Sara Evans Concert-NO STEEL!

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Ricky0ne1

Sara Evans Concert-NO STEEL!

Post by Ricky0ne1 »

Peoria, IL, March 21, 2002
Sara Evans came to Peoria with NO steel, NO dobro.. If I could, I'd ask her for my money back.. what a rip-off.. Paul Franklin and Jerry Douglas played on her CD's.. then goes on the road with a bunch of rock&rollers playing for her and NO sign of a steeler or dobro player.. I'm still p*ssed.. Image
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

A sign of the times I'm afraid, Ricky! Mark Wills, Tracy Lawrence and others have dropped steel from their road bands.

I just don't understand why, if these people MUST economise, they don't employ some of the excellent 'utility' players available! Steel and Dobro are such a 'signature' feature on the records, that it's a glaring omission on a live performance.

I feel your pain!

------------------
Roger Rettig
Emmons LGIII(D10), MCI D10 and Fender Stringmaster (triple-8)

Bill Terry

Post by Bill Terry »

Caught part of the Sara Evans show at the Travis County Rodeo a couple of weeks ago before our gig. Interesting that she covered both a Doobie Bros and a Bruce Hornsby tune..

No steel or dobro there either but she had a a great Tele player...

------------------
Home Page

Michael Johnstone

Post by Michael Johnstone »

Who the hell is Sara Evans?
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Sara Evans provided the vocal track on a great Jerry Douglas performance named 'Born To Fly' that was recently in the charts....
Janice Brooks

Post by Janice Brooks »

I heard from her lighting person she was covering ""gasp"" We Got The Beat

------------------
Janice "Busgal" Brooks
ICQ 44729047
Larry Hendrickson

Post by Larry Hendrickson »

I have a feeling that the majority of Sara Evans fans don't have the slightest idea what a dobro or pedal steel is anyway. I saw her live in Madison, WI and she only had lead guitar, bass, drums and keyboard. Her lead guitar player had a nice sound though. LH
Frank Parish

Post by Frank Parish »

What did you expect? I mean just how country is she? The more I look at CMT the more I think I'm watching the playboy channel. It's about sex and glitter, the music has nothing to do with CMT. Check out Linda Thomson, Jamie O'Neil, you name it. I heard a Martina McBride tune on an alternative station this morning. It's about crossover and record sales and has nothing to do with country music. It's great if that's what you're into but aren't there any girl acts that are country beside Loretta Lynn? Before I get flamed for listening to alternative I was listening for the dobro players playing blues and that kind of swamp country they're doing on there. It's 93.7 for you Nashvillians. They're on the web at 93.7.com.
Jeff Lampert

Post by Jeff Lampert »

<SMALL>Who the hell is Sara Evans?</SMALL>
Her single and album "Born To Fly" were nominated for song and album of the year by the CMA. She was a major player at the last awards show. She's also a brunette, and an extremely good-looking one at that.
Gene Jones

Post by Gene Jones »

One of the girls on our show did "Born to Fly" all last season....but I'm still not sure what the lyrics mean! www.genejones.com
Jason Stillwell

Post by Jason Stillwell »

Check out her first album, Three Chords and the Truth. Great west coast country produced by Pete Anderson. It's sad to see such a talented COUNTRY singer have to turn to pop JUNK in order to get any recognition. I like the single "Born To Fly," but I bought the CD, and the only thing good on it is that one song and the included photos. Image
Tim Harr

Post by Tim Harr »

RickyOne ~

I will be playing in Peoria 30 March Saturday night. From 9-1.

Plenty of great Pedal Steel and hot Tele pickin goin on at "Heinzers" Pub on SW Washington Street (downtown). It is next to Tractor Supply Co.

I will be with Southern Cross. This is Peoria's Hottest Country (new AND old) group.

From the likes of: Brad Paisley, Dwight Yoakum, Johnny Cash, Rodney Crowell, Marty Stuart, Buck Owens, Merle Haggard, George Strait, Alan Jackson, Hank Williams Sr, Hank Snow, Charli Robison, Radney Foster, plus new stuff on the Top 40, etc.....

C'mon on down and check it out.....There is NO PLACE in Peoria to hear LIVE PEDAL STEEL GUITAR but here!!!

Thanks,

Tim Harr http://communities.msn.com/TimHarrWebPage
Drew Howard

Post by Drew Howard »

The last few radio country acts I've seen haven't had steel. Keyboards and guitars seem to be the mainstays. Fiddle is fast disappearing, too, it seems.

I think it's a cycle and these instruments will regain popularity. But the economics of a big road show will dictate the size of the band, more production = smaller bands.

just my $0.02,

Drew Howard

------------------
www.newslinkassociates.com
www.drewhoward.com

Barney Y. Miller

Post by Barney Y. Miller »

People in the Atlanta area are blessed to have a major FM station playing the golden oldies where you hear plenty of pedal steel guitar and dobro. Its WYAY at 106.7 on your FM dial. Early morning show Rubarb Jones does a great job. We need more of this type radio formats. The station stays completly sold out in their share of the market..GO EAGLE 106.7