What do you say to somebody when their CD sucks?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Mark van Allen

Post by Mark van Allen »

Hi Mike! You might tell him to make sure not to put a steel guitar on the cover or he'll never get a deal... Sorry, I just saw your other post...
Bill Llewellyn

Post by Bill Llewellyn »

<SMALL>What do you say to somebody when their CD sucks?</SMALL>
In a similar situation I once heard someone say, "They have lots of room for growth."

------------------
<font size=-1>Bill L | My steel page | Email | My music | Steeler birthdays | Over 50?</font>
Bill C. Buntin

Post by Bill C. Buntin »

Why beat around the bush? Plenty of folks have just plain told me that I suck. Realizing the truth about yourself is the key to growth. There is a saying, "The Truth Shall sat you free". BUT FIRST, it will piss you off.
Paul Graupp

Post by Paul Graupp »

This reminds me about a time years ago when I came in to play and they had another steel guitarist on stage. The singer/leader told me something I never forgot.......

This is how a steel guitar is supposed to sound !!

After I got out of the bathroom from being sick, I packed my stuff and went home. I didn't touch it for a week or so and then I went back to it......

Regards, Paul
Johan Jansen

Post by Johan Jansen »

Who am I to tell someone that his or her CD sucks? I don't have that authority and never want to have that.
Yesterday a steeler I know for a long time came up to me and told me my sound sucks.
Yes, he hurt me! So who am I to hurt another?? I told him to remove his lower ribbs to help himself.
Improving on the music or sound you hear is just an opinion, and they are there as much as ...holes. Image JJ<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Johan Jansen on 20 April 2002 at 07:32 AM.]</p></FONT>
Bill Llewellyn

Post by Bill Llewellyn »

Johan, you touched on something I was just thinking about yesterday.... What is it that makes for good music? The thought was sparked by something I heard coming from the sound system in a passing car. It was a bunch of randomly timed raspy sounding sample hits on some object (no, it wasn't the car rattling, it was sound from the radio or CD). I though it sounded ridiculous, but I'd assume the driver thought it was great stuff. What a contrast in opinions.

How do we decide what makes for good music? Is it by popular vote? Critical acclaim? Historical survival? Then there's the old adage, "I know what I like." Maybe that's it..... Image

------------------
<font size=-1>Bill L | My steel page | Email | My music | Steeler birthdays | Over 50?</font>
Alan Kirk

Post by Alan Kirk »

I used to be put in this position often when I worked as a recording engineer.

You try to find something nice to say. "Great drummer!" "Nice solo!" Whatever. Anything to get the person to stop asking you what you think.

--Alan Kirk

------------------
Terry Wendt

Post by Terry Wendt »

hmmm... perhaps OUCH would be appropriate? ...I would definitely include "don't go riding any bicycles near construction zones" in the possibilities. I loved your steel samples Mike! I couldn't imagine you having anything bad to say about anyone at all - with regards to the question about... "Sucks?"

God Bless you and may you have a quick and easy recovery.

------------------
TheEarlyDays.com

and appearing regularly...
Jimmy Crawford/Russ Hicks... and Buddy Emmons on Bass! aLotOfSpace.com

chas

Post by chas »

Tell him out of all the cds ive listened to this is one of them chas