Teach Your Children

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Melinda Dauley

Teach Your Children

Post by Melinda Dauley »

Was listening to "Teach your Children" By CSNY on the way home. Is that Jerry Garcia playing steel? Who is it?
Melinda
Joey Ace

Post by Joey Ace »

You're correct. Do a forum search on Jerry for a lot of discussion on him.

I've tabbed it at http://users.interlinks.net/rebel/steel/1970.html

Melinda Dauley

Post by Melinda Dauley »

That's a really cool recording and I like that song. You can never deny good music, no matter who played it.
Honestly though, Jerry Garcia can see me in Hell.
Melinda
Greg Simmons

Post by Greg Simmons »

hmmm, that sounds a tad "unGrateful"... Image

------------------
Greg Simmons
Custodian of the Official Sho~Bud Pedal Steel Guitar Website

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Greg Simmons on 15 February 2003 at 12:13 PM.]</p></FONT>
JB Arnold

Post by JB Arnold »

Ahem....

Melinda

I have no idea what you may have done to wind up there-but I can promise you Garcia won't be there waiting for you.

There are a lot of Deadheads here who plan on seeing and hearing him again in a better place. We'll give him your regards.

JB

------------------
Fulawka D-10 9&5
Mullen Royal Precision D-10 8 & 5
"All in all, looking back, I'd have to say the best advice anyone ever gave me was 'Hands Up, Don't Move!"
www.johnbarnold.com/pedalsteel
www.buddycage.net

http://www.nrpsmusic.com/index.html

Eric West

Post by Eric West »

Jeez Mel... Isn't that a bit "stiff"?

Tell us how you really feel...

EJL

------------------
Eric West
'78 Pro III Sho-Bud
'75 MSA Red Baron
'63FLH 90cid Panhead Stroker
'80 Gold Wing
-Peavey: When it's *not* about "The Sound"-
"You can Smart Yourself Dumb.
Why Can't you Dumb yourself Smart?"-Me
"There are only so many ways to fry cat food."- Buster
"At my age, sometimes I run out of Adrenaline, but I've still got plenty of Gall.." -Me-

Bob Blair

Post by Bob Blair »

Yep Melinda, you have now hit on one of the most reliable sources of controversy on the Forum. Lots of us like and were inspired by those steel sounds. Most people on the Forum who don't like Garcia dislike him because of his steel work on that song. Once again you have proven to be a refreshing voice - you dislike Garcia even though you like what he did on "Teach"! Joey's right - if you wan t some entertainment do that search!
Nick Reed

Post by Nick Reed »

Melinda,
Are there any good places there in Tacoma to go and hear Steel guitar on the weekends. I might have to come up there sometime. NR
Melinda Dauley

Post by Melinda Dauley »

No, there aren't any good places in Tacoma to hear steel. There is one steel player in Tacoma I know of and I have never seen him anywhere. There IS a new steel player in Seattle named Martin or Marvin who is origionally from NC. He's cool. Hope to see him around again.
*smiles and nods* Image
Melinda

------------------
Just remember: Bi-valves can't play steel. And if they ask, just say no.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Melinda Dauley on 17 February 2003 at 07:23 PM.]</p></FONT>
Joey Ace

Post by Joey Ace »

Please keep on the topic of Steel Guitar.

Attacks on people you don't like, for whatever reason, do not belong here.

Steel Guitar Nashville has a forum that welcomes everything, even Steel Guitar topics.

Also b0b has set up an Off Topic board for Political and other discussions.
ajm

Post by ajm »

Having an engineering/digital circuits background I see four possible combinations here.

1) Like Garcia and like TYC.
2) Like Garcia but don't like TYC.
3) Don't like Garcia but like TYC.
4) Don't like Garcia and don't like TYC.

Have we hit them all yet?

------------------
Artie McEwan
Bob Blair

Post by Bob Blair »

Yep, Artie, I think we've finally hit them all! I tend to think that some people don't like "Teach" because it was Garcia, who they don't like. Sometimes for reasons not entirely dissimilar to Melinda's! From what I've been reading about Jerry recently in the book "A Long Strange Trip", he was no stranger to hard work, at least as far as music was concerned.
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

The problem surrounding Garcia is not his playing, which wasn't bad, but that fact that a lot of ignorant people voted him the world's greatest steel guitarist in a poll by Guitar Player magazine, choosing him over players like Buddy, Lloyd and Jimmy Day.

These are the same people who called George Harrison the greatest sitar player in the world. They confuse being in a popular and successful band with great technical virtuosity.

The fact it that Garcia wasn't a bad player. He certainly wasn't a great one, but he was at least competent. If he hasd been an unknown session player who did the CSNY gig and faded back into obscurity, nobody would care much about him. It's his unfairly elevated status among those who don't know any better that ticks everybody off.

