Will the "70's" Steel sound ever return?????

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

MARK GILES

Post by MARK GILES »

I believe Chuck's post was meant to be tounge-in-cheek. At least that's the way I took it. Hey, I've been wrong before. Lloyd green told me that he thought a great song is one that could be done as an instrumental and still be a great song. Most of the classics that we steelers like are like that. We don't need the lyrics to enjoy the song. I can't think of many new songs that are like that. But there are probably some. Just can't think of them.
Chuck Norris

Post by Chuck Norris »

I don`t know what tongue in cheek mean`s but I think that was me. They talking about the new steel playing being weak and those are the guys who are out there now playing those session`s. I LOVE hughey`s playing he`s in my top 5 steel player`s along with Jerry Brightman, Weldon, Mooney and well maybe now you get what I`M SAYING.How about those string`s on Price`s songs kind of like the strings on Jim Reeves or the horn section on the Will`s band or the Dixie land on Jimmie Roger`s stuff, maybe they called that crossover. Same tune new drag.
Chuck Norris NFM
David Spires

Post by David Spires »

Well Chuck,

I apologize if I mis-read your comments. I've re-read them, and I still don't get it - but I guess that is my problem, not yours.

Sincerely,

David Spires
(fan of Paul, Bruce, and John)
Jeff Lampert

Post by Jeff Lampert »

<SMALL>Same story new drag</SMALL>
Chuck's point was that the opinions on this thread are the same laments he heard 30 years ago. The music is never as good, the players are never as good,, etc. etc. etc. The fact is, classics are being born today. But with all classics, you can never tell what they will be until 20 - 40 years have gone by. No one knows, even though everyone thinks they do know. Isn't it true that when the movies "It's A Wonderful Life" and "The Wizard Of Oz" were originally released, people were not very interested in seeing them. And didn't a lot of know-it-alls think that Elvis and the Beatles were just fads. Yeah, like 50 year-old fads. Bottom line - no one knows, else we'd all be rich. Bye.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Jeff Lampert on 20 November 2002 at 09:02 AM.]</p></FONT>
Chuck Norris

Post by Chuck Norris »

Thanks Jeff I will let you right my threads next time. [smiles]
I started playing music when I was only 5 years old coming from a musical family. I was playing 6 night`s a week on drum`s with my dad and uncle at 6, my point is Ive seen generation`s of music with awareness. One thing I`ve learned early is most musician`s and music fan`s hang to the music of there youth. Music changes from the fiftie`s to the sixtie`s and the teens of the 50`s say the sixtie`s ain`t as good and the sixtie`s say the 70`s aint as good etc., etc. etc. As long as I can remember there has been fluff music and creative music and stuff that I loved that I see as crap now and certainly stuff that I snobed I now see as great music. There was nothing more than that and what Jeff said. I`ll try to be less tongue in cheek with my threads next time. But please try to be more open minded with music there is some awsome steel playing going on. Some roots stuff like Hughey who definenes what country steel should and does sound like heart and soul.
And there is envelope pushing going on with player`s like Jerry Brightman, Mike Perlowin, and yes Robert Randolgh that is going to keep the steel guitar alive and kicking.
I pray you heed this
Chuck Norris NFM
Jody Carver

Post by Jody Carver »

Its a long road "back" to players like Boggs
Murphey,Speedy,Remington,Vance Terry and McAuliffe, Byrd,,,,, ,Morell is keeping it alive,,. Thats where my head is at.

It dont get better than Buddy,Doug,Day,and of course John Hughey. Thats the end of the
line for my taste.
Chuck Norris

Post by Chuck Norris »

Jody everybody is subject to there taste in music. For me I`ll take the journey forward to me the best is yet to come, I hope the player`s will be well schooled to steel`s route`s in the future but get on with the lick`s that have not been played. Im waiting patiently [NOT] for the new Jerry Brightman CD. Have mercy!!!
Chuck Norris NFM
JB Arnold

Post by JB Arnold »

It has resurfaced

"Dodging Bullets", the new Brooklyn Cowboys CD is now available-and it's got that 70's Cage sound all over it! E-me if you want a copy!

JOhn

------------------
Fulawka D-10 9&5
Mullen Royal Precision D-10 8 & 5
"All in all, looking back, I'd have to say the best advice anyone ever gave me was 'Hands Up, Don't Move!"
www.johnbarnold.com/pedalsteel
www.buddycage.net

http://www.nrpsmusic.com/index.html

Leslie Ehrlich

Post by Leslie Ehrlich »

I'll go one better. Will the 70's rock and pop music ever return? There was some steel happening in rock and pop back then too.

The music may be out of style but we can still listen to it, rock or country.
Frank Estes

Post by Frank Estes »

Country music has never been the since the "singing brakeman!" Image
Jody Carver

Post by Jody Carver »

Chuck
I liked the cars of the 70's I liked the cost
of housing in the 70's, I remember those things they called phone booth's where people
would wait on line to use the phone and they would give dirty looks to the person in the booth.

I liked everything about the 70's no war,cheaper cost of living,,what can I tell you,?,,I even liked the polyester wide lapels
suits and long hair.. I have some suits for sale,,,whats your size?? I'll do a promo and send you one free.. Image Image

Be well,,,,gotta get a haircut (1) only.N/C

I'll take mine in "Spades" as in "Cooley".<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Jody Carver on 23 November 2002 at 07:59 AM.]</p></FONT>
Jim Florence

Post by Jim Florence »

Chuck, I agree with you, I'm told that E.T. had to fight with the powers that be, because he wanted to use an "Electric" guitar on the Opry.
Jim
Eddie Malray

Post by Eddie Malray »

I was listening to the radio this morning, something I never do because about the only thing I find worth listening to is George Strait and Allen Jackson. I was getting my oil changed. As I listened to the the way the fiddles and steels were played on a lot of these records i thought the only reason they must have used them at all was to sell them as Country. We can't help the way music changes because young people buy most of it and the records companies are only intrested in the money. Thats the name of the game. Each generation looks for someway to be different and someone their age to idolize. Thats why stars rise and fall. Age catches up. However, when we play a Ray Price song, or Patsy Cline, or Merle Haggard, everyone seems to like it. I Don't think whats selling today will be remembered that long. Thats my openion anyway--if anyone cares or not. The band I'm with never mentions the new stuff. The name of the band is "OLD COUNTRY" and thats what we play and people like it and I'm happy. EDDIE MALRAY Jackson.