My New Fulawka; in Memory of the "Blue Darlin"

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Ricky Davis

My New Fulawka; in Memory of the "Blue Darlin"

Post by Ricky Davis »

WEll it's here and a Beauty to behold.
Ed Fulawka outdid himself on this one.....and I just played my First gig with it.....and It plays and sounds better than anything I've stomped my feet on.
First thing I did when I un-packed her......was to see for myself of the Drop in this guitar. Tuned her up.....pushed A&B pedals down....and the 4th string(E) dropped 1 cent........and with just "A" pedal down.....sixth string dropped 0 cents.....matter of fact....everything else I check.....was ZERO cent drop(Eddy also said that 1 cent drop will go away after she's played a while).
There's no counter force....no compensators......just genious design and when you hit the link below......you will see Genious workmanship.
I am more happy about this guitar than anything I've been happy with. This is my tribute to the late great Jimmy Day...and his "Blue Darlin's"......and Lloyd just e-mailed me after seeing the pics.....that Jimmy would have been very proud.
Thank you Ed Fulawka for waiting so long to find the Right Birdseye Maple for this very special Pedal steel....and "YOU ARE KING" my friend.
Of course I can go on and on about every little feature of this pedal steel....but you know how excited one gets when receiving a new toy.....ah....ha....but if anyone wants to know anything about this guitar....or the great Ed Fulawka......I will field any questions asked.
Here's the Link; Click Here!!

------------------
Ricky Davis

<small>My Homepage
Rebel™ and Ricky's Audio Clips
www.mightyfinemusic.com
Email Ricky: sshawaiian@aol.com

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Ricky Davis on 05 July 2002 at 03:21 AM.]</p></FONT>

Post by Guest »

Ricky, I'm going to take every opportunity I have to tell you what an amazing instrument you have here. I've been saying for sometime now that Ed Fulawka makes the most beautiful steel guitars, period. But this one is the best I've seen yet.

I sure wish I could hear it and touch it, but the pictures tell the story pretty well. That instrument defines what a steel guitar should be -- the ideal in every respect, including beauty. Ed is a craftsman without peer and that steel is worth every minute you waited for it (and every dollar you paid).

Tell us more about the mechanics and electronics.
Larry Miller

Post by Larry Miller »

BEAUTIFUL!!
autry andress

Post by autry andress »

Yep, She's a little Darlin. Please don't mistreat her.
Ricky I'm sure little darlin will treat you well.
Joey Ace

Post by Joey Ace »

Congrats Ricky!
I've seen and played a lot of Ed's Mechanical Masterpieces.

Yours look the purrty-ist of all I've seen.

I can see your GRIN way up here!

Will this be a Road Guitar?
Henry Matthews

Post by Henry Matthews »

WOW!!!! That is one beautiful guitar. Know you will enjoy it.
Henry
Johan Jansen

Post by Johan Jansen »

Ricky, it's amazing beautifull!
I notice it has a blue fretboard?
JJ
John P. Phillips

Post by John P. Phillips »

Rick, WOW !! what a beauty, I'm drooling here (hehehe) Image

------------------
"Let's go STEEL something"
If it feels good, do it. If it feels COUNTRY, do it twice
jpp

Steve Feldman

Post by Steve Feldman »

Very nice, indeed! You actually gonna take that thing out of the house and let some lady fall on it???

What are those pickups you have on there? And what are those switches on the right-hand side of the rear apron?
Paul Graupp

Post by Paul Graupp »

Let me repeat what Larry said:

BEAUTIFUL ! BEAUTIFUL !!

And Yes, Jimmy would be more than proud !

Regards, Paul Image Image Image Image
Greg Vincent

Post by Greg Vincent »

Congratulations Ricky! You DESERVE the best!