From all reports he was a very nice and generous guy, as well as a fine guitarist and banjo player. I know for a fact that he paid Scotty full retail price without quibbling when he bought his steel.
Steve England

Post by Steve England »

Seems to me like someone keeps throwing out the bait here and some of us keep taking it. Image
kbdrost

Post by kbdrost »

I did not know that he bought a guitar from Scotty. How perfect. Was it his Zum or his Sho-bud? I don't mean to take this topic where it ain't supposed to go, but I'm one of those who took up the PSG because of Jerry and Rusty Young and Buddy Cage (and Lloyd and Jay Dee on the Sweeheart of the Rodeo album) Guess you'd have to put me in #1, Artie.

------------------
Ken Drost
Bob Blair

Post by Bob Blair »

In terms of us all taking the bait, Steve, what the heck, it's a slow night!

I'd also be interested in which guitar Garcia bought from Scotty. I was under the impression from what I'd read that he bought the ZB from some store in Boulder. That would be the ZB that Pete Grant now has, and the one that he played on, among other things, the CSNY session. But maybe he bought a different guitar in Boulder. Anyone know?
R. L. Jones

Post by R. L. Jones »

Melanda ,, You are among the Elite on this forum. All of these guy`s have paid their dues, some,as many years as you are old, and some even more.

The old adage ," walk softly ,and carry a big stick," apply here. These are some of the nicest people on earth, and are very careful not to offend one of their own

nuff said

R. L.
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

In the early 70s, I was a young aspiring photographer. I shot this photo of Jerry Garcia in concert at Santa Barbara. This photo made it into "The Guitar Book" by Tom Wheeler in 1974. It kicked off the chapter on amplifiers.

I got $5.00 and photo credit in the back of the book..."What a Long Stinky Trip It's Been." Image

Image <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by HowardR on 15 February 2003 at 09:52 PM.]</p></FONT>
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

I assume those speakers were all for his guitar, right Howard? Image
JB Arnold

Post by JB Arnold »

Ah!
The Wall of Sound

Invented by Bear and Healy, it was a monstrous thing that took 2 days to set up and sounded like heaven. I have friends in sound reinforcement that say they were 30 years ahead of their time, and the principles they use are still in use in concert sound today-But with advances in design, you don't need as much stuff.

There were 2 full rigs, hopscotching each other around the country. It was fabulous, it sounded awesome, and it damn near bankrupted them. As with most ideas the Dead tried to practice, it was wonderful-and economic suicide. It only made about 73 appearances and was then parted out. cage still has some of the Hard Trucker cabs from that rig.

And yes-Garcia's first steel came from Boulder-but he had several, including an Emmons at one point-at least I have a picture of him at one, although that could have been belonged to Cage-he had 2.

And I'll hang with the dirty stinky hippies. smells better than what Mel's wading around in...

JB

------------------
Fulawka D-10 9&5
"All in all, looking back, I'd have to say the best advice anyone ever gave me was 'Hands Up, Don't Move!"
www.buddycage.net

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by JB Arnold on 15 February 2003 at 10:27 PM.]</p></FONT>
Greg Simmons

Post by Greg Simmons »

A great time to remind all that the good folks at Rhino Records are re-releasing a number of Grateful Dead recordings in a remastered and expanded format (i.e. some live tracks); I'm esp. looking forward to "Workingman's Dead" and "American Beauty"; I believe they hit the street February 25 Image

------------------
Greg Simmons
Custodian of the Official Sho~Bud Pedal Steel Guitar Website

Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

<SMALL>I'll hang with the dirty stinky hippies. </SMALL>
Me too.
Melinda Dauley

Post by Melinda Dauley »

Okay. I see where the offense comes from with the population voting Garcia
"worlds best steel guitar player". What is up with that? I mean, the guy sounds good, but not that good. Who is reading Guitar Player that much?
I think I've read it once or twice. They had an article on The Reverend Horton Heat. I think they had one on Brian Setzer and his really cool amplifiers (wheat Grill Fenders). I don't think I've ever seen a steel guitar article in there.
I'm under the impression that there is a PSG magazine already out there or is starting pretty soon?
Where can I get a script?
Melinda
PS Sorry about the hippie stuff, sometimes I get carried away. I think if you knew what they stole, you would understand.
JB Arnold

Post by JB Arnold »

Gregg

"The Golden Road" Boxed set of all the Warner Bros albums is already out. each CD is remastered and has bonus Tracks on it.

Buy it at your local record store or get it at www.Dead.net

john

------------------
Fulawka D-10 9&5
www.buddycage.net

John Steele

Post by John Steele »

Wow, how liberating.
It seems like the perfect time to say, man I think Jerry Lee Lewis sucked as a piano player.
-John