

I have to agree with Ray. If you go out and look at the $50.00 a night guys most of them
look sloppy and play the same way (Nashville being an exception). They just can't understand why they only play once a month. Those days are fast coming to an end. Women are making the difference. They vote with their feet, and the guys follow the women. I think Ray's observation is the correct one.
Theresa Galbraith

Post by Theresa Galbraith »

I've seen George Strait live. I got what I wanted to see and hear.
Hopefully, when I see Shania live. I'll have that same feeling!
I've seen rock & roll artist. I wasn't disappointed either.
? When I pay big bucks, I want a show! Yes! It's all subjective to the person seeing the show anyway.
Joey Ace

Post by Joey Ace »

<font size=1>Yes, that's Buddy with a Bigsby.</font>
Theresa Galbraith

Post by Theresa Galbraith »

Joey,
You have some cool pictures! Image Go Buddy! Image
Ray Montee

Post by Ray Montee »

Hi there Pete.........the guitar guy!
Let me be the first to tell you that I'm indeed proud of you, as are your wife, parents, future children and anyone that has had the opportunity to make your acquaintance and/or fortunate enough to earn your loyal friendship.
Pete is a fine steel guitarist, has played world-wide, including Chatanooga, Dallas and St.Louis and ALWAYS presents himself well.......neat, sparkling clean, well dressed and an all 'round fine musician/performer kinda person. He's the kinda steeler folks come to see.

AND WHERE may we Forumites come to see YOU on Wednesday nights? I'm sure many in this area would enjoy giving you a listen. And what hours are you there? Cover charge?<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Ray Montee on 06 March 2003 at 10:02 AM.]</p></FONT>
Jesse Pearson

Post by Jesse Pearson »

Ray, your not hanging out on the block anymore and haven't for a long time, that much I'm sure of by your insights, which have nothing to do with the real world. Your the big country expert, how the heck do you play western swing when you say you don't play jazz? When was the last time you saw George Strait? He's somebody who knows country and dresses normal like the rest of us. By the way, Ramona is in San Diego county, there's not much live country here, but there sure is alot of sunshine, wish I could send you some. Image
Pete Burak

Post by Pete Burak »

Ray, I'm playing with Portlands local swing scene hero-esse, Lily Wilde. www.lilywilde.com

She saw a Women in Rock-A-Billy program on PBS, and ditched her horn section and replaced it with me on steel!

Every Wednesday Starting March 5th

Rock-a-Lily!

at

The Spare Room

4830 N.E. 42nd (near Prescott) ~ (503) 287-5800

8pm - 12am

NO COVER!

Great Food and Drink Specials!

"Rock-a-Lily!" is a 5 piece Rockabilly/Swing band. Great musicians, high energy plus great ballads, very fun band all round! You'll hear a few songs that you'll recognize instantly, and many more that you possibly never have heard before. That's the way we like it!

The band consists of: Lily Wilde: Vocals ~ Peter Burak: Pedal Steel & Vocals ~ Justin DeFreece: Guitar & Vocals ~ Roger Conley: Upright Bass & Vocals ~ Tom Royer: Drums & Vocals

So far, we've pulled our material from some of the greats of Rockabilly, Swing, Western Swing, a little Country, and more. Some notables include: Janis Martin, Patsy Cline, Charline Arthur, Nellie Lutcher, Wanda Jackson, Brenda Lee, "Tennesee" Ernie Ford w/Kay Starr, The Collins Kids, Speedy West & Jimmy Bryant and Ella Mae Morse with more to come soon......

again...
No Cover Charge!
8pm-12pm

I had the Prime Rib special last night and it was great!
Here's a link to a review of The Spare Room: http://portland.citysearch.com/review/8474425/editorial/?cslink=cs_profile_standalone_review <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Pete Burak on 06 March 2003 at 11:24 AM.]</p></FONT>