-GV

-Dig those BLUE NECKS!
CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

Sho'nuff BeautyFull !!!
Steel loves the Blues... Image
Steelin'France]
Jim Smith

Post by Jim Smith »

Super looking guitar Ricky! Image What are the two little button looking thingy's on the back apron?
Bill Ford

Post by Bill Ford »

Jim,choke & throttle maybe...LOL
Rick,to call it beautiful would be a gross understatement,I would'nt want to take it out of the house couse I'd be afraid of hurting it, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill Ford

------------------
Al Udeen

Post by Al Udeen »

Ricky! Its a killer looking guitar, let me know when your close enough for me to hear it, Heck, were close enough on the amp thing! Now go pick! My best to You! au
Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

Ok Thanks everyone....ya'll are too cool for school....ah...ha.
Johan....That is birdseye maple necks just like the body...and that is blue stained maple your looking at...with ivory white frets and markings screened right on the neck.....so no fret board...just natural beauty.
For the inquiries of the "buttons"...ah..ha.
The two Right Knee levers of course work both necks....and of course I have a million changes on each of those knees for both necks. So instead of pulling all the strings for both necks, when your only playing one of the necks; you can un-enguage the pulls for the neck you are not playing ...and visa versa....and of course two knees doing this so two levers(Buttons); and those are actually pull/push levers that enguage or dis-engage those particular linkage underneath......"pretty cool eh??""
The pickups are Ed's own design as he makes them and every single part of his guitar. They are two single blade...reverse wound and wired together and 18,500 ohms is what Bob Lucier has and of course that's what I wanted too....as Bob's Fulawka sounds awesomely like a Sho~Bud and well, you know me....I want to sound like Bob....ah.....ha.
As far as the mechanics of the Fulawka.....well gosh where do I start?? Well I'll just say...it is Perfect. Ed makes his own pullers(well he makes every part)...but most are familiar with Bruce Zumstead's work.....and first time I saw the underneath of a Zum....and said..."Oh my gosh this is so perfect and genious design".....that is how I compare Ed's work underneath....but he staggards his pullers on cross-shafts....so that each change works perfectly for that pull....and so no un-neccessary linkage is what's going on there....
Also; I use a wound 6th string G#.....and Ed's guitars are the only one(well except for maybe a Franklin)that can lower a wound G# string a whole tone....and just to see if what Ed said was true about his guitar....I made the throw longer just to find out for myself.....and that wound string can go down two whole tones.....WOW...of course I put it back for the whole tone...but it can do it.
I have the mother-load of knees on this and Copedant found here>My Fulawka Copedant Click Here!!...So that's 9 knee levers...but 11 total knee functions....6 on e9th and 5 on C6th....and 8 pedals...but Ed puts 9 pedals 6 knee levers standard on his guitars. And all changes work like a dream.
Ok this is longish I know....but tried to field some questions and some not there...but keep'um coming.....and I'll try as much as I can to inform about this Dream come true for me.
Ricky
Jim Smith

Post by Jim Smith »

<SMALL>those are actually pull/push levers</SMALL>
Oh no!!! Image Image
Cairo Zoots
Location: Moville, Iowa ,next to the west fork of the Little Sioux River

Post by Cairo Zoots »

Ricky-what can I say? That Birds eye is so Deep it looks like you could DIVE in! And what a classy chassis! Even Ed 'Big Daddy' Roth would be snergling all over his gimlets! Congrats to U for knowing what U want, and finding a man that could make dreams come true. You deserve it!

------------------
ree-00-dee-doo

Jim Smith

Post by Jim Smith »

How about some pictures of the undercarriage? Some of us geeks don't care what the top looks like. Image
Rick Garrett

Post by Rick Garrett »

WOW what a horn Ricky!! Man thats the finest looking steel I've ever seen. Absolutely gorgeous. Congrats to ya!

Rick Garrett
Jerry Roller

Post by Jerry Roller »

Hey Ricky, that is a real beauty. In your hands I know it will sound great also. I am very happy for you Pal.
Jerry
Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

Done deal Jim....I will snap some close shots of undercarrige and Changer area....but don't have the guitar at the moment....I'll have to do it Monday....as I'm otta town....and it is in Van until then.
Ricky
Marco Schouten

Post by Marco Schouten »

Hi Ricky,

that's a beauty, will you take it to the steeldays in october?
I'd like a date with your sweetheart Image

------------------
Steelin' Greetings
Marco Schouten
Sho-Bud Pro III Custom

Susan Alcorn

Post by Susan Alcorn »

Beautiful guitar . . . and is that a wooden neck? I'll bet it wounds wonderful
Martin Weenick

Post by Martin Weenick »

That is without a doubt the most beautiful steel I have ever seen. He must have looked far and wide for that piece of birdseye. Congradulations Ricky !!!

------------------

Martin W. Emmons LG III 3/5 Peavy 1000