Any players near the Nebraska Panhandle?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Pat Goodbla

Any players near the Nebraska Panhandle?

Post by Pat Goodbla »

Still looking for some players/instructors in or around western Nebraska. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Pat
Tiny Olson

Post by Tiny Olson »

Pat:

Many years ago while I worked the road we used to play Kearney Neb. often. A fella by the name of Earl Pedersen lived nearby and he played pedal steel. He used to come out to see me alot and he's a super great guy.

Through the years, I lost touch with him but you may be able to find him and he might help you out. If you do contact Earl, please tell him I sent my regards.

Tiny Olson
Pat Goodbla

Post by Pat Goodbla »

Thanks, Tiny. I'll give it a whirl.
RON PRESTON

Post by RON PRESTON »

He lived in Brule Nebraska when I lived in Ogallalla, and played on FRONT street.
We played EVERY town in Nebraska from Omaha to Kimball, then on over to Chyanne,Wy from 1980-1990. He was a super nice fellow, and we had a lot of fun trading licks.
Tiny Olson

Post by Tiny Olson »

Ron:

The last time I saw Earl was probably 1977 or '78. I think he had a farm at that time and was playing out as well. I know that kept him busy. Quite a few of my relatives have or had farms throughout that area of the country as they were homesteaders. I loved playing in that neck of the woods and allways had a good time. I worked the road from 1973 'til 1987 and got to every corner of the nation to say the least. I miss it too at times.

Pat:

I hope you can find Earl. If not, you may look towards Cheyenne or Rapid City for someone. I haven't been to either of them in a while, but there used to be a good deal of music in those towns and several local steel players. Best of luck to you.

Tiny
Neil Hilton

Post by Neil Hilton »

Pat - there is a very good steel player in Kearney... Larry Bressington. He plays with "Tim Holcomb & the Union Cowboys", plays lead tele too - does the bouncing back and forth routine very well as right-hand-man with Tim. <www.timholcomb.com>

Ron - my wife is from Oshkosh, I'm from Cambridge, lived up in Burwell for a time, I own a western wear store there...
what was name of your Ogallala-based band back in the 80's??? - Neil
Pat Goodbla

Post by Pat Goodbla »

Thanks for your responses. I will follow up as much as I can. I am fairly close to Denver (3 hrs or so), and will be attending the Steel Jamb there on June 9. Players are listed in "Events and Announcements" on the Forum. Looking forward to meeting everyone there.

Pat
RON PRESTON

Post by RON PRESTON »

Neil,
I played for Ray Mullen, which BTW, is Del Mullen' Nephew, who builds the great MULLEN pedal steel guitar. The name of our group was called....Ray Mullen and the VIP's, and the VIP stood for...VERY IMPRESSIVE PICKERS...not Very Important people, as most people thought. Ray lived, and still does, in OGGALLALA, Ne. which is on I-80, and about6-7 miles from Lake Mccoanahey, and, heck, I KNOW I DID NOT SPELL THAT RIGHT, but, I fished there ALL the time, and (NO FISH STORY) caught a 45 pound STRIPPER out of that lake in '85. I HAVE PICS,GUYS!!!
I would LOVE TO SEE RAY AND TANYA Mullen ONE MORE TIME. They are GREAT PEOPLE.
God Bless All.
Ron
Tiny Olson

Post by Tiny Olson »

Hey Ron:

Was that a 45# stripper or a 45# striper.?.? Either way, good going !! A 45# striper is one fun fish. As an avid bass-fisherman, I can relate. Here in NY state the stripers run up the Hudson river from the ocean to spawn in the spring. While I'm a died in the wool black bass fisherman, some of my buddies drift live herring or troll for the stripers and they get some big, strong fish.

Tiny
Neil Hilton

Post by Neil Hilton »

Ron - you bet, you're talking my home territory here, I've been in on some great stringers of big walleye out of McCoughnehey - nice trout too below the dam in the canal running down to the Roscoe Road.... Roscoe, now there's a nice little town for ya!
RON PRESTON

Post by RON PRESTON »

Hey, Neil,
That lake you speak of is called Lake Oggallala, I fished there several times, but, Trout just don't like me I guess. Image
Oh, and the #45 STRIPPER was in the BOAT when I caught the #45 STRIPER. Gosh, DID WE HAVE FUN THAT DAY. Image
Ed Webster

Post by Ed Webster »

Anyone in the Nebraska area know, or know of, a gal steel player named Bev O'Dean? Played a duo with her husband, a group called the Del Mars...played all over Central Nebraska areas.

ed webster