Teach Your Children

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

Hey Jerry, the E-mail I sent you yesterday with pictures of my lap steels bounced because your mailbox was too full. You need to empty it out. <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Mike Perlowin on 16 February 2003 at 07:05 PM.]</p></FONT>
Joe Miraglia

Post by Joe Miraglia »

Jeff--Talk about playoffs, or I'll add Super Bowls--I am a Bills fan. I got mad and cried through FOUR Super Bowls, but I got over it. You are hearing it first on the Steel Guitar Forum--Bills and Giants will play the next Super Bowl game Image. You are right about what people think. If most people disagree with me or can't get along with me then I am the one who needs to change.
Melinda--It doesn't matter who plays steel or what type music they play, diversity is good. Keep playing that steel guitar--we need young players. I work with a band ages 24 to 63--guess who is 63 Image. Joe
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

Good morning.....Joey, my prayers were answered... Image
Jody Carver

Post by Jody Carver »

Jody Carver

Post by Jody Carver »

I like that stack of speakers. I detect an open voice coil in one of them.
George McLellan

Post by George McLellan »

Jody, that looks like the amp Joe Deloronde is building for Billy Jones for the Winnipeg show. Image

------------------
SUAS U' PHIOB
Geo

Ron Page

Post by Ron Page »

Melinda,

From your last couple of posts, I get the impression you're wishing you hadn't posted the inflamatory remarks about Mike Perlowin's hippie friends. JK, Mike. Image

You can go back to that post and click on the "edit" icon just above the message. You can change your message and then your words won't be forever archived online. Of course, I'm sure someone will have saved their own copy to hold against you. Image

------------------
HagFan

Melinda Dauley

Post by Melinda Dauley »

I'm only sorry I offended someone. I don't like to do that when I am new to a place.

I really do believe what I said.

Melinda
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

Melinda, as a 60's hippie, and outspoken liberal, I was saddened by your statements. But if there is a lesson here, it's that there are both decent people and jerks in every possible group. You and I don't have to agree, as long as we treat each other with dignity and respect, and the fact is that I have many friends on this forum who think I'm mistaken in my political beliefs, but nevertheless have good personal relations with me.

We are all here for one reason. We love this crazy instrument, and want to discuss it and teach and learn from each other. That's more important than how we wear our hair or how we vote.
Jesse Pearson

Post by Jesse Pearson »

Melinda, you remind me of the aroma of Tacoma. If you really believe in what you posted, you are a hundred times more dumb ass than any of the hippies you put down. Hell girl, you have no idea what that scene was all about, and please, don't compare yourself to Red necks, alot of good ole boys in Texas were the biggest heads you ever meet. Sides, you posting that your flipping off americans and wanting to plow them down with your car because they are exercising their right to "freedom of speech" in an anti war demonstration shows who the real commie is baby. Yea, you really believe in what you said, thats why you are now editing your posts. And by the way doll, its R O C K A B I L L Y. <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Jesse Pearson on 18 February 2003 at 10:13 AM.]</p></FONT>
Joey Ace

Post by Joey Ace »

from my previous post:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR><SMALL>"Please keep on the topic of Steel Guitar.
Attacks on people you don't like, for whatever reason, do not belong here."</SMALL><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Dave Long

Post by Dave Long »

..just a note..a while back, we had Buddy Cage with The Brookly Cowboys here...after set up, Buddy hung around..ended up befriending Bob, one of the 'old geezers' who had served in Korea..they sat around, drank sodas & talked electronics, early radar, 1950's jet planes & Buddy's rig...in short, here were two different guys who were open & smart enough to find common ground...last time I saw Bob, he asked me for all my records with Buddy on them..catch my drift?
Dave Long http://www.amagickgarden.com/puckettsfarmequip.html
Melinda Dauley

Post by Melinda Dauley »

*smiles and nods* Image<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Melinda Dauley on 17 February 2003 at 08:02 PM.]</p></FONT>
Eric West

Post by Eric West »

*burps and orders another, sitting quietly by the jukebox* Image
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

David Cobb

Post by David Cobb »

Move over, Jim Rockford. Image
David Cobb

Post by David Cobb »

Move over, Jim Rockford. Image
Melinda Dauley

Post by Melinda Dauley »

Yeah that's me.
I'm called Miss Kitty. It's my rockerbilly name. Everyone's welcome to look at the website but uh...you more sensitive types might not want to check out the biographies.
Cool.
Thanks for visiting.
Melinda
Pete Burak

Post by Pete Burak »

Cover the childrens eyes! Image
uff-da!
Matt Steindl

Post by Matt Steindl »

Joey, was that Neal Cassidy sitting in the control room in your photo of Jerry?

------------------
Mattman in "The Big Sleazy"-:
S-10 Dekley, Suitcase Fender Rhodes, B-bender Les Paul

Joey Ace

Post by Joey Ace »

I dunno.
Bob Blair

Post by Bob Blair »

I don't think that's Neal, but the short hair fits. But the guy looks a tad too youthful, to my eye. The timing would help. Anyone know the date of that picture? Cassady died in Mexico in February, 1968.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Bob Blair on 18 February 2003 at 12:07 PM.]</p></FONT>
Brad Sarno

Post by Brad Sarno »

Ahh Melinda. Like so many people who are offended by the vibe and culture of the hippies (deadheads), you also made comments that are essentially racist. You lumped Jerry Garcia and his fans all into one category and expressed your hatred. It's just like racism. It's also silly. Jerry was a musician, a lover of music, perhaps the most significant player in the Americana movement, merging old-time, bluegrass, country, R&B, rock&roll, blues, and the still-very-much-alive psychedelic experience all into one. I admit it's a strange and sometimes stinky culture but it's all about the love of music and the ritual of the live performance. I happen to love the hippie types. I bathe and my hair is short, but I love the scene. Probably the kindest bunch of Americans you could ever meet. And their love of music and their attentive ears bring energy to the live concert ritual. And they're not all "pinkos". That's stupid. It's like categorizing country music fans as one type of person.

As for Jerry (on 6-string), there's no guitarist in history who's played to more people in their career. 28 years of constant gigging, 3 to 4 tours a year, many shows in his last decade averaged over 30,000 people. You do the math. People loved what he was playing. I've really grown to love his sense of phrasing, dynamics, improv, and melody. In many ways he was the best I've ever heard. Perhaps not technically, but aesthetically. Music is art and the criteria for what "great" means is a messy subject. Also, most people have never even heard the really GOOD Garcia performances, and they have no idea how or what he really played. The deadheads know. That's why they smile, smile, smile!

Gratefully,

Brad Sarno
St. Louis, MO
Bob Ruggeri

Post by Bob Ruggeri »

I agree that Garcia's steel work on Children is just fine and very appropriate for that song. Simple, but it is perfeet accompaniement for that particular song and that's what it's all about. As for this later work, did he play on the "Pride of Cucamunga"? That was pretty accomplished. remember reading here some time ago that someone else played that.
I saw the New Riders once with the Dead and Garcia's steel was all set up on stage. The show was delayed for the better part of an hour with three confused looking guys crawling around underneath "making adjustments." The axe must have been screwed up en route and they couldn't begin to get it right. Suffice it to say, Jerry didn't play with the New Riders that night.......

Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

Brad, you are out of line calling someone racist here on the steel guitar forum and are in violation of forum etiquette rules. Where the $#@& do you get off making such hateful and innaccurate accusations of another forum member? Melinda made NO racist statements. Bobby do you here this guy? This kind of accusatory rhetoric doesn't belong here.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Kevin Hatton on 18 February 2003 at 04:23 PM.]</p></FONT>